Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Oct 2013 (Friday) 05:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Macro Lenses. The best for the money

shellystillphotography
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 18, 2013 05:59 |  #1

Hi

I have recently converted to Canon from a life long Pentax obsession. I used to have a K-5 and now have a 550D. The problem being I am primarily a macro photographer and I am seriously missing my SMC Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited lens.

I almost purchased a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM but got messed around by the company I bought it from (Simply Electronics, after a month of not sending will now not give me a refund, beware!) and it started putting doubts in my head. I don't have many camera shops in the area to go and look at first hand so I was hoping some kind people here could give me some tips. Maybe help me find a macro that could compare or beat the Pentax lens?

Thanks

sponsored links
shellystillphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 18, 2013 05:59 |  #2

Just to say money is no object when it comes to the lens, but obviously I do not want to spend out if I really don't have to!

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,374 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 18, 2013 06:13 |  #3

Is it the 1:1 macro capability you miss or the 35mm capability? 35mm 1:1 macro seems a bit odd as the minimum working distance must have been almost nothing.

Anyway, the 60mm macro (also capable of 1:1) is a really nice lens and reasonable priced. Very sharp in the center. The 100mm macro you were looking at was probably the gold standard for Canon macros until the 100mmL macro came out. It is very sharp, offers very comfortable working distance and really good in the corners. It's ashamed you bought it at a scam site like Simply Electronics. From there comes the 100L and the 180L. Both top notch lenses but both rather expensive.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

shellystillphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 18, 2013 06:44 |  #4

Thanks JJ, I have been eyeing up that 60mm today. I do miss the 1:1 macro much more then the 35mm part of the lens (there were times taking liquid shots when I was glad the lens was waterproof!) but I found the 100mm lens a bit too far when I borrowed one for the Pentax a while back. I had to stand too far away really. Hopefully I can find somewhere to hire the 60mm while I wait for my refund!

shellystillphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 18, 2013 07:06 |  #5

Actually I have been looking at the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro too. Does anyone have a first hand experience with either?

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,374 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 18, 2013 07:16 |  #6

shellystillphotography wrote in post #16380058 (external link)
Actually I have been looking at the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro too. Does anyone have a first hand experience with either?

The MPE-65 is an outstanding macro. In a totally different league. It is a very specialized lens capable of macro only. The farthers you can get is 1:1 and it goes closer from there. If your into macro, this is the lens to get.

Some samples.

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2424/3832822214_6fe276557e_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3361/4618149511_68b197e917_b.jpg

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

The ­ Freeman
196 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 18, 2013 07:26 |  #7

I have the T2i as well. I have the 50mm reversed mounted onto 100mm macro and here is the outcome.

Not too bad

10 dollar bill

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8524/8515118592_62c7b34045_h.jpg

pixeljunkieeffigy (external link)

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 18, 2013 07:47 |  #8

That one is supposedly (I've never used it) extremely hard to use. Prepare to invest in specialized macro tripods and lighting and focus stacking software if you want to use it. Also, its minimum magnification is 1:1 which, on a crop body will make it impossible to photograph subjects larger than a fingernail.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 18, 2013 08:18 |  #9

shellystillphotography wrote in post #16380027 (external link)
Thanks JJ, I have been eyeing up that 60mm today. I do miss the 1:1 macro much more then the 35mm part of the lens (there were times taking liquid shots when I was glad the lens was waterproof!) but I found the 100mm lens a bit too far when I borrowed one for the Pentax a while back. I had to stand too far away really. Hopefully I can find somewhere to hire the 60mm while I wait for my refund!

