Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 02:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

first shot at blending

oahumike
479 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 23, 2013 02:35 |  #1

Here is my first shot at exposure blending. I'm sure if I gave the 2 files to someone else it would turn out better but some C&C are what I need!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Had a 6D....
Then had a daughter....
Now have an SL2 and Mavic Pro.... Man life changes.
I would encourage you... To just go for it.

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 23, 2013 02:53 |  #2

The foreground being so bright looks slightly fake, but i like it :)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 23, 2013 03:31 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #3

good work. there are holos at coast line, not so serius as you can guasian blur the mask(usually heavily)
that you use for masking and fine tune the mask with soft brush (it is usually very quick easy does not need any skill).

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 23, 2013 07:32 |  #4

It's a nice shot, but about one stop darker would work better for me.

nittaya wrote in post #16392055 (external link)
good work. there are holos at coast line,

"Halos" ; )
Those are always a problem with blended images, & one of the first things that I notice, so you ned to do a little more work on it.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

oahumike
THREAD ­ STARTER
479 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 23, 2013 17:18 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #5

I see the halos and ill have to work in it. I didn't ran to make it look like a painting but that's how it's going

Had a 6D....
Then had a daughter....

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,984 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 24, 2013 10:55 |  #6

One of the things that takes practice and observation is getting the blend correct - not in terms of masking, etc., that is a mechanical process. The fact that you are making a blend is because, typically, there are generally two different levels of scene illumination that challenge or exceed the camera'/raw converter when trying to capture and render that scene from a single shot. So, you take two exposures and blend them, getting the best pixels from each shot and making a composite image from the two. Or you process the same image twice, etc.

Great. So far, so good.

However, in doing so you are compressing the tonal range of the scene to get all of that dynamic range into a single image. Moreover, you are, more or less, compressing the tonal range arbitrarily. This leads to unnatural images. Think about the relative levels of scene luminance and how you can reestablish that once you blend the two sets of pixels into a single good working set. Make notes (mental or otherwise) when you shoot the scene, take meter readings, etc. to get a feel for how relatively bright one critical area is compared to others. This will help you achieve a more natural result when you reestablish contrast.

If the scene were uniformly bright, then exposure blending would not be necessary.

Have fun!

kirk

Kirk
---

Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 24, 2013 11:30 |  #7

Still trying to make sense out of "However, in doing so you are compressing the tonal range of the scene to get all of that dynamic range into a single image. "... I'll try to figure it out on my own, but if I can't, I'll be back here asking for an explanation...

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,984 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 24, 2013 12:00 |  #8

I should be more explicit - you are compressing the tonal range of the scene into the range that your device (display, printer, etc.) can render.

kirk

Kirk
---

NCHANT
Goldmember
3,009 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 24, 2013 22:38 |  #9

nittaya wrote in post #16392055 (external link)
good work. there are holos at coast line, not so serius as you can guasian blur the mask(usually heavily)
that you use for masking and fine tune the mask with soft brush (it is usually very quick easy does not need any skill).

A better non-destructive way is to add a feather to the mask in the Properties section in Photoshop, this way it preserves the original mask but adjusts it anyway. I usually go between 50 and 100px. If you want to go further, click the Mask edge button to refine it more.

And to reduce the dynamic range a bit, you can adjust the 'Density' of the mask, so the image shows through the masked area a bit more - kinda like an opacity setting for the mask.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

6D | 600D | A6000 | 10-22mm ƒ3.5-4.5 USM | 24-105mm ƒ4L USM | TM 35mm ƒ1.8 VC | 40mm ƒ2.8 STM | 50mm ƒ1.8 | 85mm ƒ1.8 | 135mm ƒ2L | 200mm ƒ2.8L II | 55-250 ƒ4.5-5.6 II | Sy 24mm ƒ1.4 | Sy XP 14mm ƒ2.4
Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

oahumike
THREAD ­ STARTER
479 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 27, 2013 19:22 as a reply to  @ NCHANT's post |  #10

Wow. I have so much to learn on everything!

Had a 6D....
Then had a daughter....

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 28, 2013 00:51 |  #11

oahumike wrote in post #16403929 (external link)
Wow. I have so much to learn on everything!

And here, you thought this stuff was simple and easy:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,367 views & 0 likes for this thread
first shot at blending
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.