Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 16 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 01:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony's full-frame Alpha 7 and 7R

Mark0159
THREAD ­ STARTER
I say stupid things all the time
12,872 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Oct 17, 2013 14:42 |  #46

benji25 wrote in post #16378411 (external link)
The only time I have shot one was in a best buy with a Nikon on. I don't remember it making a sound or anything. I could be wrong though. I think the mirror flipping is what makes the DSLR one so much louder.

from my understanding any mirrorless system still has a shutter within the camera. point in shoots generally don't. They are the ones with the option of changing the shutter sound.

With these cameras tho if you watch that video posted above one thing they comment on is how loud the shutter sound is and the fact that there is no quiet mode.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

sponsored links
Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 18, 2013 10:04 |  #47

I was trying to find some info on the hot shoe. Apparently on the A7 and A7R its called "Multi-Interface Shoe".

Is it compatible with "normal" industry-wide hot-shoe devices - manual flashes, triggers etc?

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 18, 2013 11:37 |  #48

benji25 wrote in post #16378342 (external link)
I think my heart will always lie with the DSLR. I am a bigger person so I like the form factor. Plus, I like the "click" you feel when shooting - I know a picture was taken. Compare that to the iPhone/any point and shoot and there is no physical feed back that lets know know the shutter went.

I am not saying I won't buy one of these or that a DSLR is better - just that there are a few key things that I like about DSLR's that are irreplaceable with the road the market is on now.

I don't care about the 'click' - but I do care that I've not yet seen an EVF that can compare to an OVF - and if you are ever shooting a moving subject the OVF is irreplaceable. And some of you want an A7 without a viewfinder at all? Ack!

In addition, I don't get the interest in hooking up a 70-200 2.8 to the A7 - once I've committed to using an 8 inch long, 3.5 pound lens, the size savings of an A7 vs. the 6D or 70D is pretty much irrelevant. Same thing with adding a grip - seems to defeat the stated purpose of the camera (keep it small and light).

Now as for the sensor - I'd be more than happy to have that. :)

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 18, 2013 11:41 as a reply to  @ jrbdmb's post |  #49

First RAW files available online.

http://www.sonyalpharu​mors.com …r-raw-files-for-download/ (external link)

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 18, 2013 12:05 |  #50

dscri001 wrote in post #16374749 (external link)
I think this camera would look tons better if they did away with the viewfinder though.

It's a camera, not a fashion accessory! :cool:

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

arj
26 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 18, 2013 14:32 |  #51

jrbdmb wrote in post #16380726 (external link)
I don't care about the 'click' - but I do care that I've not yet seen an EVF that can compare to an OVF - and if you are ever shooting a moving subject the OVF is irreplaceable. And some of you want an A7 without a viewfinder at all? Ack!

Have you tried one of the EVFs on Sony Alphas like tha A77 or A99? You would be surprised how you would love that after a month of using it. Honestly, I was really angry that Sony took off the OVF option from the A-mount and was very sceptical about it. I even was about to abandon A-mount due to that. But right now, I am just not able to go back to OVF anymore. When I try my A700 or A900, I am just no longer able to use it as I am lacking all the info from my EVF. I dont see how my changes in exposure will affect the final image. I dont see a histogram in the OVF either. No focus peaking.... I could continue for ages. The EVF in the A7 is supposed to be even better, so I would really not worry. The overall package you get is going to provide a great performance and at a ridiculous price. I am personally after the A7r and that baby will go with me anywhere I go

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 18, 2013 14:40 |  #52

Ginga wrote in post #16380508 (external link)
I was trying to find some info on the hot shoe. Apparently on the A7 and A7R its called "Multi-Interface Shoe".

Is it compatible with "normal" industry-wide hot-shoe devices - manual flashes, triggers etc?

Sony acquired Minolta's DSLR business in the mid 2000s. Minolta had developed their own non-standard hotshoe. Sony kept using for a few years, but recently switched back to the industry standard hotshoe. But, they remained compatibility with the Minolta specific flashes, too.

So basically "multi interface" means it has the regular hotshoe but can also use Sony/Minolta hotshoe (presumably with an adapter).

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 18, 2013 20:33 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #53

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

Patrick ­ n
63 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 20, 2013 11:53 |  #54

can you auto focus on Sony A7 with EF lenses using adaptor? If it can auto focus, I would like to get A7 for sure.

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 20, 2013 11:58 |  #55

^it can but don't expect DSLR like AF performance.

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 20, 2013 11:58 as a reply to  @ Patrick n's post |  #56

AF works with the metabones adapter.

taemo wrote in post #16385007 (external link)
^it can but don't expect DSLR like AF performance.

Well it won't have the same speed, but accuracy will be the same. So the important part is covered. :)

Luckypenguin
612 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 21, 2013 00:07 |  #57

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16377418 (external link)
Well, we are looking at a 1st generation FF interchangeable lens compact from Sony versus a 5th? generation camera system that been out for years and is quite mature. I think people don't need to look very hard to see that, and know what they're getting into.

The A7 and A7R aren't first generation products. They are NEXes by another name, just with a larger sensor.

Nic - flickr photostream (external link)
G1X (last Canon standing)

Mark0159
THREAD ­ STARTER
I say stupid things all the time
12,872 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Oct 21, 2013 00:52 |  #58

Luckypenguin wrote in post #16386467 (external link)
The A7 and A7R aren't first generation products. They are NEXes by another name, just with a larger sensor.

yes but the lenses that have come out for the other NX cameras aren't designed for for the A7 or A7R. So that means Sony has to come out with a new set of lenses.

To me this is fine. Canon came out with the EOS format in the 80's and now when the market moved to digital cameras no new format was needed. In fact the first digital camera that I had (10D) I used a film designed lens.

It's going to take time for the lenses for all lenses that people want to be available. just look at Fuji. There is a now a good set of lenses available for the x-series camera. Shame they not FF but still it's help Fuji.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Oct 21, 2013 01:08 |  #59

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16376173 (external link)
The FE mount 70-200 f/4 is going to be around $1,400, which isn't far off from what Canon charges for theirs. Can't wait to see samples/tests, although I'm likely going to jump anyway.

Canon f/4 is not resolving latest full frame digital. If sony is building it to outrsesolve, it will have to be pricier.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 21, 2013 11:14 |  #60

Osiriz wrote in post #16385009 (external link)
Well it won't have the same speed, but accuracy will be the same. So the important part is covered. :)

Better accuracy actually, since the AF is directly on the imaging surface and you remove a couple of potential failure points from the light path that exist in SLRs. This is one of the best things about mirrorless cameras--no more AF microadjustments necessary.

sponsored links

126,037 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony's full-frame Alpha 7 and 7R
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.