Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 17 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 12:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Executive Officer's Portrait

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 17, 2013 12:50 |  #1

So I was asked to take a command photo for one fo the executive officers here on our flight line. So I grabbed my gear and brought in to work. A quick 20 minutes to set up, take the shots, and break it down and I was done. Just thought I'd share it here to get opinions if you had any. I'm happy with the result and so was the command; win-win I guess.

IMAGE: http://www.arivasphotos.com/img/s9/v93/p543844620-4.jpg

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

sponsored links
HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 17, 2013 13:37 |  #2

The highlight on his forehead makes his head looks deformed. It looks like a one-light setup right of camera. I think your photo needs a reflector/fill light. His eye sockets are ally deep and are casting a shadow over his eyes. Either that or lower the key light.

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

reheat ­ module
382 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 17, 2013 13:40 as a reply to  @ HiepBuiPhotography's post |  #3

The symmetry in the image is nice.
I like the gap between the body and elbow which defines his build, whilst on the other side it suggests his 'wider' build.
The gold braid on the flag edges look like horns though...

Tons of enthusiasm, loads of kit, limited skill...

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,132 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 17, 2013 13:47 |  #4

I think you could have used a bit of fill on his eyes and under his chin, or brought the light down a bit. His uniform seems underexposed to the point of losing some details.

rivas8409
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 17, 2013 14:44 |  #5

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #16378396 (external link)
The highlight on his forehead makes his head looks deformed. It looks like a one-light setup right of camera. I think your photo needs a reflector/fill light. His eye sockets are ally deep and are casting a shadow over his eyes. Either that or lower the key light.

It was a quick 1-light setup not directly over the camera but just slightly (like 2 or 3 degrees) off camera right. Couldn't get it directly center beause the the light stand got in the frame. Situations like that make me want a boom setup. :-) I had a reflector but should have used the silver side instead of the white side. He has REALLY deep eyes. Thanks though!

reheat module wrote in post #16378410 (external link)
The symmetry in the image is nice.
I like the gap between the body and elbow which defines his build, whilst on the other side it suggests his 'wider' build.
The gold braid on the flag edges look like horns though...

Yeah, the gold braid was either going to be horns or wings. I set the flags up like that to hide the bottom half of the wall that is white striped wallpaper. Kind of nasty looking wallpaper to be honest. I would have preferred to have the flags just draped down along the side of the frame but since I shot this in our conference room I worked with what I had there. I could have brought in my backdrop setup but then the setup and tear down would have taken longer and there was a meeting about to start in there when I got done.

gonzogolf wrote in post #16378426 (external link)
I think you could have used a bit of fill on his eyes and under his chin, or brought the light down a bit. His uniform seems underexposed to the point of losing some details.

His uniform is black. There's not a whole lot of detail in dress blues. It's a black jacket with gold accents. I agree I could have used more light under his chin though. Again, wish I had used the silver side of the reflector instead. :confused: I could have used my 2nd speedlight for fill but again time was a factor.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,132 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 17, 2013 14:47 |  #6

rivas8409 wrote in post #16378520 (external link)
His uniform is black. There's not a whole lot of detail in dress blues. It's a black jacket with gold accents. I agree I could have used more light under his chin though. Again, wish I had used the silver side of the reflector instead. :confused: I could have used my 2nd speedlight for fill but again time was a factor.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

You can still make black look black without turning it into a monolith without too much detail.

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 17, 2013 15:52 |  #7

I think it looks good. I can see all the details in the coat - pocket, lapels, and can see the different texture of the tie. The black is just right imo. The underside of his chin is a non-issue for me. I like the definition of his chin and cheekbones as the shadow leads nicely into his white shirt.

Good shot. I think it represents his position well.

Matt
flickr (external link)

CarrolLP
83 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 17, 2013 16:05 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

It looks great and professional to me.

6D, 5D, 1DS III, 1DX, 70-200mm II, EF 85 II, 50mm & EF 135mm
Gallery (external link)

rivas8409
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 17, 2013 22:43 |  #9

THanks guys.

bob_r
Goldmember
2,434 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 18, 2013 12:40 |  #10

I like the shot, but think I'd lighten him up a bit and get rid of the hot spot on his forehead.
Here's what I came up with:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

sponsored links

1,658 views & 0 likes for this thread
Executive Officer's Portrait
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.