Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 30 Nov 2012 (Friday) 00:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A-Z No rules

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,951 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Oct 23, 2013 22:23 |  #4981

A white bag

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Thanks for the heads up Tom

Nice buck btw

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,053 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 23, 2013 22:48 |  #4982

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16394489 (external link)
A white dress

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16390113 (external link)
taking a ride

That looks familiar;)

Ricardo, I love your cottage shot, too. I especially like the layered foliage; deciduous treetops down at cottage elevation, and evergreens up higher - classic!

Bokeh Buck

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 23, 2013 23:06 |  #4983

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16394484 (external link)
Love the tone and the mood..... Perfectly done..

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16394541 (external link)
Ricardo, I love your cottage shot, too. I especially like the layered foliage; deciduous treetops down at cottage elevation, and evergreens up higher - classic!

Bokeh Buck

Thank you both. Yes, it was one of those winter mornings that offer so much...I could hardly drag myself away to continue my car trip!

I love your "street stories" Allen...so much content, so well timed!

And that buck, Tom...in the wild? or do you have a game park nearby? Cool shot either way.

Growing old disgracefully!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,053 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 23, 2013 23:18 |  #4984

Ricardo222 wrote in post #16394578 (external link)
. . . that buck, Tom...in the wild? or do you have a game park nearby? Cool shot either way.

Oh, yes - in the wild. I only shoot wildlife that is non-captive, and completely free to roam wherever they want.

Deer, especially mature bucks, are really tough to get close to, so I really focus on photographing them in November, when they breed. The bucks tend to lose a little of their caution then because of hormonal changes. Plus, what really helps, is when they find a "hot" doe (a doe in heat) that does not mind being near people. Then, the bucks are "stuck" . . . they have to remain when I approach, or they will lose their doe. This gives me the chance I wait all year for! Gotta love those does, especially the ones that aren't very afraid of humans.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

octaveman
793 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 24, 2013 00:38 |  #4985

Crocodillian

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5522/10448477466_7e56d87f62_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …bworthington/10​448477466/  (external link)
_MG_3754 (external link) by Bob Worthington Photography (external link), on Flickr

Website (external link), Facebook (external link), Flickr (external link)
Canon 7D II gripped | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-105 f/4.0L | 60mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.8 II | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Yongnuo YN560 IV | Yongnuo YN560TX | Nice Foto 680W N-Flash

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,053 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 24, 2013 01:15 |  #4986

^ ^ ^ ^
Bob, that is insanely cool! Both the detail and the design of the eye are amazing.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 24, 2013 03:32 |  #4987

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16394602 (external link)
Oh, yes - in the wild. I only shoot wildlife that is non-captive, and completely free to roam wherever they want.

Deer, especially mature bucks, are really tough to get close to, so I really focus on photographing them in November, when they breed. The bucks tend to lose a little of their caution then because of hormonal changes. Plus, what really helps, is when they find a "hot" doe (a doe in heat) that does not mind being near people. Then, the bucks are "stuck" . . . they have to remain when I approach, or they will lose their doe. This gives me the chance I wait all year for! Gotta love those does, especially the ones that aren't very afraid of humans.

Ah Tom...good on you! Here in New Zealand before humans arrived there were no mammals apart from a species of Bat. The Polynesians brought some small domestic animals but they c reated no problems that I know of. However, the European settlers in the 18th and 19th century brought just about every form of animal they could...just to remind them of home I think. Everthing but the big cats and the larger African and North American mammals.

Sadly the balance of nature was completely destroyed and this land of forests and birds was put under grave risk...mostly from rabbits, possums (the Aussie kind) and deer. When I was a kid you could walk through miles of native beech forest and not find a young tree...the forests were dying though they looked okay from the outside at that time. So the government instituted a scheme of deer culling...hunters were given a block of back country land and shot deer for the bounty. Sounds grim, but it was sadly necessary.

