Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Sep 2013 (Monday) 19:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Used Lenses??

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,729 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 02, 2013 02:15 |  #16

I have bought almost all of my lenses used. I have never had any type of malfunction with any of them, and I use them very hard. I would not hesitate to buy a used lens. In fact, if a new lens was $2,000 and the same lens used was $1950, guess which one I'd buy . . . that's right - I'd save the $50 an buy the used one. As far as I am concerned, there is no benefit to buying new.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 15, 2013 15:39 |  #17

jtmiv wrote in post #16337768 (external link)
Dear Tammy,

I've purchased used lenses and cameras from the forum here on POTN, as well as from Ebay, KEH, Cameta Camera and Adorama. I've even purchased lenses and cameras posted for sale on fishing message boards, and everyone knows that fishermen are born liars, yet never once have I had any regrets.

The vast majority of people selling used are not looking to fleece anyone and do a good to great job of describing their used gear. On occasion a cosmetic blemish may be missed but I have never received any used gear that did not function as it was supposed to function. I have always received everything that was included in the description and on more than one occasion I've received something extra like a filter or strap or case.

I have a background in sales of construction equipment and a lot of those sales involved used equipment. Just because something is 2, 5, or even 20 years old does not mean that it's useful life is over. A lot of camera gear is sold just like heavy equipment is sold. When an item is surplus to a user's needs it is often sold to free up money to purchase something that will get greater utilization. With that background I have come to appreciate that used camera gear often represents a better value than new gear for my usage habits and I buy with that in mind.

Don't be afraid to buy used!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

well put

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

CaliWalkabout
337 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 15, 2013 16:11 |  #18

I buy gear used all the time, for both my music hobby and photography, through forums. I've never had a bad experience. If the seller passes the smell test (they communicate well, their ad is robust and their posts on the forum are substantive) I don't think there's any reason to hesitate. The vast majority of people are honest.

Buying used saves a ton of money. Personally I don't think buying new is worth it most of the time.

6D, 17-40L, 24L II, 50L, 100L, 70-300L.

jmckayak
481 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2009

Oct 15, 2013 18:06 |  #19

I buy a lot of used equipment. Tripods, heads, plates, lenses, filters and other bits and pieces. If I can save %30 and it is in good shape, it is quite safe. I have met locally for in-person purchase and have bought over the internet from across the country.

On POTN, check for feedback and see if the seller has been active on the site. Obviously, if someone has 3 posts and is selling a $10K lens, you want to verify. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is...

m3incorp
989 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 15, 2013 19:07 |  #20

I have bought and sold a couple lenses on this forum and also on Fred Miranda. All went without a problem. What I don't do is, trade. I've heard of many people having successful trades and a couple with bad experiences.

7D, 10D, Canon EFS 18-55mm modded
Canon EF 50mm, Canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII VC
Canon EF 70-300mm, 70-200 F4 L
, Canon 430ex ii Speedlite.

pknight
Goldmember
2,655 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 17, 2013 20:59 as a reply to  @ m3incorp's post |  #21

If buying from an individual on eBay, it is important that they have a policy of accepting returns. I recently purchased a very clean Tamron 17-50 2.8 non-VC at a great price. The seller had a 14-day return policy, and I was glad he did, since the lens would not focus wide open at the long end. I returned it and purchased a new copy that works great.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

brit84
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 18, 2013 00:03 |  #22

My entire gear list save for the 40d, tripod, CF cards, modifiers was all bought used. 0 problems

5DIII/grip |5DII/grip | 40D/grip | 17-40L| 24-70L 2.8 II|70-200L IS f2.8 II | 580EXII x2 | Lensbaby composer | Benro 358 w/ Q3 | 2 Einsteins/Vagabond mini.
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

Mrslinger85
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 18, 2013 09:21 |  #23

I pretty much only buy on this forum now and have had nothing but great experiences and gotten great products. That doesn't mean that there aren't liars or people trying to scam you out there, but I've had really good luck. If you can, try to get stuff local and meet the seller so you can actually use/see the equipment. I've met a few buyers and sellers from this forum in person and I prefer that. Also saves on shipping. But you can't argue with the amount of money you save buying used. New gear, particularly lenses, seem to have inflated prices.
Also, every lens except my 50mm I bought used. I got my 5d MkII used, and I got my grip used.
The only thing I tend to buy new are memory and batteries.

Jon E.
My Gear
My Flickrexternal link

sponsored links

2,878 views & 0 likes for this thread
Used Lenses??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.