Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 16 Jul 2013 (Tuesday) 02:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Finally! The full frame NEX is coming!

Osiriz
THREAD ­ STARTER
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 15, 2013 05:05 as a reply to  @ post 16372224 |  #151

Accurate size comparison between the A7R/A7, the Leica M and the 5D3.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Source: Mirrorlessrumors.com

sponsored links
edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 15, 2013 05:07 |  #152

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16372224 (external link)
\If they come out with a Leica M adapter, there just won't be any real reason to get a Leica anymore, unless you really want the red dot.

And proper rangefinder focusing.

And an optical viewfinder.

And a sensor that is optimized for rangefinder glass (especially non-retrofocal wide angles).

And far, far, far better build quality.

Oh, and a red dot; of course.

This camera will have virtually no effect on Leica sales.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

Osiriz
THREAD ­ STARTER
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 15, 2013 05:14 |  #153

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16372224 (external link)
$2,200 for a tiny 36mp FF is just crazy. If they come out with a Leica M adapter, there just won't be any real reason to get a Leica anymore, unless you really want the red dot.

+1

And thanks to the EF adapter, there won't be any real reason to buy a Canon body any more. At least not if you are a landscaper or a studio shooter.

Canon can now forget to sell their upcoming high MP sensor in a a 7.000 bucks 1D-body. Every sane person will go for the Sony. :)

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 15, 2013 05:19 |  #154

Osiriz wrote in post #16372208 (external link)
Digglloyd is apparently a tester of the A7R, and it seems he accidentally leaked some stuff through his website. He quickly removed the post, but it was TOO LATE because of the RSS feed. :)

It is nothing major, nothing on IQ e.t.c. The post can be seen right here: http://webcache.google​usercontent.com …/20131015_2-Sony-A7R.html (external link)

Some bits and pieces from the leak.
* Breakthrough in Image Quality in a Compact Package.
* EVF and rear LCD. The best yet seen on any camera.
* The A7R weights 465g with battery and card which is 32g less than the Olympus E-M1.
* Makes the D800E look dated.
* Lens line is a weakness at launch, but is saved thanks to adapters.
* Canon might want to change their underwear, because the Sony A7R is the camera that could really eat into their sales.

I really like the sound of this.

My money is ready to fly!

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,135 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 15, 2013 05:43 |  #155

Osiriz wrote in post #16372292 (external link)
+1

And thanks to the EF adapter, there won't be any real reason to buy a Canon body any more. At least not if you are a landscaper or a studio shooter.

Canon can now forget to sell their upcoming high MP sensor in a a 7.000 bucks 1D-body. Every sane person will go for the Sony. :)

Which 24 f/1.4, 85 f/1.2 and 300 f/2.8 I should get for the 7r ?

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 15, 2013 06:25 |  #156

Osiriz wrote in post #16372289 (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Source: Mirrorlessrumors.com

It really isn't bad in the aesthetic department. I'm ready to buy right now!! :D

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 15, 2013 07:45 |  #157

Osiriz wrote in post #16372292 (external link)
+1

Pretty much.

The A7r seems to have fixed the one major flaw of the D800 - that is, the large flange distance of the Nikon mount!

I'd still buy the high-MP Canon body for wildlife photography using supertelephoto lenses and phase-detection AF, though.

Any word on availability? I'd love to have one (with Canon and NIkon adapters) before heading off to South America in December!

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 15, 2013 07:51 |  #158

edge100 wrote in post #16372291 (external link)
And proper rangefinder focusing.

i.e. no focus peaking in the non-existent EVF.

And an optical viewfinder.

Which suffers from parallax errors, and what you see is definitely not what you get.

And a sensor that is optimized for rangefinder glass (especially non-retrofocal wide angles).

For the Sony camera to work at all, its microlenses would also have to be optimised for a short flange distance.

And far, far, far better build quality.

Apart from the lack of weather sealing, and the fact that you can buy (and break) three of these for the price of a Leica.

Oh, and a red dot; of course.

I'll take my 50% extra pixels any day.

This camera will have virtually no effect on Leica sales.

It'll eat in to the sales of bodies to those who use Leica bodies as professional cameras. It will have no effect on the large proportion of Leica sales to people who buy it as a status symbol rather than as a photographic tool.

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 15, 2013 07:59 |  #159

Come on Sony, this is your time, celebrate!

You've achieved something I thought would never happen:
Make me want to buy a Sony product (with the EF adapter of course).