The scheme was moderately successful, but only just in many places, until the 1960s when a market was found in Europe for wild venison, and all of a sudden there was some real money to be made. First by huinters on foot and in jet boats up the rivers, then in helicpters, shooting from the air. Within a few years the deer population was back to a manageable amount, and the forest has begun to regenerate.

I had the good fortune to be one of the last of the old style deer cullers, when I was a lad in the 1960s. I had 400 square miles of mountains, forest and tussock country, a few huts supplied on an irregular basis by the NZ Forest Service ranger for whom I worked, and the rest was up to me. It truly was a terrific life for a young fellow, sometimes not seeing another soul for a month at a time, and I learned those same skills you mention...getting to know the habits of the animals and trying to out guess them. My Dad had taught me to never pride myself on shooting at long range but to learn to get close, as that was to be a real hunter. And that way you make clean kills and don't wound animals.

If only I had had a camera with me! Now I only use a camera, but I'm not as agile as I was then!

(Sorry about the rave...but I was so intrigued by your post that it brought all those memories back!)

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 24, 2013 03:48 |  #4988

Down at the airstrip.

Tom, just as a matter of interest, the mountain range in the background is the mountain block that was my hunting ground forty something years ago, mentioned in the previous post. All you can see there and a whole lot more...the Takitimu Mountains in Northern Southland, NZ.

In this pic we were waiting to be flown into Fiordland a few weeks ago.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

silma
489 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 24, 2013 06:56 |  #4989

English lessons

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2841/10344663076_0300174844_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lucasano/103446​63076/  (external link) ott16 (external link) di LucaSano (external link), su Flickr

my flickr (external link)

my dreamstime (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,951 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Oct 24, 2013 07:41 |  #4990

frightening background

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,340 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 24, 2013 12:14 |  #4991

silma wrote in post #16395045 (external link)
English lessons

Hmm. Around here it's "I be," "you be," "we be,"...

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,340 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 24, 2013 12:16 as a reply to  @ LV Moose's post |  #4992

Golden

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5485/10452739486_992cc1a6e4_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …92594357@N07/10​452739486/  (external link)
DW0A7489_960x_s (external link) by ...moose... (external link), on Flickr

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
5,746 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 24, 2013 12:24 |  #4993

House

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3808/10375119724_b07d8c9a63_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …17780993@N08/10​375119724/  (external link)
Home Sweet Home (external link) by Eastbaygirl925 (external link), on Flickr

Stina
flickr (external link)
Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,053 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 24, 2013 13:29 |  #4994

Ricardo222 wrote in post #16394885 (external link)
I had the good fortune to be one of the last of the old style deer cullers, when I was a lad in the 1960s. I had 400 square miles of mountains, forest and tussock country, a few huts supplied on an irregular basis by the NZ Forest Service ranger for whom I worked, and the rest was up to me. It truly was a terrific life for a young fellow, sometimes not seeing another soul for a month at a time, and I learned those same skills you mention...getting to know the habits of the animals and trying to out guess them.
(Sorry about the rave...but I was so intrigued by your post that it brought all those memories back!)

Ricardo222 wrote in post #16394899 (external link)
Tom, just as a matter of interest, the mountain range in the background is the mountain block that was my hunting ground forty something years ago, mentioned in the previous post. All you can see there and a whole lot more...the Takitimu Mountains in Northern Southland, NZ.

Wow, Ricardo - that does indeed sound like an awesome life for a young man (or an older one) to live!

I also spent much of my childhood outdoors in nature - back in the '70's and '80's. But I grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia, and had to make do with small undeveloped areas surrounded by suburbia. I always longed for great big expanses of "wide open", such as you had. So, a few years ago I finally moved - all the way across the US to Washington State. I am now far from any cities and have hundreds of square miles of natural areas to spend my time in. I guess when it comes to living one's dreams, late is better than never!

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,101 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 24, 2013 13:38 |  #4995

It's Up to You

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i641.photobucke​t.com …/forkchop_zps1b​08fbe0.jpg (external link)

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links

2,150,463 views & 5,483 likes for this thread
A-Z No rules
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.