Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Oct 2013 (Monday) 08:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Weather Resistance - 1DMKIIn, 7D, 1DMKIII (I know, beaten to death...)

fishrising
106 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 14, 2013 08:26 |  #1

I need some opinions please...I've been doing a ton of research, and am formulating my own opinions based on what I have experienced and what I have read, but I am looking for some more opinions, from you please. And yes, this is cross-posted between a few forums.

I sold my 1DMKIIn and 7D a while ago to obtain my 5D3. I am really enjoying my 5D3. However, I have some angst in using my 5D3 outdoors in "inclement" weather, even though it has some seals and gaskets on it. My angst is probably because it is the most expensive camera I have ever owned. I'll describe inclement as sprinkles, snow showers, fog, etc. And yes, I do have a raincover for it, and do use it.

I did not have this feeling while shooting the 1DMKIIn in this type of weather and not quite as much when shooting my 7D (all w/o a rain cover except in pure downpours).

I now want to purchase a second body for these inclement type weather situations again. One I won't have so much angst using like I do with the 5D3.

So, I am back to thinking about picking up a used 1DMKIIn, 7D or 1DMKIII. Or maybe a super remote possibility of trading my 5D3 for a 1D4. Figure, action sports use, like mountain biking in rain showers, skiing/snowboarding in snow/sleet/rain here in New England. Outdoor kid's soccer and baseball in the sprinkles. I don't mind full size, gripped bodies, so size is not much of a concern. Video is not a concern, if I go the 2nd body route. Megapixels is not a huge concern for me either (assuming going the 2nd body route). So, I think it comes down to weather resistance....

Out of the the 1DIIn, 7D and the 1DIII, how would you rate them, weather resistance wise between them? I am not looking for comments about "always using a rain cover," "they aren't waterproof," etc. I just want to hear from your experience among these 3 bodies, which are more weather resistant than which and any other beneficial information you might have on the subject.

Thank you in advance! Ben

Thanks! Ben
Canon 5DIII, 1DIII, 1DIIn, 16-35L/2.8, 24-70L/2.8, 70-200L/2.8, 50/1.8II, 50/2.5macro, Sigma 120-300/2.8
Canon EOS-M, 22/2, 18-55/3.5-5.6IS, EF-EOS M Adapter w/ EF-S 18-135 IS STM

sponsored links
vince_ross
350 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 14, 2013 11:05 |  #2

I do not own a 7D, so I can't really comment on the weather sealing on it. But, I own both of the other bodies (MkIIn & MkIII) and have never had any issue in the rain or snow (as long as it has a weather sealed lens on it). I've even had to rinse off one my cameras because it was splashed with mud, never had an issue.

Short of a complete downpour (which I probably would not be in), I wouldn't have a problem being out in bad weather with any of the 1D bodies. And, if I've been out in the rain with my equipment, I dry it off completely when I'm done.

IMHO, as long as it's not held underwater or sprayed with a high pressure water source, it should be fine.

www.ohiovalleyphoto.ne​t (external link)

TJays
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 14, 2013 12:04 |  #3

My 7D - 5Dmrk3 & 1DX have seen all kinds of weather, from 100 degree to minus 30, light rain, snow and fog. I have never had an issue, as stated above I would not have them in a downpour without protection. Otherwise the lens seal seems to give them the protection needed, Canon states, weather resistant, think I have push that statement without issues.
Now some Canon owners may have a different view, but to me these camera's are of no use if they can only be used on sunny warm days and Canon knows they will see bad weather. My view and experience only.

Regards
Terri Jean

5D4 Gripped-EOS 1DX Markll -600mm/4.0 II L-35-350mm/3.5 L-70-200/2.8 L-24-70mm/2.8 L-85mm/1.2 II L-50mm/1.2 L

Don ­ Madson
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 14, 2013 20:03 |  #4

I shoot cycling events outside in all sorts of weather...criterium, time trials, and road races in the spring and summer, cyclocross in the fall and winter. I do use protection, in the form of a Storm Jacket in heavier rain or snow, nothing if the rain or snow isn't significant. Part of the reason is that I spent LOTS of money (for me, anyhow), and I want to keep them in as good condition as I can. I also have invested in the CPS program, to get the 2 free "clean and adjust" services each year.

Yes, I know that "Professional" bodies are supposed to withstand extreme weather conditions, but I keep my car, my watches, and my fishing gear in the best condition possible, too. No point in subjecting any of 'em to unnecessary abuse...

Regards!
Don

dmadson.photoreflect.c​om
T'ai Chi Ch'uan...Relaxation, with an attitude!
---------------
70D, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, some lenses, a tripod, a monopod, some filters, a few straps, some batteries, 2 flash units, a few bags...;)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,080 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 14, 2013 20:42 |  #5

They're weatherproof until something shorts out. There is no way to know if the seals are all in good shape.

fishrising
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 14, 2013 21:01 |  #6

Don Madson wrote in post #16371416 (external link)
...but I keep my car, my watches, and my fishing gear in the best condition possible, too. No point in subjecting any of 'em to unnecessary abuse...

Regards!
Don

Here is a sampling of some of my other vices, none are safe queens:

IMAGE: http://www.fishrising.net/home/images/watches/GMTII_outdoors.JPG

Thanks! Ben
Canon 5DIII, 1DIII, 1DIIn, 16-35L/2.8, 24-70L/2.8, 70-200L/2.8, 50/1.8II, 50/2.5macro, Sigma 120-300/2.8
Canon EOS-M, 22/2, 18-55/3.5-5.6IS, EF-EOS M Adapter w/ EF-S 18-135 IS STM

Don ­ Madson
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 14, 2013 21:15 |  #7

Nice toys! I was a custom rod-maker for lotsa years (even two on commission for Abu-Garcia for the first president Bush), and have @30 watches in a box that was originally meant to hold around 60 separated kinds/sizes of flies. Most of my watches are vintage (1948 IWC, '55 Omega Bumper, '70 Constellation, others. None are safe queens, but...still maintain 'em as best i can...

Regards!
Don

dmadson.photoreflect.c​om
T'ai Chi Ch'uan...Relaxation, with an attitude!
---------------
70D, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, some lenses, a tripod, a monopod, some filters, a few straps, some batteries, 2 flash units, a few bags...;)

sponsored links

1,062 views & 0 likes for this thread
Weather Resistance - 1DMKIIn, 7D, 1DMKIII (I know, beaten to death...)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.