Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 03:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Food Photography and strobes

crumbleton
98 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 23, 2013 03:53 |  #1

I'm not a pro photographer, just an enthusiastic amateur :-)

A restaurant local to me keeps putting up pics on their website and Twitter/Facebook feeds of their dishes and premises. While they do indeed have great food and location they insist on taking these pictures with an iphone or similar.

I'm considering contacting them and asking if they'd be interested in me taking some nice pics in a controlled setting for their use. I wouldn't charge them as I think it would be good practice for me and plus I'm not even sure I'd want to be a pro photographer. But hey i might get a free meal or two out of it :-)

My question is; a lot of food shoots are done using continuous lighting and several tutorials seem to favour this method of lighting.

Are there any particular things to watch out for if I were to use strobes instead? What are the drawbacks or is it just personal preference?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ao_d/ (external link)

sponsored links
RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 23, 2013 04:10 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Wouldn't charge them as it would be "good practice"? You'll probably end up like the some of us, giving away something for nowt for the rest of their photography life with nothing coming out of it

There is this good tip to 1) shoot with natural light and 2) to photograph it when it's hot

Hyper_Vistas
58 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 23, 2013 05:27 |  #3

I agree with the OP, why not do it for free? Approaching a company with very little relevant work and asking for money, just isn't going to happen. However, doing it in exchange for experience is priceless.

To answer your question about continuous vs strobes, I would set up some food at home with some off camera flash gear. See if you can get some good results with that, if not, play around with some cont lights.

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 23, 2013 06:54 as a reply to  @ Hyper_Vistas's post |  #4

Could be a great opportunity to see if both you and they like the results.

There are as many ways to shoot and light food as there are types of food. I typically use studio strobes but spent the first few years of my career shooting with hot lights. I don't think that it has as much to do with the type of light as much as what you do with it...and that applies to available light as well.

As has been suggested, play around a little at home, build a small portfolio and approach the restaurant with some samples.

Nothing ventured...nothing gained.;)

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

Tc202
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 23, 2013 07:18 |  #5

Why don't you ask for a meal for you and someone else. Now they get pictures and you get food. I would look at fstoppers previous articles about food photography. Good luck!

Alotech Camera Bags (external link)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 23, 2013 07:21 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Hyper_Vistas wrote in post #16392149 (external link)
I agree with the OP, why not do it for free? Approaching a company with very little relevant work and asking for money, just isn't going to happen. However, doing it in exchange for experience is priceless.

To answer your question about continuous vs strobes, I would set up some food at home with some off camera flash gear. See if you can get some good results with that, if not, play around with some cont lights.

OK, but at least ask for some favour, like promoting the OP's photography

Tc202 wrote in post #16392285 (external link)
Why don't you ask for a meal for you and someone else. Now they get pictures and you get food. I would look at fstoppers previous articles about food photography. Good luck!

lol, like your style, good idea

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,079 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 23, 2013 10:40 |  #7

Tc202 wrote in post #16392285 (external link)
Why don't you ask for a meal for you and someone else. Now they get pictures and you get food.

I wouldn't start out by asking them for something free. Maybe this is just me, but if you're considering a business deal, it feels more appropriate to begin by having something to exchange and then making an offer. Buy a meal there in the usual way. Get a table by the window, in daylight. Order dishes that don't wilt fast. Take pictures at the table. Those are your samples.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 23, 2013 11:02 |  #8

OhLook wrote in post #16392774 (external link)
I wouldn't start out by asking them for something free. Maybe this is just me, but if you're considering a business deal, it feels more appropriate to begin by having something to exchange and then making an offer. Buy a meal there in the usual way. Get a table by the window, in daylight. Order dishes that don't wilt fast. Take pictures at the table. Those are your samples.

Let's be real here... Food prepared for photos will be different than food given to a consumer. The chef/restaurant will want the food to be perfect for photos. Plus hauling in strobes to the table for dinner? :)

He wouldn't be asking them for something free. It's a barter, tell them you'll take the photos for a meal. Then do it professionally with strobes or hot lights.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 23, 2013 11:31 |  #9

Good luck with this project - could be fun!
Post some shots when you're done, so Foodguy can rip them to... I mean provide a gentle critique that will benefit all of us.

Good luck!

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,079 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 23, 2013 11:37 |  #10

xchangx wrote in post #16392850 (external link)
Let's be real here... Food prepared for photos will be different than food given to a consumer. The chef/restaurant will want the food to be perfect for photos. Plus hauling in strobes to the table for dinner? :)

By the OP's account, the restaurant's current photos would be easy to improve on. This food thread has many excellent photos of restaurant food taken with available light. Check out some recent entries and see whether you still think my proposal was impractical.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 23, 2013 14:21 |  #11

Curtis N wrote in post #16392941 (external link)
Post some shots when you're done, so Foodguy can rip them to... I mean provide a gentle critique that will benefit all of us.

I've only ever been gentile in my critiques!

But I agree, post some results and maybe there's a tip or 2 that can be passes along.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

sponsored links

2,331 views & 0 likes for this thread
Food Photography and strobes
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.