Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Oct 2013 (Monday) 16:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting in the rain?

shortsleeves
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 18, 2013 15:27 as a reply to  @ post 16362594 |  #16

Thank you all!

I have been here for a while now, i don't lurk i just don't post alot. I have 2eyes 2ears and 1 mouth. My eyes and ears outweigh my mouth in life. Its just me... **C&C is ALWAYS welcome. I come here to lurk to learn. I appreciate it**

sponsored links
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 18, 2013 16:50 |  #17

From a post in 2007. Actually, Op/Tech's rain covers made of thin plastic like a baggie are fantastic for quick jobs. With a tripod or for a lot of work, look below:

I tried a bunch of the covers, and here's a mini-review.

Canon ERC-E4S This was my favorite. It's made of light waterproof nylon, the lens tube closes with Velcro on an elastic strip. Very snug. There is a clear window in the back, and a fixed sealed eyepiece which fits the 7D and Mark III, and an adapter for other bodies. No possibility of a leak. It's very cool to have something that's made for Canons only. There is a clear window which you can coat with a plastic cleaner or spit or toothpaste or Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to prevent fogging. The best thing is that the material is meant to drape over the camera and head, and extends 6"-12" over the legs. It means you can get both hands under to manipulate the body. That was my biggest complaint with the others, only right-sided dry control. The Canon material is thin enough that you can use this on a 24-105, and a 100-400L, @400mm with no problems at all. It folds to an 8.5 x 3" roll, and comes with a pouch for travel. It's very light, just a few ounces. This one may tear the easiest (hey, that's why God invented Gaffer's tape), but it's the easiest to work under, configure and pack. And it's the color of a white lens. $89.95

Aquatech Sport Shield F/200 This was my next favorite. Made of slightly thicker nylon than the Canon, it fits tightly around the camera and lens via zippers and an elastic sewn into the fabric near the bayonet mount. It has a clear window in the back, and the a neoprene hole to stretch around the eyepiece. A Thinktank eyepiece will work just as well as the Aquatech. The problem is that it has only a rightsided arm sleeve. If you want to preview an image, you have to press the button through the plastic screen. Very well made, but I didn't like that single arm hole and the inability to control the left side of the body. $149.95

ThinkTank Hydrophobia 70-200 This was the most complicated piece of business of the whole bunch. It has a zipper; multiple Velcro tabs; a strap to hold it to the lens from the inside; a strap to hold your camera strap on the inside!!!; a Velcro/Neoprene band around the lens near the hood; very heavy material, the best of the bunch. But though it was fine with the 100-400 (or a 70-200), scrunching up and pushing back the fabric made it really hard to use with a 24-105. The heavy fabric makes it bulky and it takes up twice the room in your suitcase as the Aquatech. It has a Neoprene hole for the eyepiece that you stretch around the eyepiece as with the Aquatech, but it has a plastic flap above the eyepiece to keep it dry when not in use. However, because of the placement of the Neoprene hole and the flap, the plastic window is obscured and I really couldn't make out the details of the back of the camera! It too has only a right arm hole. Plenty of buttons and straps, but what a pain in the a$$ to get on the camera...and then you can't see the back. $139.75

LensCoat Rain Coat Pro I'm pretty handy, and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to get this one on the camera! Really, and I tried. No instructions, unlike all the others, and, to say the least, it is not intuitive. It has a good securing band at the front of the lens, but has no plastic cover for the back of the camera. If you can get it on, I think the cover comes to the back edge of the body, but leaves it uncovered. I can't really rate this one, as I couldn't figure out how to configure it, let alone if it keeps out rain. Also, the material has the waterproof nylon on the inside, and some kind of Neoprene flocking on the outside. I don't get that. $79.99

For me, the Canon is the keeper, I don't know how well it will hold up with time, as it's the thinnest. And I always carry Gaffer's tape.
Portfolio 5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L| 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/ Markins Q3t II/ Markins lever QR/ RRSL bracket | Gitzo 3542L, Markins Q20, RRS lever QR | Gitzo 5561T monopod, RRS MH-02 LR | Lowepro Deluxe Harness, Util belt.
Jay Ben Images 5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L| 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/ Markins Q3t II/ Markins lever QR/ RRSL bracket | Gitzo 3542L, Markins Q20, RRS lever QR | Gitzo 5561T monopod, RRS MH-02 LR.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 19, 2013 09:36 |  #18

Good to know options above^^^.

I've used the OP/tech. However the string closure was not effective and the odd shape unnecessary. You'll need to use tape or rubber band around the lens anyway to truly protect your expensive glass from dust or rain. For that reason, I learned a plastic bag is just as effective. Nearly every hotel has the right size clear bags in the ice bucket or waste basket -- just ask housekeeping for an extra. Carry a strip of gaff tape around a pen, tripod or lens so it's always handy. Make a hole at the bottom of the bag and slip over your camera. Secure around lens with tape or rubber band. Make a nickel-size hole near the eyepiece and slip the rubber eyecup over it to secure in place.

Tc202
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 19, 2013 10:18 as a reply to  @ CAPhotog's post |  #19

The think tank rain cover is great for longer lenses (500mm f4). I use the canon rain cover for shorter lenses (200mm f2).

Alotech Camera Bags (external link)

1CanonDSLR
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 26, 2013 05:58 as a reply to  @ post 16362594 |  #20

When using a tripod use a golf umbrella the clamp on type $6 at the sports authority. I use blue umbrellas 5500K. Keeps me dry or in the shade, and will accommodate long lenses.

Tc202
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 26, 2013 12:55 |  #21

1CanonDSLR wrote in post #16400221 (external link)
When using a tripod use a golf umbrella the clamp on type $6 at the sports authority. I use blue umbrellas 5500K. Keeps me dry or in the shade, and will accommodate long lenses.

I would still use a rain cover because the wind will blow rain onto the lens/ camera.

Alotech Camera Bags (external link)

ArisPhoto
63 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 26, 2013 13:40 |  #22

The Think Tank Hydrophobia is the best especially for the white lenses. I feel they are easy to use, after you get a hang of it. I had some Kata covers, but after 2 years of use you can´t see thorough the plastic and the viewfinder. Plastic bacame greyish.

I use hydrophobia mainly in heavy rain and some prewinter sleet weathers. In the winter when its -10 to -20 C and more, you don´t need them anymore. Just brush the snow off.

On the other hand I have no ideas what kind of raincover to buy to use with a short lens, like the 35L. I tried a few and didn´t like them. Hotels have disposable "shower caps". I have them with me just in case for the short lenses.

Ari (external link)
Website (external link) |Facebook (external link)

Miki ­ G
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 28, 2013 03:44 |  #23

I use the Aquatech rain covers. They are well made, if a little expensive, but will offer great protection from heavy rain, snow, sand etc.

sponsored links

3,640 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting in the rain?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.