My money is ready, shut up and take it.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 15, 2013 08:00 |  #160

Osiriz wrote in post #16372289 (external link)

I would think the Leica is significantly bigger but maybe it is when looking at it in person.

jdizzle wrote in post #16372367 (external link)
It really isn't bad in the aesthetic department. I'm ready to buy right now!! :D

Remember the wait for the NEX-7? Better get in early. ;)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 15, 2013 08:12 |  #161

So, it's coming out with Zeiss 24-70 and 70-200 f/4 lenses. I wonder how these compare optically to Canon's offerings, or whether using the 24-70 II and 70-200 f/2.8 II with adapters will be a better option.

Any idea if Zeiss will release the 55/1.4 'Otus' in E-mount?

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 15, 2013 08:17 as a reply to  @ dgrPhotos's post |  #162

x_tan wrote in post #16372322 (external link)
Which 24 f/1.4, 85 f/1.2 and 300 f/2.8 I should get for the 7r ?

Whichever you like, with a super-short flange distance, it's a matter of time before adapters are made for every relevant mount under the sun, if they aren't already.

If anything, an M mount adapter would make the most sense for the A7, who's going to buy a camera like this to mount heug DSLR lenses on it? Buy a DSLR instead then.

Shadowblade wrote in post #16372484 (external link)
i.e. no focus peaking in the non-existent EVF.

Which suffers from parallax errors, and what you see is definitely not what you get.

For the Sony camera to work at all, its microlenses would also have to be optimised for a short flange distance.

Apart from the lack of weather sealing, and the fact that you can buy (and break) three of these for the price of a Leica.

I'll take my 50% extra pixels any day.

It'll eat in to the sales of bodies to those who use Leica bodies as professional cameras. It will have no effect on the large proportion of Leica sales to people who buy it as a status symbol rather than as a photographic tool.

Cool, you took the words right out of my mouth... If the VF does a 5x or 10x zoom when you turn the focus ring, and gives you the option to place the zoom point, it would be the ultimate in manual focus camera tech. Even if you can't place the zoom point, well, the Leica can't either.

Shadowblade wrote in post #16372540 (external link)
So, it's coming out with Zeiss 24-70 and 70-200 f/4 lenses. I wonder how these compare optically to Canon's offerings, or whether using the 24-70 II and 70-200 f/2.8 II with adapters will be a better option.

Canon lenses are faster, so there's that, but IMO it depends on whether you already own one or both. Zeiss 24-70 is OSS so it will be stabilized.

Otus for E mount needs to happen.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 15, 2013 08:28 |  #163

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16372556 (external link)
Whichever you like, with a super-short flange distance, it's a matter of time before adapters are made for every relevant mount under the sun, if they aren't already.

If anything, an M mount adapter would make the most sense for the A7, who's going to buy a camera like this to mount heug DSLR lenses on it? Buy a DSLR instead then.

Cool, you took the words right out of my mouth... If the VF does a 5x or 10x zoom when you turn the focus ring, and gives you the option to place the zoom point, it would be the ultimate in manual focus camera tech. Even if you can't place the zoom point, well, the Leica can't either.

You've both utterly missed the point of the Leica camera. Denigrating manual focusing through an optical viewfinder - the absolute best focusing method for street photography and a wonder in low light - shows me just how ill-informed you are.

Look, I'm not so foolish to think that Leica is the be all and end all of cameras. I don't own a Leica digital camera (and I never will; as good as they are, they are still jut computers with a lens on the front). But to think that there is no reason - other than status - to buy or use one is simply ludicrous.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,148 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 15, 2013 09:22 |  #164

Shadowblade wrote in post #16372540 (external link)

And I wonder about the how realistic using EF-mount lenses on a tiny camera is (both ergonomically and structurally). If people find it truly workable in practice, then I can easily see myself selling my 5D III and getting one of these. I would love to use my TS-E lenses on a 36MP camera with outstanding DR.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 15, 2013 09:35 |  #165

David Arbogast wrote in post #16372712 (external link)
And I wonder about the how realistic using EF-mount lenses on a tiny camera is (both ergonomically and structurally). If people find it truly workable in practice, then I can easily see myself selling my 5D III and getting one of these. I would love to use my TS-E lenses on a 36MP camera with outstanding DR.

No more unrealistic than attaching a tiny 5D2 or D800 body to a supertelephoto mounted on a tripod.

You mount the body to the lens, not the other way around.

sponsored links

35,887 views & 0 likes for this thread
Finally! The full frame NEX is coming!
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.