Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 20 Oct 2013 (Sunday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Engagment Shoot

Springs32
95 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 20, 2013 14:54 |  #1

Whats your take on the set?

http://www.derekcopenh​aver.com/montana-katie (external link)

http://www.derekcopenh​aver.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 20, 2013 17:48 |  #2

I think there are some neat and fun shots in there, but the constant over exposed backgrounds kinda kills it for me. They are incredibly distracting and I find my self doing nothing but staring at the sun. The best pictures in that set have nothing to do with a sun behind them IMHO.

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,920 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 20, 2013 18:48 |  #3

Disagree. I find this set very well done.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

rioni
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 20, 2013 20:27 |  #4

I think a few of the crops are abit tight but overall, very nice work.

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,108 posts
Gallery: 113 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 20, 2013 22:31 |  #5

I think some of the backgrounds are a bit distracting, in particular the ones with the cars and fences. I imagine that is the reason some of the images are cropped tightly, to get rid of the background. Other than that, I feel like something is missing. Hard to pin point why, but many of the images don't convey the sense of "engagement shoot" to me. Not necessarily your fault, but the couple doesn't seem to be connecting in the photos.

With that said, I don't think they are bad by any means. Just providing some feedback for you to consider next time.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 20, 2013 22:53 |  #6

mannetti21 wrote in post #16386295 (external link)
I think some of the backgrounds are a bit distracting, in particular the ones with the cars and fences. I imagine that is the reason some of the images are cropped tightly, to get rid of the background. Other than that, I feel like something is missing. Hard to pin point why, but many of the images don't convey the sense of "engagement shoot" to me. Not necessarily your fault, but the couple doesn't seem to be connecting in the photos.

With that said, I don't think they are bad by any means. Just providing some feedback for you to consider next time.

I can't believe I'm saying this, because I fully respect and enjoy mannetti21's work, but I have to disagree with the bolded sentance. To me, the set has a very 'connected' feel between the two, and they look very natural, comfortable, and in love.

Nice set. :)

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,108 posts
Gallery: 113 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 20, 2013 23:11 |  #7

I think connected was the wrong word. Looking through them again, they do indeed seem to be interacting with each other in a playful way. They look to be laughing/giggling in most of the photos. Maybe I was expecting/hoping for some shots were they were connecting on a more intimate and serious level. But hey, every couple/relationship is different and I suppose my (your) expectations as the photographer are pretty irrelevant. So long as the client is happy with the final product!

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 21, 2013 09:49 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

KirkS518 wrote in post #16386333 (external link)
I can't believe I'm saying this, because I fully respect and enjoy mannetti21's work, but I have to disagree with the bolded sentance. To me, the set has a very 'connected' feel between the two, and they look very natural, comfortable, and in love.

Nice set. :)

I agree, they look very natural and connected. More so than others I have seen

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 21, 2013 10:25 |  #9

I think it's a pretty good set. It lacks some variety though. Also, it looks like you missed focus on a bunch of them. It might just be hard to tell since the photos are a little small. They may very well be in focus.

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 21, 2013 10:45 |  #10

i like them alot, its great when a couple can convey fun like this. personally i'd like to see the WB at bit warmer, especially since the sun is so prominent.

the set could use more cleanup. you have some serious purple fringing going on and i'd remove some elements of the atmospheric shots like the jogger. all in all a very nice set, the couple should be happy.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Oct 23, 2013 06:45 |  #11

I LIKE

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

chocolatekara
286 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 23, 2013 23:34 |  #12

I'm probably completely off the mark, but some of them felt a little distorted.
Cute couple, looked like a lot of fun :) :) I love engagement shoots! thanks for sharing !

Q-Man
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 24, 2013 19:11 |  #13

These are great and very candid and natural. I'm sure your clients love them because you're capturing "them" as they are naturaly. I looked through your other sets too. Very nice work.

The only thing I would say, and it's very minor and just a preference, is watch the WB through the entire set. It shifts slightly but only enough that another photographer might notice.

Q

6D | 7D MkII | 16-35 f4L | 35 f1.2L II | 135 f2L | 180 f3.5L | 400 f5.6L
breathephoto (external link)

Springs32
THREAD ­ STARTER
95 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 25, 2013 21:04 |  #14

Thanks for all the responses and critiques everyone. Ill take it all into consideration! Im always trying to learn and get better to further develop my style and broaden my skills!

http://www.derekcopenh​aver.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,420 views & 0 likes for this thread
Engagment Shoot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.