Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 21 Oct 2013 (Monday) 00:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Breaking News: Nikon goes full frame mirrorless?

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 21, 2013 00:49 |  #1

First Sony announces their A7 and A7R, and now Nikon comes with a full frame retro style mirrorless!?
This development is more exciting than christmas eve and a birthday party combined! :D

It looks like Nikon's first model will be rather low on resolution, but at least the camera is a step in the right direction. It seems that Canon will soon be all alone with an "half assed" mirrorless product (the EOS M).

Quote from Nikonrumors:
"Sony sure shook the market with their A7/A7R full frame mirrorless cameras. Many readers have asked me if Nikon will be coming with something similar. I have mentioned in the past that I expect a third mystery camera this year that will have a retro design (something like the Olympus OMD). The new full frame camera will most likely be mirrorless, but it will have some kind of a special (hybrid?) viewfinder. I am also not yet sure if it will have a regular F-mount or a newly designed mount.

The announcement will be in the next 2-3 months, but it could happen as soon as next week during the PDN PhotoPlus show in New York. Stay tuned for more details."

Rumored specifications:
* Nikon FM2 like design
* 16.2MP 36x23,9 full frame sensor (same as in the D4?)
* SD memory card
* 2016-pixel RGB image sensor
* 9-cell framing grid display
* 3D color matrix metering II
* Native ISO range: 100-12,800 (incl. ISO 50 and ISO 108,200)
* 5.5 fps for up to 100 shots
* 3.2" LCD screen
* Battery:EN-EL14
* Dimensions: 143.5 x 110 x 66.5mm
* Weight: 765g
* It will come with a new AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens (again, not clear what mount the new lens will have)

Pic of the old FM2 from 1982.

IMAGE: http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Nikon-FM2-like-digital-full-frame-camera-rumors.jpg
IMAGE: http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Nikon-classical-F-cameras.jpg

Source: Nikonrumors.com

sponsored links
Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 21, 2013 01:06 |  #2

An updated rumor suggests that the camera isn't mirrorless, and 765g is way too heavy i.m.o. Might as well be a traditional DSLR then.

Oh well, at least SoNikon is doing something new, and I really don't expect Canon to answer their latest innovations. Canon thinks their company exists in isolation.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

Osiriz
THREAD ­ STARTER
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 21, 2013 01:21 as a reply to  @ Ginga's post |  #3

I jumped the gun. Looks like Nikon still not brave enough to lose the mirror.

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 21, 2013 02:08 |  #4

Breaking Rumors?
Fake News?

Looks like the definition of "news" has been distorted in the decade of the Twitter...

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 21, 2013 02:27 |  #5

I like the design though.

If it only had been smaller, lighter, higher res, and mirrorless.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 21, 2013 02:48 |  #6

I did find the M to be half assed by Canon but I love mine now after ML.

Where else can you get a APS C body with a sharp prime lens and the ability to take raw video for $300?

Thanks to magic lantern of course, no help from Canon there. Also with dual ISO it now matches Nikon/Sony's dynamic range.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 21, 2013 03:02 as a reply to  @ maverick75's post |  #7

The half assed EOS-M is my favorite camera... Good on Nikon for their new release. FF will be great but will increase the camera size a bit. That somewhat negates a main mirrorless advantage.

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 21, 2013 03:35 |  #8

District_History_Fan wrote in post #16386660 (external link)
The half assed EOS-M is my favorite camera... Good on Nikon for their new release. FF will be great but will increase the camera size a bit. That somewhat negates a main mirrorless advantage.

I'm not gonna get into a debate about the EOS M, but regarding your statement marked in bold..

Tell that to the A7R which is smaller, thinner and lighter than the Olympus E-M1 and a few other mirrorless cameras out there. http://snapsort.com …pus-OM-D-E-M1-vs-Sony-A7R (external link)

reprazent
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 21, 2013 04:38 |  #9

At the same time, that small(ish) camera body quickly loses it advantage as soon as you mount a bigass DSLR or whatever exotic MF lens on it.As seen here

gearlist | flickr (external link)

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 21, 2013 04:43 |  #10

Why is mirrorless better than mirrored?

Also, that retro design is lovely. Wish canon would do something like that!

Osiriz
THREAD ­ STARTER
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 21, 2013 04:48 |  #11

reprazent wrote in post #16386743 (external link)
At the same time, that small(ish) camera body quickly loses it advantage as soon as you mount a bigass DSLR or whatever exotic MF lens on it.As seen here

A valid argument, but more so if you are a Nikon-shooter and have access to the D800.

The main excitement for us Canonites is the fabulous sensor. We are finally able to use our EF-glass on a high resolution / high DR sensor. I think that is what most people are excited about. The smaller size and weight is truly just a bonus.

And yes, it is smaller and lighter. Canon's 5D3 (950g) and 6D (770g) are substantially bigger and heavier than the Sony A7R (475g).. The 5D3 is 100% heavier than the Sony A7R.

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 21, 2013 09:27 |  #12

Osiriz wrote in post #16386510 (external link)
Rumored specifications:
* Dimensions: 143.5 x 110 x 66.5mm
* Weight: 765g

Canon 70D
specifications:
* Dimensions: 139.0 x 104.3 x 78.5 mm
* Weight: 755g with battery and memory card

I get that some people like the Nikon/Sony sensors, but why all the hoopla over a mirrorless camera that has none of the advantages that its fans claim for mirrorless?

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 21, 2013 09:40 |  #13

They're rumors, I'm doubting that this camera is even mirrorless.

sponsored links

3,966 views & 0 likes for this thread
Breaking News: Nikon goes full frame mirrorless?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.