Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 17 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 15:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Evolution IX - Noob Photo

Siren
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 17, 2013 15:23 |  #1

Hi! Noob here. I really enjoyed this view from the moment I spotted the photo opportunity. I've been starting to experiement with RAW capturing/editing (using ACR).

Taken with my handheld T2i & 40mm Cannon pancake lens.

I struggled with editing it for quite a while, finally landed on desaturating the blue tones in ACR which finally took that blue glaze off of the car. The image is very 'warm', I intended it be that way.

Have I overdone it?

CON: I only got one RAW image and in order for it to be straight I had to compromise some area on the sides of the car (which I do wish were still there)... but it looks much better straightened, imo.

CON #2: The car did not come out as sharp as I would've liked. In retrospect, I wish I would have used a larger aperture. Sharpened in ACR as best I could.

Oh yeah, a picture would be great, huh?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

"2ND WIFE" (external link) by C.AMS (external link), on Flickr

Ariel :) | FLICKr (external link) - CC welcome!
Canon T2i + Canon 40mm f2.8/Canon 50mm f1.8

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,269 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 17, 2013 15:51 |  #2

Your blacks arent very deep, consider adding a bit more contrast to give it a bit of pop. You have so many reflections from the dappled light through the foliage that its its difficult to see the lines of the car for the various reflections.

Siren
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 17, 2013 16:12 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #3

I'm going to revisit that!

I have a circular polarizer ordered (that I've read will help reduce some reflections) since I take a lot of photos of cars. Is there another way to combat reflections when out and about that I might not know about?

Thanks for your time :)

Ariel :) | FLICKr (external link) - CC welcome!
Canon T2i + Canon 40mm f2.8/Canon 50mm f1.8

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,269 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 17, 2013 16:18 |  #4

Siren wrote in post #16378710 (external link)
I'm going to revisit that!

I have a circular polarizer ordered (that I've read will help reduce some reflections) since I take a lot of photos of cars. Is there another way to combat reflections when out and about that I might not know about?

Thanks for your time :)

The first step would be to get the vehicle in consistent even light, not dappled that way whatever reflections you get are based on the contours of the car rather than the fact there was a hole in the leaves making one bright spot here and there. The CPL will work on the reflections in the glass but likely wont solve the issues with the paint.

funnky
73 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 17, 2013 23:17 |  #5

different angle too would help alot. looks like you were just walking around and saw a sick evo and took sort of a snap shot. car stance i think is pretty important in automotive. well it is for mee

My Bag-Canon xti/40d- Lenses-50mm f1.8-55-250mm-18-55mm-tamron 28-75 2.8(saving up for better glass:p)
Flickr-http://www.flickr.com/​photos/100372271@N06/ (external link)

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,984 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 18, 2013 06:37 |  #6

Cropped A Bit Tight On The Sides But Still Nice Shot

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/100085318@N08/ (external link)

sponsored links

664 views & 0 likes for this thread
Evolution IX - Noob Photo
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.