Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 22, 2013 13:19 |  #2911

mt99 wrote in post #16390238 (external link)
Okay let me try to explain in more detail.

The genesis remote/receiver has groups A-P

The cheetah remote/receiver has groups A-F & 0-9

The issue is that if you place the cheetah trigger on lets just say group A and try to use group A on the genesis receiver, you can not adjust the lights settings (power) it will still fire but you cant make adjustments. So the two remotes are not fully compatible.

My point is that you will need to buy the same brand of receivers and triggers for all of the units if you want to use all of the features. I am sorry I was not clear. I bought them thinking GROUP A on a the cheetah transmitter would allow me to adjust the power if I place the genesis brand on group A also. That is not the case.

A-F + 0-9 is 16 alternatives.
A-P is also 16 alternatives.

So most probably, the two are compatible. Just that they name the alternatives differently. Maybe A => 0, B => 1, ..., J => 9, K => A, L => B, ..., P => F.

Edit: Too late. Already covered.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links
elv
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 22, 2013 18:32 |  #2912

mt99 wrote in post #16390331 (external link)
LOL omg talk about a moment of stupidity. I thought I would match up A for A. Nope as long as the dial is in the same position, they work! I am sorry. I feel soooo dumb. I should have tested it using the dial position instead of letter to letter.

I am laughing sooo hard at my moment of dumbness. :)

No worries, I thought it may be something like that, as I can't imagine they would produce different units. Thanks for pointing it out though, at least we know now.

Thanks for the clamp description too. I've been looking in to a similar idea, but using the less expensive Manfrotto quick release system. I like your system better though thanks.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,061 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 22, 2013 18:44 |  #2913

elv wrote in post #16391167 (external link)
Thanks for the clamp description too. I've been looking in to a similar idea, but using the less expensive Manfrotto quick release system. I like your system better though thanks.

The clamp idea is a good one. I too was thinking about the Manfrotto that I use with my cameras.

Difference is that I have no intention of having one of the CLs on my camera, even with a bracket. That makes the quick release considerations different. And less important.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

mt99
20 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 22, 2013 18:55 |  #2914

elv wrote in post #16391167 (external link)
No worries, I thought it may be something like that, as I can't imagine they would produce different units. Thanks for pointing it out though, at least we know now.

No problem. I wanted a quick system so this works for me. The only thing is the parts are not cheap. I leave one QRC-1 mounted to each light stand also so it is a quick easy move.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 22, 2013 20:57 as a reply to  @ mt99's post |  #2915

Sent the CL-180 to Ed today. Hopefully I'll get a replacement unit back next week. I'm absolutely certain this will all be taken care of.

Really liking the CL-360 units I have minus the 15 shot limitation in High Sync mode. I guess I'll just treat it as a nice-to-have feature rather than rely on it for constant use. I'll need to reevaluate everything.

I bought the YN-622C precisely b/c it plays well with these flashes with regards to high sync mode. There's absolutely no reason to use them otherwise.

I'm going to look into the cellsII-C options as well.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 22, 2013 21:03 |  #2916

dmward wrote in post #16383977 (external link)
Nick,
The full power long flash duration permits 1/8000 with minimal gradation.
Then full power H mode is like 1/2 power normal so, in reality, one gets from full power to 1/16 power.
The heat limit after shooting is a bit of a pain but once known can be worked around. Remember shooting film how careful we were before firing the first shot?

It's not often that I need to fire 10 frames in quick succession. Unless I get lazy. :-)

The 2 to 1 cable is a great benefit for faster recycle in 1/1. But remember, that also means you get to the heat slow down sooner. :-)

Everything has its limits.

For me, ND filters are way to limiting compared to a CL-360.

It's not clear to me whether the heat protection comes into play only when you shoot 10-15 frames in quick succession. I certainly wasn't rattling off 15 shots in burst. That said, I was firing away at will. 5 shots there. Re-pose the couple. Then another few shots there. Etc. Once the heat protection kicked in, I was done. I had to use my 600EX-RT after that.

Also, would using the cellsII-c having the same shot count limitation or is it using a different kind of high sync where it will give me 75 pops at full power?

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,622 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 22, 2013 21:13 |  #2917

abbadon31 wrote in post #16390253 (external link)
Need AF then just a Wasen trigger ;)

QUOTED IMAGE

This thing looks modified. The front appears to have a different emitter than the standard RF602. Not to take this far off topic, but this guy here has the right idea: http://adrian.onsen.ca …ojects/af-assistant-v3-x/ (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,864 posts
Gallery: 259 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 22, 2013 21:24 |  #2918

symbolphoto wrote in post #16391541 (external link)
This thing looks modified. The front appears to have a different emitter than the standard RF602.

LOL it is I used a the af out of an older canon flash. Better pattern then a soccer ball pattern it had before, but it works

Going to open a FT-16 Flash Trigger and see if i can mod it

I AM SHOM

elv
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 22, 2013 22:38 |  #2919

nicksan wrote in post #16391508 (external link)
Also, would using the cellsII-c having the same shot count limitation or is it using a different kind of high sync where it will give me 75 pops at full power?

It is the same if you leave H mode on. You need to leave that off and set the flash to full power.

As you mentioned before the 2 into 1 cable makes all the difference there.

elv
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 22, 2013 22:42 |  #2920

abbadon31 wrote in post #16391562 (external link)
Going to open a FT-16 Flash Trigger and see if i can mod it

I just mount the FT-16 on top of a YN-622C, just for the focus assist light.

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,622 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 22, 2013 22:51 |  #2921

Seems this is an issue for quite a few people... Here are two clunky solutions to the issue at the moment:

http://adrian.onsen.ca …ojects/af-assistant-v3-x/ (external link)

http://michaelbass.blo​gspot.com …ions.html#Start​MiscCustom (external link)

I'm seriously considering buying the CL360 and transplanting a canon IR emitter into it.

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 23, 2013 13:48 as a reply to  @ symbolphoto's post |  #2922

I've started to play around with the H-mode lately, and I noticed that I the power can't be set to anything lower than 1/8 in this mode.. Is this normal, or am I just doing something wrong?

I've come across situations where I needed less flash power than 1/8, especially when shooting around f/1.2 - f/1.8 and trying to balance the flash with bright sunlight.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

windpig
Chopped liver
14,791 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 23, 2013 14:14 |  #2923

ND gel

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 23, 2013 14:21 |  #2924

Ginga wrote in post #16393302 (external link)
I've started to play around with the H-mode lately, and I noticed that I the power can't be set to anything lower than 1/8 in this mode.. Is this normal, or am I just doing something wrong?

I've come across situations where I needed less flash power than 1/8, especially when shooting around f/1.2 - f/1.8 and trying to balance the flash with bright sunlight.

1/8 is the limit:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'application/xml'

This excerpt from the manual also shows the 15 shot limit before thermal slowdown.

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,864 posts
Gallery: 259 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 23, 2013 14:38 |  #2925

Good thing its a slow down not a melt down

I AM SHOM

sponsored links

1,249,797 views & 272 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.