Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 01:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Not shooting so much bad thoughts creeping in...

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 17, 2013 14:39 |  #16

It sounds like you should take a look at the new A7 or A7R from Sony. The world's smallest, lightest full frame camera, with high resolution and a hefty amount of dynamic range. It can also take EF-lenses through an adapter.

Read up on it. It's the camera many of us Canonites have been waiting for.

I've preordered mine.
I still have my big ass 5D3, but will probably sell it later on.

sponsored links
dino8031
845 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 17, 2013 15:54 as a reply to  @ Osiriz's post |  #17

My interest comes and goes as well, so I understand how you feel.

I've bought and sold gear over and over, tried different cameras and lens combinations, all sorts of things.

Sometimes I think it's more fun to switch up gear then to actually take photos.

I'm currently in a m4/3 phase and I'm liking it. I just got tired of lugging heavy gear around.

Sell your gear and try something new. With the way bodies depreciate it's hard to go wrong if you decide to go back.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Oct 17, 2013 15:57 |  #18

milleniumking wrote in post #16377264 (external link)
Hi guys/gals. Lately I have not been shooting much, mostly because of work and other things. I am also finding that I am not using my 5d mark iii to its full potential. I have even thought about selling it and buying a 6d. I am not a pro by any means, just an "advanced hobbyist" to say the best. I have also downgraded a lot of my gear to its minimums (Down to 2 lenses and flash) mostly to save on weight when travelling and biking.

Does anyone else feel this way about their gear?

One of my friends has put it very accurately.

Using a ff DSLR for casual shooting is like driving a dump truck to pick up a bag of chips at the mall.

If you're only using two lenses, go mirrorless.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

UKmitch86
318 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 18, 2013 10:28 |  #19

milleniumking wrote in post #16377264 (external link)
Hi guys/gals. Lately I have not been shooting much, mostly because of work and other things. I am also finding that I am not using my 5d mark iii to its full potential. I have even thought about selling it and buying a 6d. I am not a pro by any means, just an "advanced hobbyist" to say the best. I have also downgraded a lot of my gear to its minimums (Down to 2 lenses and flash) mostly to save on weight when travelling and biking.

Does anyone else feel this way about their gear?

OP, there are numerous things you can do to build up interest in the hobby again - personally I find the 'challenge' method quite useful - try these approaches;

1) take out a single prime - ignore the location and focal length and don't take any other lenses to avoid temptation
2) shoot nothing but portrait for the day
3) shoot wide open for the day
4) produce nothing but shots for stitched panoramas
5) shoot into the sun
6) shoot a theme i.e. transport, graffiti, weather, modern history
7) shoot a concept, i.e. societal problems, opportunities, emotion

Personally I don't like the whole '365' thing - if I miss a day, I'll just feel disappointed.

I used to go out with a zoom and just take pictures of my surroundings, but after taking the mindset above, not only am I more involved with the photographic process, the shots are better and more interesting.

HTH

Canon 1Ds3 | 16-35/4 | 50/1.8 | 135/2
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/ukmitch86/ (external link)

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 18, 2013 10:46 |  #20

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16378676 (external link)

Using a ff DSLR for casual shooting is like driving a dump truck to pick up a bag of chips at the mall.

If you're only using two lenses, go mirrorless.

To each his own. Using a ff DSLR for casual shooting is like carefully selecting a specific brand, flavor, and bag size for chips at the store -- not even touching any adjacent bags, vs. just "getting chips."

I only use two lenses, and I have two DSLR bodies, and get use out of both of them.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

WT21
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 18, 2013 13:34 |  #21

If you do sell, you could sell the body and keep the lenses. But if you think you might want to shoot again within a year, don't sell anything. It'll cost you more in paypal fees and shipping than the 5Diii is likely to depreciate.

Sometimes when I've gotten bored, I've rented equipment. Lensrentals.com is a great place. I've rented Fuji X cameras, big gray Canon lenses. Even a Nikon camera. I've found it has often refreshed my appreciation of what I do own, yet gives me a mental break to try something new.

6D: 50, 85, 28-75, 70-210USM, 430EXii.
EOS-M: 22, 18-55

VicSkimmr
551 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 18, 2013 13:39 |  #22

I don't really understand the issue. Who cares if you aren't using the camera to its full potential? You already own it, why would you sell it just to buy an inferior camera if money isn't a concern?

