Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 14, 2013 19:25 |  #2806

Rocky Rhode wrote in post #16371250 (external link)
Once they get the cable problem resolved they can begin working on an ETTL model; the one thing I wish the current model was capable of doing.

I think that's what's called a complete redesign as it begets all the problems of marque-compatibility. Before they do that, I'd like to see:

1. The Cells IIC and the FT-16 controller integrated into a single unit - I wonder what, if anything, the FT-16S version mentioned elsewhere will offer on it's associated controller?
  2. Although the current 433MHz frequency has proved satisfactory so far (and unlike certain PW models, doesn't interfere with EU emergency frequencies), a switch to the 2.4GHz band would be desirable.
I don't honestly believe that there will ever be a solution to a 'cable problem' in any field. I feel that 'cable problems' will be with us for just about exactly the same time-span as cables are with us and that the solution is to get rid of the cables. I wish!

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 14, 2013 20:55 |  #2807

dmward wrote in post #16371180 (external link)
All the cables come from Godox. Think about it a minute. Cheetah Light is rebranding and reselling Godox product. Where else would the cables come from.

It this is endemic then Edward will find a solution by working with Godox to improve the cable construction. That's what resellers do, and we know Edward takes this seriously.

Another thing to consider is that since all the cables we have collectively are manufactured by Godox if there were an endemic problem it is likely to have shown up more than just with Nick.

It sounds like Nick is undertaking good troubleshooting technique for a system with multiple components. i.e. change one component and see if problem persists. If it does put original back into system and change another component. etc.

In this system, LIght-cable-battery, the cable is probably the most likely element. Since there are cable connections in both the light and battery that would be my next point of suspicion.

This, in a nutshell. I bought from Cheetah for a reason. I know Ed will take care of me regardless of what the situation is and when you've got a company with that kind of positive attitude, I want to help troubleshoot and get to the bottom of things.

Indeed, all the cables are from Godox. I'm going to do more comprehensive testing and try to sort things out.

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 14, 2013 20:58 |  #2808

lucky its a isolated thing so far and hope nicksan gets it figured out :)
things do happen and lemons cant get through
best of luck

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

elv
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 14, 2013 21:32 as a reply to  @ Chad D's post |  #2809

It kind of doesn't surprise me the standard coiled cord could end up causing some problem because it can put so much tension of the sockets. That seems to be the downside of it being such a good solid cord. I have some cheap ones for the Canon flashes and they are much lighter duty, but much less spring tension on the coils as well.

I think straight cords are the way to go.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 14, 2013 21:39 |  #2810

yup going to get the 2.5 cords when he gets them :) as it is now I put my battery really close so no tension

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 14, 2013 21:42 |  #2811

Regarding the cable connection; The cable connection on the light unit is vertical and the cable plug is 90* so there is minimal stress, even with the cable spring coil stretched a bit.

The cable connection into the battery has a locking collar which offers support and absorbs the spring coil stress. Its about as good a connector design as I've seen on a flash unit and battery that doesn't have screw locking connection.

That said, there are still lots of places in the connectors and cable for QA issues.

As Phil lamented, cables have been a consistent weak link in a system.

Considering ETTL incorporation; I'm not sure a redesign would be required. Godox has ETTL capabilities in smaller shoe mount flash units. That suggests that they have the firmware and circuits required. Adding it to the CL/AD-180/360 would require additional engineering, but it shouldn't presume loss of compatibility with existing equipment. That's more a firmware than hardware consideration it would seem.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 14, 2013 22:14 |  #2812

elv wrote in post #16371650 (external link)
It kind of doesn't surprise me the standard coiled cord could end up causing some problem because it can put so much tension of the sockets. That seems to be the downside of it being such a good solid cord. I have some cheap ones for the Canon flashes and they are much lighter duty, but much less spring tension on the coils as well.

I think straight cords are the way to go.

Now you know why I kept pushing for straight cords :cool:

JaycYu
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 14, 2013 23:05 |  #2813

I ziptie together the coil-cable with the swivel, 4 inches below the strobe head. There's plenty of cable in that 4" length, so there's little tension in that region, thus no stress at the socket.

However, when the stand extends to 6 feet, the battery pack dangles about. I was so hoping for it to double as a counterweight. Even when deployed like this, the ziptie takes all of the batt's weight.

