Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 13:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Storage questions.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 16, 2013 13:49 |  #1

I have a drawer dedicated to all my gear. I was in the habit of putting most of my lenses back in the boxes after use if they weren't lenses that were use a lot. I find this annoying in the sense that it becomes a real pain and disincentive to use them. I would like to lay them all out in my drawer so I can easily pick an choose as I want. My question is if its ok to lie a t-shirt on the bottom of the drawer, or if not, what is the best thing to put down? Also, can you throw a little cotton cloth over the top of all te lenses to avoid dust buildup or is there a better alternative? Or is it just a better idea to put them back in the original boxes as i ive been doing all along?

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Oct 16, 2013 14:23 |  #2

NEITHER.

Put all of your lenses and camera into a good quality padded camera case that you can pick up and go with.

If you have too many lenses to carry them all at once, simply put the extras vertically on a conventional flat shelf or laid down sideways in the drawer with the supplied caps on both ends of the stored lenses. No padding should be necessary but a terrycloth towel would be what I would choose if I felt that padding was needed. Dust never hurt a lens' exterior, so you don't need to be worried about covering the stored equipment. Simply blow off the dust if any finds its way to the equipment.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 16, 2013 14:26 |  #3

It's a wooden drawer. So probably need something like a cloth underneath just to keep from rolling about and knocking. I would think to throw something over them to prevent dust buildup?

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Oct 16, 2013 14:32 |  #4

Frodge wrote in post #16376068 (external link)
It's a wooden drawer. So probably need something like a cloth underneath just to keep from rolling about and knocking. I would think to throw something over them to prevent dust buildup?

Put a towel on the drawer bottom. Put caps on both ends of the lenses (and on your camera body unless you have a lens mounted). Put your equipment on the towel. Close the drawer. It's that simple. ;)

Having lenses and even a body bump into each other in that sort of storage situation is totally a non-issue. These things are tools, not precious treasures.

Skip Douglas

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 16, 2013 14:33 |  #5

Frodge wrote in post #16375997 (external link)
I have a drawer dedicated to all my gear. I was in the habit of putting most of my lenses back in the boxes after use if they weren't lenses that were use a lot. I find this annoying in the sense that it becomes a real pain and disincentive to use them. I would like to lay them all out in my drawer so I can easily pick an choose as I want. My question is if its ok to lie a t-shirt on the bottom of the drawer, or if not, what is the best thing to put down? Also, can you throw a little cotton cloth over the top of all te lenses to avoid dust buildup or is there a better alternative? Or is it just a better idea to put them back in the original boxes as i ive been doing all along?

I think you are being a 'little' too overprotective of your lenses... ease up a bit... lol. I use two drawers in a filling cabinet to keep my overflow gear. I put a sponge on the bottom and sides of one of the draws. The draw with the sponge, I drop anything in there, lenses, bodies, flashes, etc. The other drawer, I put my lens bags, and I can put lenses in it in the Canon lens bags. I use foam similar to pelican foam. You can get some cheap foam by using bed mattress cover foam.

I now keep most of my gear in my Pelican case, however, I have about 5 different other camera bags and use each for different venues. When I return home, I sometimes stick them in the drawer, or file them back into my Pelican case.

If the lens is in the drawer, there very low chances of dust getting in there. No need to cover them. I used to be 'overprotective' as well, but I found that it hinders my photography, so I eased up a bit and became more relaxed.

IMAGE: http://www.cactuscontainers.com/packaging-supplies/custom-foam-inserts/custom-foam-insert-03-t.jpg

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 16, 2013 14:36 |  #6

I use extra camera bags that I have anyway.

Putting them back into the boxes will only lead to one thing: dropped lenses. Not much of a good thing.

Cloths like T-shirts are bad because they lose fibers all the time.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 16, 2013 14:37 |  #7

I agree with the overprotective part. My concern is really dust accumulation on the lenses. They're all capped. Right now I have a t-shirt lining the bottom and a little cotton baby blanket over them just to keep clean. I wish I could just find myself a couple drawstring pouches to put them in. Need one for Tokina 12-24 and one for a tamron 70-300vc. The rest of my lenses are in Lowe pro lens packs.

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 16, 2013 14:46 as a reply to  @ professorman's post |  #8

Here's a different option for you.

http://www.amazon.com …s=pelican+padde​d+dividers (external link)

This is the padded divider that comes with the Pelican 1510 case. You could purchase the padded divider to place in the drawer which comes with a padded foam top for $65.00 via Amazon. This will hold 2 camera bodies and @ 4-6 lenses with one being a 70-200 size.

Don't know your budget, but this is an option. You could always splurge on the 1514 for @ $160 that would include a carry-on size case.

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Oct 16, 2013 14:50 |  #9

Frodge wrote in post #16376091 (external link)
My concern is really dust accumulation on the lenses.

Dust on the outside of a lens never does anything negative or harmful to the lens and certainly won't affect images. I've had mud spatters on the outsides of my lenses and the camera when photographing motocross racing from trackside many years ago and I still have the cameras and lenses which are in perfect operating condition. I bought the equipment I'm referring to in 1967.

Skip Douglas

Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 16, 2013 15:01 |  #10

Would there w any harm in lying a cloth over the top?

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 16, 2013 15:09 as a reply to  @ Frodge's post |  #11

Not a bit, depending on where you live.

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L

Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 16, 2013 15:10 |  #12

Staten Island ny

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 16, 2013 15:21 as a reply to  @ Frodge's post |  #13

Your good. If you lived somewhere that was high humidity, and no A/C the dampness could be a problem.

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 16, 2013 16:43 |  #14

At home I store mine in a Pelican 1624 case and have for years. IMO thats the best way to do it. You can see my review of it here: LINK

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 16, 2013 16:47 |  #15

I would love to do that. Funds don't allow it right now. Unfortunately.

sponsored links

4,573 views & 0 likes for this thread
Storage questions.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.