Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 12:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

anyone have one of the newer "silk road" giottos tripods?

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,938 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 10, 2013 12:23 |  #1

im thinking of moving off of my gitzo g2220 explorer to a lighter tripod that does much of the same thing. was looking at the Giottos Pro Series 9354 aluminum one as the carbon versins are too expensive.

does anyone have any opinions on the general selection of silk road tripods? im skeptical of the weight on this one in particular as it is listed on most sites as 3.5lbs (making this on par with the carbon versions). whereas amazon says item weight is 4.6

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Oct 10, 2013 14:35 |  #2

I have one of their MTL 9360B aluminum tripods. It has an multi-positional center column, though no where near as easy to use as your explorer.

I did notice Giottos just redesigned their whole line. The YTL looks easier to operate (more smooth) than my MTL. I ended upgrading to RRS earlier this summer. No multi-positional center column but so far, so good. I did use said column for macro shots but as I said, so far, I haven't missed it much.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

kaitanium
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,938 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 11, 2013 10:51 |  #3

just checked in with someone on amazon and the tripod im looking at is 4.5lbs. false advertisement giottos!!

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,012 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 11, 2013 14:19 |  #4

I think that if you want the adaptability of your Gitzo Explorer you are not going to get anything lighter without compromising rigidity severely. Unfortunately it is heavy for a reason.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

kaitanium
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,938 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 11, 2013 19:24 |  #5

manfrottox 055CXpro4 looks pretty good and "cheap"
not sure about its stability. legs look pretty thin.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 12, 2013 08:42 |  #6

kaitanium wrote in post #16363037 (external link)
just checked in with someone on amazon and the tripod im looking at is 4.5lbs. false advertisement giottos!!

Is that product weight, or shipping weight? Packaging is still an important thing to know about.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,430 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 12, 2013 09:07 |  #7

Have a look at the Benro A2970F (external link) or if you want carbon fiber, the Benro C2970F (external link). I use a Benro A2970T and it's got the twist locks I prefer; it's a good solid tripod.

~Peter

kaitanium
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,938 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 13, 2013 01:29 |  #8

someone on amazon weighed his. i asked a question. he said it was 4.5.

oo that benro looks great too. ill probably go for A1980F. its pretty light! gosh i wish it had the Y section of the giottos but i will take a good look at it. thanks for the recommendation

peter_n
Goldmember
2,430 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 13, 2013 07:29 |  #9

Looks like Benro have phased out my twist lock version and now you can only buy the flip lock version. Pity. FWIW my aluminum A2970T weighs 4.7 lbs. Benro make good tripods and I think you'd find the A1980F stable and very durable if it's the correct size for your camera/lens.

~Peter

kaitanium
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,938 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 13, 2013 11:41 |  #10

yea i just need a relatively cheap light one to replace the one i have. i dont use tripods that often. the A1980F looks like it would fit the bill. spec'ed at a hair lower than 4lbs too! no need to pay $250+ for a 0.5 difference with carbon

149 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 14, 2013 16:11 |  #11

i have the 9383 and its awesome! VERY sturdy, lots of features and together with the 498rc2, solid as a rock! :)

i use 2 of them for my timelapse doly rail rig which weighs a LOT!

My 500px (external link), My Flickr (external link), My Blog (external link), My Fb page (external link), My Deviant (external link), My Tumblr (external link)
|6D|85mm 1.2 II L|Samyang 14mm 2.8|50mm 1.8|

sponsored links

2,219 views & 0 likes for this thread
anyone have one of the newer "silk road" giottos tripods?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.