Hundreds of post previous, someone mentioned boiling the wire to set its shape longer; if Cheetah Stand doesn't push out a 2m non-coiling line, I might try that.

My flickr pictures (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 15, 2013 01:50 as a reply to  @ JaycYu's post |  #2814

As far as I understand they are going to make the shorter straight cables. I don't know when though.

The FT-16S turns out to be a new smaller receiver for the new V850 Lithium speedliight. The transmitter is the same as the current FT-16 and CL-TX, so the V850 should work in nicely with the Cheetah Lights and Witstro.

No more AA's... happy days :-)

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 15, 2013 07:46 |  #2815

dmward wrote in post #16371668 (external link)
Regarding the cable connection; The cable connection on the light unit is vertical and the cable plug is 90* so there is minimal stress, even with the cable spring coil stretched a bit.

The cable connection into the battery has a locking collar which offers support and absorbs the spring coil stress. Its about as good a connector design as I've seen on a flash unit and battery that doesn't have screw locking connection.

That said, there are still lots of places in the connectors and cable for QA issues.

Agreed. I also have the battery attached very close to the light itself so there should not be too much strain. These lights are very moderately used. I've used them at about 5 weddings. I still usually use my Einstein for outdoors work so these lights are only used at receptions where they go on a light stand and remain pretty still. So again, cable strain probably isn't the issue.

I'll report back my finding for the benefit of the group.

Thanks for all the help.

jcolman
Goldmember
2,642 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 15, 2013 08:17 |  #2816

speaking of coiled wire, I routinely have my wires stretched to the max. I keep the battery clamped low on the light stand to keep the weight down low. I have yet to have an issue with my lights not firing. I have probably put over 10,000 pops on my lights since I bought them.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 15, 2013 08:44 as a reply to  @ jcolman's post |  #2817

The PB960 is not that heavy that putting it as low as possible on the stand will give a lot more stability.

To me the angled connector is the weakest part of the cable and then that it is also a heavy cable that is coiled which ad even more weight. The DIN battery connector has no angle and even without using the locking collar the connector does not detach except in an emergency.

The connector in the CL/AD-180/360 is very strong and I could not even take it out to check on damage after the drop on the ground.

On the new Godox V850 flash. Yes was time that Li-ion entered that area of flashes.

Wishlist:

- battery-packs compatible with other flashes
- receiver/transmitters not bound to one brand or even worse one type

What I really like about the Godox Witstro series is that I can take the battery pack and connect it to my old Canon 550EX or the more modern 580EX and it works like a charm. I can take accessories from other suppliers and attach it to the flash.

It is made to be compatible but all the other stuff is made to be incompatible to other brands or types.

At least it is not as bad as Canon not wanting to implement certain compatibility to pre 2012 flashes on the ST-E3-RT.

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 15, 2013 08:46 |  #2818

ZoranC wrote in post #16371776 (external link)
Now you know why I kept pushing for straight cords :cool:

Or make your own like I did. :cool:

https://photography-on-the.net …p=16213127&post​count=2246

JaycYu
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 16, 2013 12:15 |  #2819

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7291/10174185564_8d6a348e40_c.jpg
-Kritis Dawn
-43" softbox umbrella + CL 360 + silver reflector
-930nm infrared

-I couldn't reproduce the solid specularity from the last shoot. In this case, the light is very diffused, closer to what the light is on a cloudy day which is degenerative for infrared.
-28" Beauty dish and 60" softbox umbrella sample shots may be posted in the future.
-Full resolutions with Exif info is found here in my secondary account:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/94410435@N03 (external link)

My flickr pictures (external link)

hbomb69
255 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 16, 2013 12:24 |  #2820

Totally agree Whortleberry..I'd buy one in an instant.

I think that's what's called a complete redesign as it begets all the problems of marque-compatibility. Before they do that, I'd like to see:
1.The Cells IIC and the FT-16 controller integrated into a single unit - I wonder what, if anything, the FT-16S version mentioned elsewhere will offer on it's associated controller?
2.Although the current 433MHz frequency has proved satisfactory so far (and unlike certain PW models, doesn't interfere with EU emergency frequencies), a switch to the 2.4GHz band would be desirable.

CANON 5D MKIII x 2 / CANON 50D / CANON 550D
http://www.michaelhard​castle.co.uk (external link)
Facebook.com/michaelha​rdcastlephotography

sponsored links

1,293,468 views & 272 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.