-Jason
[URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/jasonwith​ers/"]flickr (external link)

Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 18, 2013 14:35 |  #23

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16378676 (external link)

How is that in any way an accurate statement?

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

brit84
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 18, 2013 15:18 |  #24

I was feeling the same way, then I bought an 85L II and have the bug again to get out on my own time

5DIII/grip |5DII/grip | 40D/grip | 17-40L| 24-70L 2.8 II|70-200L IS f2.8 II | 580EXII x2 | Lensbaby composer | Benro 358 w/ Q3 | 2 Einsteins/Vagabond mini.
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

parfilator
109 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 18, 2013 15:38 |  #25

UKmitch86 wrote in post #16380564 (external link)
OP, there are numerous things you can do to build up interest in the hobby again - personally I find the 'challenge' method quite useful - try these approaches;

1) take out a single prime - ignore the location and focal length and don't take any other lenses to avoid temptation
2) shoot nothing but portrait for the day
3) shoot wide open for the day
4) produce nothing but shots for stitched panoramas
5) shoot into the sun
6) shoot a theme i.e. transport, graffiti, weather, modern history
7) shoot a concept, i.e. societal problems, opportunities, emotion

Personally I don't like the whole '365' thing - if I miss a day, I'll just feel disappointed.

I used to go out with a zoom and just take pictures of my surroundings, but after taking the mindset above, not only am I more involved with the photographic process, the shots are better and more interesting.

HTH

^^^^^^This.

Have a purpose when you shoot. When I go to some place new I challenge myself to document the essence of the place so that your photos capture what it's about. It's difficult but also makes it fun. Just my 2 cents.

Canon 5D II|EOS M w/22mm f2.0| 50mm f1.4 |17-40mm f4 L| 70-200 mm f4 L| 100 mm f2.8L Macro | 24-70 mm f2.8LII |Yongnuo YN568EX|YN622c|Flickr (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Oct 18, 2013 18:11 |  #26

waterrockets wrote in post #16380612 (external link)
To each his own. Using a ff DSLR for casual shooting is like carefully selecting a specific brand, flavor, and bag size for chips at the store -- not even touching any adjacent bags, vs. just "getting chips."

I only use two lenses, and I have two DSLR bodies, and get use out of both of them.

Of course. I'm just agreeing with OP's sentiment, not saying that everybody with two lenses and a DSLR is "wrong".

Which lenses are you using?
Do you think you'd take them with you more often if you had a smaller camera that did the same thing?

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 18, 2013 21:07 |  #27

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16381623 (external link)
Which lenses are you using?
Do you think you'd take them with you more often if you had a smaller camera that did the same thing?

24-105 and 70-200 f/2.8L non-IS. Absolutely would use them more often with a smaller camera that did the same thing. Not possible with current technology though, 10fps on a system that can track a fast butterfly swimmer's goggles between the underwater portions with a 3000 shot battery. :)

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

John37
609 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 19, 2013 00:18 |  #28

I've felt uninspired at times. But my interest in photography seems to increase each time I shoot.

"The most endangered species? The honest man!' ~ Neil Peart
5Dii, 5Dc, 135L, 70-200 f2.8, 24-105L, 17-40L, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 430exll, Yongnuo 560ll x 2, wife, 2 kids :cool:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dajaphotographs​/ (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,116 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 19, 2013 07:55 |  #29

I have a partner in photography, and it's a blast. I've had episodes in the past with no activity for a month or two. I just kept my camera in storage. For me, it did not make economic sense to sell and buy. You need to be out of the game for a while for that to make sense.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Dave ­ Jenkins
606 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 19, 2013 11:58 |  #30

Except perhaps for fast-moving action, there's hardly anything the 5DIII will do that the 6D can't do just as well. And it's smaller, lighter, and cheaper. As for the action stuff, back in the day we thought five frames per second was just great.

With the current rebates, you can get the 6D for $1599. For me, that's a no-brainer and I would buy one right now if I didn't already have one. The 6D is the quiet little camera that does just about everything very well without a lot of fuss, muss, and fanfare.

Dave Jenkins
<'}}}}><
My newest book: Backroads and Byways of Georgia. See it at amazon.com.
Travel and People: www.davidbjenkins.com
My award winning book: Rock City Barns: A Passing Era. 29,000 copies sold.

sponsored links

6,037 views & 0 likes for this thread
Not shooting so much bad thoughts creeping in...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.