Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 15 Oct 2013 (Tuesday) 22:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How should I get rid of this graffiti?

TyDawsonPhoto
68 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 15, 2013 22:22 |  #1

Took this shot the other day think I think that just having the blue without the graffiti would make this so much better any suggestions on how to cover it up? Thanks!

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2824/10303070896_6cb925b39e_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …dawsonphotos/10​303070896/  (external link)
IMG_7117 (external link) by TyDawsonPhoto (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 15, 2013 22:48 |  #2

A couple of layers of paint will deal with that. I suggest some kind of suspension system from the bridge, alternately a boat with a couple of anchors and a tall ladder.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

TyDawsonPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 16, 2013 03:44 |  #3

tim wrote in post #16374482 (external link)
A couple of layers of paint will deal with that. I suggest some kind of suspension system from the bridge, alternately a boat with a couple of anchors and a tall ladder.

The I beams are wide enough to walk on and throw the paint on.

armis
890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 16, 2013 04:47 |  #4

Looks like a painstaking clone job. Shouldn't be very difficult, just tedious :).

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 16, 2013 11:44 |  #5

I have just downloaded the original jpg from Flickr to have a good look at the problem you face and the first thing that strikes me is you will have prolems with the noise and Chromatic Aberation - wow - I haven't seen anything with that much noise for ages.

You may find it easier to run the RAW through some serious noise / CA reduction first so that you get a cleaner image to work with.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,374 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 16, 2013 12:08 |  #6

The Tokina 12-24 explains the CA, but the noise must have come from a seriously underexposed image lightened up to the current exposure. The T1i is no noise pro (I own one), but it's not that bad at ISO 800.

I downloaded the original and will mess with it. Maybe it will be usable at web rez.

Mark J.
Gear

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,374 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 16, 2013 13:09 |  #7

Here's my attempt at it.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

I don't like the blue. It's distracting. Here's a version with a less eye-grabbing color.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Mark J.
Gear

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 16, 2013 14:47 |  #8

tim wrote in post #16374482 (external link)

:lol:

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,055 posts
Gallery: 196 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 17, 2013 00:37 as a reply to  @ professorman's post |  #9

I think you would be better off to 'repaint' the bridge. Here's an edit where I selected the girders, painted them blue, applied some shading, noise and a bit of blur. I also did the same for the concrete abutment. The graffiti on the rail I just cloned out.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 17, 2013 00:49 |  #10

NavyDoc, wow, yeah, I'd say you did it! Hopefully the OP will offer you some good "recompense" to do a full-size version!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,374 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 17, 2013 07:36 |  #11

Nice work, Doc. That's what I was trying to do, but I couldn't get that depth in the paint. Would you care to post up a few steps? I don't need screen shots, just the steps you used to get the natural looking depth on the girder paint.

Mark J.
Gear

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,055 posts
Gallery: 196 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 17, 2013 09:50 as a reply to  @ M_Six's post |  #12

Thanks. Well, first I used the eyedropper to select a shade of blue off the bridge girder then using the polygonal lasso tool and on a seperate layer, I made a selection for each girder (and a seperate one for the abutment later). I painted in the selections with blue then applied some noise (gaussian, about 4.8%) and then blurred the noise (blur>gaussian>radius .5 pixels). I then created another new layer and with the girders still selected, I used a large, soft brush and black to add the shadows. By keeping the girders selected, I could use just the edge of a large brush and have it apply color to only within the selected area. I lowered the opacity of the 'shadow' layer. I also applied a curves adjustment to only the girder selections so I could adjust the tone down to better match the underside of the bridge.

For the concrete abutment, I did virtually the same as the girders with the exception of also applying some patches of darker color on a seperate layer in overlay blend mode just to add a little more randomness.

Here's a shot at 100% to show how it blends with the rest of the image a bit better. Before I started my edit, I had also applied CA removal in ACR (I'm set up so jpgs and tifs open in ACR by default) and reduced image noise using Neat Image.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Midlife ­ Crisis
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 17, 2013 09:57 |  #13

TyDawsonPhoto wrote in post #16374858 (external link)
The I beams are wide enough to walk on and throw the paint on.

They aren't wide enough for me to walk on.

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS
Leica M3 :p

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,374 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 17, 2013 10:09 |  #14

navydoc wrote in post #16377923 (external link)
Thanks. Well, first I used the eyedropper to select a shade of blue off the bridge girder then using the polygonal lasso tool and on a seperate layer, I made a selection for each girder (and a seperate one for the abutment later). I painted in the selections with blue then applied some noise (gaussian, about 4.8%) and then blurred the noise (blur>gaussian>radius .5 pixels). I then created another new layer and with the girders still selected, I used a large, soft brush and black to add the shadows. By keeping the girders selected, I could use just the edge of a large brush and have it apply color to only within the selected area. I lowered the opacity of the 'shadow' layer. I also applied a curves adjustment to only the girder selections so I could adjust the tone down to better match the underside of the bridge.

For the concrete abutment, I did virtually the same as the girders with the exception of also applying some patches of darker color on a seperate layer in overlay blend mode just to add a little more randomness.

Here's a shot at 100% to show how it blends with the rest of the image a bit better. Before I started my edit, I had also applied CA removal in ACR (I'm set up so jpgs and tifs open in ACR by default) and reduced image noise using Neat Image.

Thanks, Doc. Again, nicely done. :cool:

Mark J.
Gear

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,845 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 17, 2013 10:37 |  #15

navydoc wrote in post #16377209 (external link)
I think you would be better off to 'repaint' the bridge. Here's an edit where I selected the girders, painted them blue, applied some shading, noise and a bit of blur. I also did the same for the concrete abutment. The graffiti on the rail I just cloned out.

Very nice job on your edit.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

sponsored links

2,632 views & 0 likes for this thread
How should I get rid of this graffiti?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.