Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 18 Oct 2013 (Friday) 18:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Having trouble resizing and uploading to MM, what am I doing wrong?

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 18, 2013 18:46 |  #1

I have previously resized images in photoshop and have had success with the quality and being able to upload them to FB and model mayhem.

Now, I resized these new photos the exact same way I always have, but the file is way too big to upload to model mayhem. I checked the specifics comparing this new resized photo and my old ones, and the file size is much larger, the pixels and proportions are exactly the same? I have not done anything differently, so I don't know how to fix this.

This is what I did to resize,
Image>Image Size
width: 640 pixels
height: 960 pixels
Resolution: 2048 pixels/inch

Then I "save as" and choose either quality number 7 (medium) or 8 (high). This has always worked, so I don't know why it does not now.

any advice on why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sponsored links
Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 18, 2013 18:50 |  #2

This is one of the older photos I have resized and have been able to upload to model mayhem

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3805/10353422933_d6b337a633_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …75523744@N02/10​353422933/  (external link)
IMG_6969-1aResized (external link) by Naraly05 (external link), on Flickr

Size: 479 KB
Dimensions: 640 x 960

This is the newest photo I have resized and can not upload to model mayhem

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5523/10353239495_a1d270b28f_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …75523744@N02/10​353239495/  (external link)
IMG_8185-1a-2Resized (external link) by Naraly05 (external link), on Flickr

Size: 2.2 MB
Dimensions: 640 x 960

Cheers,
Nora

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,475 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 18, 2013 20:15 |  #3

Jpg compression is variable. Depending on image content, the same number on the scale can produce different amounts of compression and therefore different file sizes. Photos with a lot of detail, like the trees in your second image, do not compress well. The same girl in front
of a clear blue sky would have made a much smaller file. Similarly, high noise shots will not compress as much, because the noise is considered to be detail. Lightroom has a feature with which you can choose the maximum file size and LR will choose the compression, but in PS all you can do is to try progressively smaller scale numbers until you get down to what is needed.

Elie / אלי

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 19, 2013 00:37 |  #4

You can do a "Save As" and set a maximum file size, and Photoshop will set the Quality accordingly...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 19, 2013 01:37 |  #5

Can someone kind of guide me on how to do that either with light room or photoshop? When I click "save as" the only option that appears is to choose the quality in numbers 1-9, but even when choosing the smallest quality number, the size is still too big.

Cheers,
Nora

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 19, 2013 02:23 |  #6

In Lightroom, in the Export dialog box, In the File Setting panel, you can select the "Limit File Size To:" option and specify a file size.

In Photoshop, when you do a "Save As", lower the Quality setting until the file size is what you want/need.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,864 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 19, 2013 09:35 |  #7

Jpg compression is variable. Depending on image content, the same number on the scale can produce different amounts of compression and therefore different file sizes.

There are several ways to sharpen, but generally, I only sharpen the part of the image that will benefit the most, & that also results in a smaller file size at the same Quality setting.
Selection for sharpening illustration.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 19, 2013 13:38 |  #8

I had a similar problem in that I could not get certain images to meet the POTN forum limit of 1024 long edge and 150Kb for direct upload to this site. This was even with the JPEG quality set to zero. The problem was traced down to the fact that I had sent some images to a lab using a colour profile specifically for that lab, and somehow that was then being used for other files too. The "normal" sRGB colour profile adds about 10KB of data to the JPEG file, and this is actually uncompressed data. The printer profile that was being appended to the file was making the file come out over 1 Mb! You can check the colour profile by looking at the file in Bridge.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,309 posts
Gallery: 202 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 19, 2013 14:19 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #9

There are two things to consider when you resize an image. The image dimensions and the image file size. When I want to resize to a specific dimension at a specific file size, I do it this way in Photoshop.

First I resize the image. Let's say to 1024 on the long side. Next I want to go to "File>Save for web". That opens another window. Make sure I'm saving as a jpg then click on #1 below so I can optimize the file size. When that window opens, I type in the file size I want, let's say 150k which is the max here for an attachment. Then I click OK to close that window then "Save".

Just be sure you resize "Image>Image size" before you try to save for web.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,309 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 19, 2013 14:22 as a reply to  @ navydoc's post |  #10

Here's your image that was at 640 x 960 but at a file size of 2.10mb. Now it's 640 x 960 at 147kb using the method I described above.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,853 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 19, 2013 14:31 |  #11

tonylong wrote in post #16382300 (external link)
In Photoshop, when you do a "Save As", lower the Quality setting until the file size is what you want/need.

There's a much easier way in Photoshop to designate file size to whatever size you want. Use Save for Web and click on the little down arrow to the right of the Preset dropdown, choose Optimize to File Size, and enter the desired size. No guesswork that way.

*or do it like Gene shows in the above post. :)

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 19, 2013 14:33 |  #12

tonylong wrote in post #16382300 (external link)
In Lightroom, in the Export dialog box, In the File Setting panel, you can select the "Limit File Size To:" option and specify a file size.

Thank you, I did that in Lightroom and it worked wonderfully! I had never even noticed that option at the bottom of the dialogue box.

Cheers,
Nora

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,309 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 19, 2013 14:33 |  #13

D Thompson wrote in post #16383257 (external link)
There's a much easier way in Photoshop to designate file size to whatever size you want. Use Save for Web and click on the little down arrow to the right of the Preset dropdown, choose Optimize to File Size, and enter the desired size. No guesswork that way.

:D :D

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 19, 2013 14:45 |  #14

D Thompson wrote in post #16383257 (external link)

Yeah, I forgot about the Save for Web function, I just haven't used Photoshop much in recent years and never got used to using that function!

As for the Save As dialog it's pretty quick, as you change the Quality setting the little file size readout changes or you can move the file size slider.

Tony

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,309 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 19, 2013 15:00 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #15

The big advantage for me in saving as D Thompson and I described Tony is that the file size can be much closer to the required size if there is a max file size requirment. By saving for web, the metadata can also be minimized or removed to gain additional file size when needed.

sponsored links

5,364 views & 0 likes for this thread
Having trouble resizing and uploading to MM, what am I doing wrong?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.