Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 22 Oct 2013 (Tuesday) 01:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Underexposed?

oahumike
479 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 22, 2013 01:26 |  #1

I tried printing a bunch of 4x6's at costco the past couple days to see what a larger print may turn out to be. I didn't use the printer profile as I'm not quite that savvy yet. Can you (with the calibrated monitors) look at my pictures and see if they are mostly underexposed and also if the color "pops" at all? I use a laptop so it looks good on here but I need to know how to print them so they look how I see them!

We can use this one as a starter. But if you could look through my flickr account quick that would be great. I just want to improve!

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2844/10221908303_aa0a3ac542_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …97364536@N02/10​221908303/  (external link)

Had a 6D....
Then had a daughter....
Now have an SL2 and Mavic Pro.... Man life changes.
I would encourage you... To just go for it.

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 22, 2013 01:42 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Pic looks fine on my calibrated display.

Your photos do lean towards the underexposure end of the spectrum; I don't mean that as critique, though: I also prefer some of my pictures to be rather dark. Just make sure that the darkness is intent and not a post-processing issue. For printing your images, you might want to apply a Curves layer set to Screen blending mode and ~30% opacity; see if that makes them come out better from the printer.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 22, 2013 01:55 |  #3

looks ok to me. with digital you have the advantage of exposer bracketing the
shot and then digitally blending the pictures in photoshop to capture the wider
dynamic range. This i guess you know already. but there is no harm not to do
it as it will give you more flexibility when post processing.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,579 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 22, 2013 02:01 |  #4

Exposure's pretty close, but the colors are dull, detail is fuzzy and there is some nasty CA going on in the trees.

Since you have image editing on, here's a quick, low res pass that I did on the image in LR5 for comparison:

Before:

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60553404/Photos/samples/10221908303_aa0a3ac542_b.jpg

After:
IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60553404/Photos/samples/temple%20edit-.jpg

- Reduced Chromatic Aberration
- Increased base constrast via Tone Curve tool
- Pushed Shadows up a tad
- Dropped Black point a bit
- Pushed up White point a bit
- Sharpening applied

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 22, 2013 07:28 |  #5

Sorry, but I much prefer the unaltered shot.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 22, 2013 08:21 |  #6

I also prefer the original - the edit is over sharpened....but the orig does need a sharpening.
Your prints will be darker than the digital version on screen (monitor). You really should try to edit with your stores profile or when ordering try the 2 options....no adjustment at the store and WITH their adjustment...I found it is trial and error but you definitely will have to compensate.

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 22, 2013 09:02 as a reply to  @ Spike44's post |  #7

I would have underexposed this scene as well, probably one stop. This would prevent the sky from blowing out, doing so with the intention of working the shadows in post processing. I adjusted the shadows carefully in PS(shadows and highlights) and sharpened just a touch.

Before

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i3.photobucket.​com …0a3ac542_bef.jp​g~original (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

After
PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i3.photobucket.​com …a3ac542_aft2.jp​g~original (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,579 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 22, 2013 09:26 |  #8

Lowner wrote in post #16389676 (external link)
Sorry, but I much prefer the unaltered shot.

Sure, but you frequently have to 'over' sharpen a shot that is going to be printed; while it may look harsh on the computer screen, you can actually see those details in the print. Which was one of the things the OP was wanting to address.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 22, 2013 10:29 |  #9

oahumike wrote in post #16389322 (external link)
I tried printing a bunch of 4x6's at costco the past couple days to see what a larger print may turn out to be. I didn't use the printer profile as I'm not quite that savvy yet.

Did you turn Autocorrect OFF?

Can you (with the calibrated monitors) look at my pictures and see if they are mostly underexposed and also if the color "pops" at all? I use a laptop so it looks good on here but I need to know how to print them so they look how I see them!

I think that you're going at this from the wrong direction. The final print is the only guideline that I would use. Not how the jpg looks on your, or any other monitor. (Browsers make a difference, too! (external link))

Also, are you looking at the prints in your kitchen? In sunlight? Take a look at Why Are My Prints Too Dark? (external link)
Especially, where it says, "It is absolutely critical to have well-controlled print viewing conditions next to the display!"

And you're using a laptop which probably means that what you see from one angle is different from a slightly other angle. So trying to answer your question is getting more & more complicated, isn't it? ; )

First, I've never had a problem with mine, but knowing if your Costco is printing 'correctly' would help, so maybe starting with a known standard print will help to zero in to the problem.
Test images for printing and lens resolution (external link)
PDI_Target_AdobeRGB.jp​g test files at the bottom of: http://www.gballard.ne​t/psd/srgbforwww.html (external link)
Be sure the one you use is sRGB instead of aRGB or CMYK. ;)

Then, looking at your print in the light that you intend that print to be viewed in the future, tweak it if you need to reprint it & make a note of those corrections. Then when you're going to print some other file, make your normal corrections for what you see on the screen. You know that will be off a little, so now add those now 'standard' corrections that you've figured out for your system & suddenly life will get a lot easier?

Snydremark wrote in post #16389913 (external link)
Sure, but you frequently have to 'over' sharpen a shot that is going to be printed; while it may look harsh on the computer screen, you can actually see those details in the print. Which was one of the things the OP was wanting to address.

I agree. Viewing settings for an image aren't optimal for the same image that's going to print.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 22, 2013 12:39 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #10

here is one attempt to improve the sky.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

GoCanes
90 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 22, 2013 17:50 as a reply to  @ nittaya's post |  #11

The adjusted photo by Nighthound will print the best at Costco. My Costco prints always have to be over brightened, sharpened and colors punched to stand out.

I did recently calibrate my monitor so I will have to see if that changes.

Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma Ex DC HSM 10-20mm, Canon 430 EX II, Sigma 70-210 2.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dantoniophotos/ (external link)

oahumike
THREAD ­ STARTER
479 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 23, 2013 02:34 as a reply to  @ GoCanes's post |  #12

thanks for all of the advice. I will try to print them again soon and let you know the results. I'm sure i'll be right back for advice on this topic!

Had a 6D....
Then had a daughter....
Now have an SL2 and Mavic Pro.... Man life changes.
I would encourage you... To just go for it.

sponsored links

2,092 views & 0 likes for this thread
Underexposed?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.