Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Oct 2013 (Saturday) 05:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Silent Shutter vs Not

dnauer
527 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 14, 2013 10:07 |  #16

I loved the 6Ds silent mode when I rented it, to me my 70D's silent mode is not nearly so "silent". The 6D's has a quieter and smoother sound than I think I'm getting on the 70D -- and the lost of frame rate is very noticible on the 70D.

sponsored links
gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 14, 2013 12:32 |  #17

dnauer wrote in post #16369921 (external link)
I loved the 6Ds silent mode when I rented it, to me my 70D's silent mode is not nearly so "silent". The 6D's has a quieter and smoother sound than I think I'm getting on the 70D -- and the lost of frame rate is very noticible on the 70D.

Most likely seems (or is) quieter on the 6D because of the muffling due to the body composition.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,370 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 14, 2013 12:35 |  #18

Frodge wrote in post #16364905 (external link)
How does it silence the shutter?

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16365005 (external link)
Garrote

Bones1974 wrote in post #16365128 (external link)
bw!

+1 That was rich. :lol:

Mark J.
Gear

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,370 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 14, 2013 12:38 |  #19

Silent mode is awesome on the 6D. I can see it being used extensively at events like weddings and stage performances where the louder clacking of other cameras would be annoying.

Mark J.
Gear

Lojt
64 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 16, 2013 03:59 |  #20

Another tradeoff is a longer blackout period of the viewfinder. Also i read somewhere that it uses more power. Not sure about that last one though.

http://lojtvedfoto.dk (external link)
http://portraet-fotografen.dk (external link)
http://produkt-fotografen.dk (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/lojtvedfoto (external link)

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 16, 2013 04:24 |  #21

I've had my 5D3 set on silent since the first time I tried it. I don't machine gun the shutter anyway so the fps loss is negligable for me. The benefit of less noise in wildlife, macro and event shoots, such as wedding ceremonies, outweigh any performance loss. Even if it does require more power I'm not worried, I've got 8 Lp-e6 batteries to go with my 5D3 and 70D, and a pair in a grip usually lasts all day and upwards of 2,000 photos. I just wish the silent shutter was as effective in the 70D, which is good but not as good as the 5D3.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

TheArchitect
326 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 16, 2013 14:04 |  #22

I just got a 5D3 and tried the silent shutter. I can't imagine going back to the regular version for anything other than sports and the higher fps.

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 16, 2013 14:20 |  #23

If the silent shutter does reduce shutter wear, I would use it more. I have no qualms about using it, however, I normally stick to regular mode for regular family photography and such.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 16, 2013 14:23 |  #24

I've shot over 15,000 images with my 6D in silent shutter mode and I haven't noticed any ill effects.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 16, 2013 15:06 |  #25

What's the point of a silent shutter when it's always been nearly silent, what we need is silent mirror:rolleyes:

professorman wrote in post #16376055 (external link)
If the silent shutter does reduce shutter wear, I would use it more. I have no qualms about using it, however, I normally stick to regular mode for regular family photography and such.

As per my sarcastic remark above, silent shutter probably does nothing for shutter wear, but it could help the mirror box last longer(assuming the parts used to dampen the mirror movement don't become a more likely failure point).

Anyway I love using it for wildlife(or anytime I don't want to minimize attention being drawn to me) when burst isn't needed.

Gobeatty
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 16, 2013 19:49 as a reply to  @ lovemyram4x4's post |  #26

The other cost, and the reason I switch between silent and regular mode, is the increase in lag time in silent mode. The 6D isn't slow in silent mode, but dang it's fast in regular mode. Chasing my kids even if not machine gunning, the faster response in regular mode is nice. Agree with other posters that the silent mode is a good bit quieter and I use it often.

6D | 35 f2 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28 - 135 f3.5 - 5.6 | 70-210 f4

sponsored links

3,898 views & 0 likes for this thread
Silent Shutter vs Not
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.