Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Oct 2013 (Sunday) 17:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to RAW help me some :)

Nissanfairladyz32
440 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 14, 2013 04:52 |  #16

Ive notced the same thing i can do most of my adjustments in the photoshop raw editor ACR

And only use Photoshop for doing the noise removal and sharpen and small touches here and there. It seems you can do most the color and Lightning adjustments in ACR

www.jamesmcguirephotog​raphy.com (external link)
5DIII / 24-70 2.8 ISL / 70-200 F2.8 IsII L / Flash = YN-560 III / YN-565

sponsored links
Edsport
662 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 14, 2013 07:20 |  #17

To view RAW photos i use Microsoft's RAW Image Viewer. It works the same as Windows Picture and Fax Viewer...

Cameras - Canon 350D, 5D
Lenses - Canon 18-55mm, 75-300mm, 50mm f/1.8, 24-105L, 24-70L
Flashes - Yongnuo YN460 II, YN468
RF-602 transmitter and 2 receivers

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 14, 2013 08:28 |  #18

xarik wrote in post #16368282 (external link)
I just shot a bunch of photos in RAW+L because my laptop doesn't view RAW files as pictures so I needed the JPG to see the photo, I hope this is normal :P

If you download Canon RAW codec, you will be able to view the RAW files directly in Windows/OSX.
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …/canon_raw_code​c_software (external link)

xarik wrote in post #16368282 (external link)
I'm wondering, is it possible that you do all of your editing in RAW for the most part? I'm pleased with almost all of the editing in RAW except I like to whiten the teeth, put vibrance to the hair and add contrast between my subject in the background, but I do that all after my RAW process.

I do all my editing to the RAW files. If someone is able to shoot jpegs adequately, that means that person is now a SUPER PRO, and almost always gets it correct in jpeg :). RAW allows you to make mistakes and correct for them. It also allows you to 'wake up' your pictures, and give you better range of editing.

I use Lightroom for all my editing. I dont even use photoshop that much. I am an absolute Lightroom nut. When importing to lightroom, I have a setting stored as default to do the following on import
Contrast +12
Hightlights -20
Shadows +20
Whites +12
Blacks -5
Vibrance +12

Under Detail
-Sharpening
Amount 75
Radius 1.4
Detail 35
Masking 80

These are just my default settings which I go and further tweak each picture. I am sure lots of people have different settings that they use as their baseline. This is just my baseline which I use to further adjust each image.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,776 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 14, 2013 12:42 |  #19

I've just used the automatic calibration on each of my monitors. I don't have lightroom but I can try it later. I should probably look more into it before I just go about and editing photos but I felt like mine turned out quite nice, I raised the brightness in all of the photos prior to that post.

Bodies: Canon 5D3 - Canon 1D4
Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake
Extras: 2 Neewer TT520 Speedlites - Manfrotto 3021BPRO and ballhead

Check out my Flickr (external link)!

PH68
599 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 14, 2013 13:07 |  #20

As a starting point, I'd take Lightroom over Photoshop everytime.

Fuji XE1 ~ XF18 ~ XF27 ~ XF60 ~ XC50-230

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 14, 2013 13:38 |  #21

Another quick tip I have, use flash ALL the time. Invest in a good flash. I would encourage people to invest in a good flash before investing in a good lens. The kit lens on most cameras is now adequate, where a flash can really wake up the image. Adequate fill lighting can make the world of a difference even with a crappy lens. I use flash all the time: Indoor, outdoor, lighted, dark: all the time.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

Nissanfairladyz32
440 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 14, 2013 13:42 |  #22

professorman wrote in post #16370452 (external link)
Another quick tip I have, use flash ALL the time. Invest in a good flash. I would encourage people to invest in a good flash before investing in a good lens. The kit lens on most cameras is now adequate, where a flash can really wake up the image. Adequate fill lighting can make the world of a difference even with a crappy lens. I use flash all the time: Indoor, outdoor, lighted, dark: all the time.

Whats the benefit of flash over continuous lighting ?

www.jamesmcguirephotog​raphy.com (external link)
5DIII / 24-70 2.8 ISL / 70-200 F2.8 IsII L / Flash = YN-560 III / YN-565

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 14, 2013 13:58 |  #23

Nissanfairladyz32 wrote in post #16370465 (external link)
Whats the benefit of flash over continuous lighting ?

Oh boy... continuous lighting can not hold a candle to flash lighting. It is almost impossible for a continous light to give the kind of power output that a flash can put out. Essentially, a flash is a light source that saves up ALL its energy to give ONE POWERFUL output, then it charges up back again to be ready to give out another BIG POWERFUL output. You can not get this kind of power out of a continuous light source unless you are drawing SERIOUS power out of the wall... think about large concert venues, or football fields. Continuous lighting can only provide okayish lighting in indoor settings. Continuous lighting is great for video, and for people who want to work with "what you see is what you get" lighting. It might be okay for product photography.