Since I'm not primarily a macro shooter, I've never even researched the MPE, but I have both the 60mm macro and the 100 L IS Macro, and both are outstanding lenses. Despite what some say, the IS is somewhat useful for macro on static subjects, and it's very useful for longer range shots. You don't have to get as close to your subject as with the 60mm, but the 60 is smaller and lighter while still giving excellent results. The 60mm also makes a very nice portrait lens with it's 96mm full frame equivalence.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

artyH
Goldmember
2,108 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 18, 2013 08:37 |  #10

I have 3 macro lenses, including the Tokina 35 F2.8 (the same optically as the Pentax), the Sigma 50 F2.8, and the Canon 100 non-L. All are sharp, but I really like the Tokina. It can be used as a normal lens on a crop camera, gives you very good color, and good macro performance on flowers and some bugs. It is discontinued, but you might be able to find one used. I paid $300 for it new, and vendors overseas are charging crazy prices for it on Amazon.
If I were more into macro, I might use the 100 mm lens more. It handles well and the optics are great. If starting out right now, I would take a hard look at the 60 mm Canon, the 70 mm Sigma, and the longer Canon. My anticipated subjects would dictate my choice.

shellystillphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 18, 2013 09:32 |  #11

Thanks everyone for your response, finding the MPE-65 superb from the photos above, but could be a bit too restrictive for my sort of work. Also the warning with crop camera and this lens was something I didn't know about. Looks like it really is a toss up between 60mm macro and the 100 L IS Macro. Really appreciate all the info!

Larry ­ Weinman
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 18, 2013 09:57 |  #12

I have the MP E 65 and while there is a steep learning curve there are many users that get excellent results. What you have to be aware of before you buy this lens is that you cannot photograph anything larger then one to one. Your focusing is manual, you do it by rocking the camera back and forth. Your focusing range is four inches at one to one down to one inch at 5X. A strobe setup of some sort is a necessity with this lens. The viewfinder of your camera gets progressivly darker as you approach 5 X and is very dark at 5X magnification. Depth of field is almost non existent at high magnification. Keep in mind that you won't be able to shoot anything above a one to one ratio therefore for that reason and the reasons stated above I do not recommend this as your only macro lens. Generally speaking a 100mm macro lens is a good lens to work with. It doesn't have the darkening problem and is allot easier to keep steady. There are no bad macro lenses, and brand will give you good results. I would like to add that the crop camera warning regarding the MP E65 is ridiculous, I use mine on a 7D quite often and can definitely shoot images bigger then a fingernail

7D Mark II 6D 100mm f 2.8 macro 180mm f 3.5 macro, MP-E-65 300mm f 2.8 500mm f4 Tokina 10-17mm fisheye 10-22mm 17-55mm 24-105mm 70-300mm 70-200 f 2.8 Mk II 100-400mm Mk II 1.4 TCIII 2X TCIII 580EX II 430 EX II MT 24 EX Sigma 150-600

ceegee
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 18, 2013 10:20 |  #13

Hard to go wrong with the 60 macro. It's tailor-made for crop cameras and gives outstanding results.

Gear: Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-300L, Canon 60 macro f/2.8, Speedlite 580 EXII, 2x AB800

Website (external link)

shellystillphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 18, 2013 10:45 as a reply to  @ ceegee's post |  #14

Some serious thinking over the weekend for me then! Thank you for the info

protege
135 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 18, 2013 10:47 |  #15

shellystillphotography wrote in post #16380414 (external link)
Thanks everyone for your response, finding the MPE-65 superb from the photos above, but could be a bit too restrictive for my sort of work. Also the warning with crop camera and this lens was something I didn't know about. Looks like it really is a toss up between 60mm macro and the 100 L IS Macro. Really appreciate all the info!

There is also the Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro. Really sharp. Only downside is the AF is pretty slow, but I don't think it matters for macro work. I definitely recommend the 100mm IS L. It's very versatile. I use it for portraits more often than the 135mm. The IS is great if you don't want to lug around a tripod all day. I can consistently get 1/15th no problem. 1/10th about half of the time. 1/6th if I focus on my breathing and hold technique. The 180mm f3.5 in my opinion is not worth it. I found it too unwieldy. Definitely require a tripod for it to be effective. At that point, I'd rather have the 65MPE.

sponsored links

1,872 views & 0 likes for this thread
Macro Lenses. The best for the money
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.