Generally, you always want fill lighting. If you learn lighting properly, how to use your flash, how to use it outside and inside, your images will magically increase. This is for 'people' photography of course. Obviously, flash will not help a landscape photographer. lol. Maybe I should have specified. I am a mainly a 'people' photographer.

quadwing
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 14, 2013 14:14 as a reply to  @ post 16369235 |  #24

I shoot RAW for professional shoots. I shoot JPEG when I'm just walking around town. I shoot RAW+JPEG when I know it's a shot I'll want to tinker with later.

I don't quite have the space for all those RAW files.

Camera gear: Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,776 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 14, 2013 17:29 |  #25

Yeh the 451 files that I have are taking up 6gigs! I'm already filled on my 1tb and my internal HDD shouldn't take more than it has :P I'm trying to find another external to start filling.

I looked into lighting but it's like $300 for a good speedlight and I just can't fork that kind of money out. I could buy some nice glass or some more GAS with that money ;P Rents wouldn't support that purchase. I did shoot a few with flash but I don't really see the gain because it almost blows out the subject (with the pop up) or it's too directional and doesn't cover them :/. I haven't leraned how to use them but obviously I need to learn how to edit too :P!!!

I calibrated my monitors with the in computer ones. The windows ones, I dont want to spend a bunch of money to calibrate a monitor, I'm not selling my images and they look ok w/o it for now. I could always just edit things on my laser TV if I need to ;P

Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 14, 2013 17:45 |  #26

nittaya wrote in post #16369235 (external link)
i do not know if lr5 can do batch processing or not . i have very old version lr3. there is one another raw converter "phase one's capture one pro 6" it can do that . that is to say you can make adjustment such as white balance, saturaion, contrast etc and apply them to a batch of pictures (raw/jepg). but this raw converter is very expensive. it is popular
with those who do portrait photography. i have used it as well but i feel the difference between the quality whether you use lr or dxo etc is so little that (unless one is pixel peep)
is not worth bothering about.

Lightroom has always done batch processing, there are several ways to "do" it, and LR makes it quick and easy to do!

With Photoshop/Bridge/Camer​a Raw there are also different approaches to batch processing, but many of us like to stay with Lightroom (and the integrated interface) if possible, without resorting to the complexities of Photoshop.

A quick way that I typically do the batch processing in Lightroom is to work on one photo from a batch/set, doing the "Basic" adjustments and any others that I'll want to "apply" to the set. Then, I'll select the whole set (with the first "master" photo staying as the "active" image. From there, in the Develop module, the first button in the lower right panel by default is "Synch". Click that and you can pick and choose which settings you want to apply to the batch of selected photos.

An alternative that can be nice to work with: there is a little icon next to the Synch button that you can click and "Synch" becomes "Auto Synch". With this setting, if you have the set selected, in the first "master" image you do an edit (and "activate" it/press Enter/Return if needed) that adjustment will be automatically applied to all the selected photos. Play with it! But, if you have that "on" and do "local" adjustments (crop, spot removal, local adjustment brushes, etc) then your results may not make you happy, so at that point I try to remember to click the function back to "Synch"!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,845 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 14, 2013 19:18 |  #27

No need to go into the complexities of Photoshop, you can do the same type of batch/sync with Bridge and/or ACR.

The OP has CS5 which as long as he has ACR6.4 he can see his RAW files in Bridge and develop them in ACR. It sounds like he has a budget restraint, so he should learn to use Bridge/ACR/PS rather than putting the cash out for LR. Of course he could use money he'd spend on LR to upgrade to CS6 (still available last time I checked thru Adobe) and get some new features in ACR/PS. It doesn't sound like he needs the database capability of LR to me.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,776 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 14, 2013 19:28 |  #28

What do you mean Database capability of LR. The option to see all of the files in the bottom of the screen? I have LR on a desktop, I will move it onto my laptop next time I go home and play with it :P I have LR 4.3 at home. is that compatible with CS5

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,845 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 14, 2013 19:57 |  #29

xarik wrote in post #16371336 (external link)
What do you mean Database capability of LR. The option to see all of the files in the bottom of the screen? I have LR on a desktop, I will move it onto my laptop next time I go home and play with it :P I have LR 4.3 at home. is that compatible with CS5

I didn't realize you had LR, it sounded like you were only looking into it in one of your early posts. I don't use LR, so someone else can go into more detail of its database function and how to take advantage of it if needed. LR has an edge over Bridge in that it "sees" files even if stashed on off-line drives. It also has "virtual copies" (ACR has Snapshots, similar but not the same).

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,776 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 14, 2013 20:01 |  #30

I dont' have it currently and I've honestly only used it twice as a precursor to PS because I'm no pro and just started ;P. Well I can look into all of this stuff but I need to figure out my stupid monitor situation to really get a good idea of what's showing correct colors. I feel like I can see some incredible images on these monitors but they surely arent my images

sponsored links

3,100 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to RAW help me some :)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.