Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 25 Oct 2013 (Friday) 08:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for some constructive criticism on an e-session

Jill ­ Kelly
62 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 25, 2013 08:23 |  #1

Hello, everyone. I want to continue to improve and grow as a photographer, and I feel one of the best ways to do that is to learn from others. So, without further ado, if you'd be so kind as to check out my most recent e-session and post a little constructive criticism, I'd be super grateful! I'm looking forward to your tips, hints, and suggestions.

http://www.jillianjose​ph.com …-creek-ranch-meghan-cory/ (external link)

www.jillianjoseph.com (external link)

sponsored links
HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 25, 2013 08:40 |  #2

From a quick glance at your blog post, here are a couple of comments:

1) Most of the pictures in the first half are underexposed.
2) The post processing is not very pleasant and all over the place.
3) Photo #3 looks like an extreme crop from Photo #2, resulting in a huge quality loss.

It'd be easier if you posted a couple of pictures here instead of a link.

If you want a more in-depth review, post a picture or two and I'll take a stab at it.

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 25, 2013 08:57 |  #3

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #16397870 (external link)

3) Photo #3 looks like an extreme crop from Photo #2, resulting in a huge quality loss.

If you want a more in-depth review, post a picture or two and I'll take a stab at it.

+1. Jill, you will get more feedback if you post a few photos here (better yet post to the photo sharing section). As noted above, it's way better to get the tighter portraits in camera instead of doing an extreme crop. Also many of the photos are underexposed and skin tones are off. First photo is probably my favorite out of the bunch.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Jill ­ Kelly
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 25, 2013 09:20 as a reply to  @ amirg's post |  #4

Thank you for your feedback. I find your suggestions and experience very helpful. This was my first post to this forum, so thank you for pointing me to the right area for cc. Thanks!

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 25, 2013 09:49 |  #5

You're welcome. Don't be afraid to post photos and don't be afraid to take criticism. Keep posting and keep learning! :D

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

Jill ­ Kelly
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 25, 2013 11:08 |  #6

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #16397870 (external link)

Thanks for your feedback! I was shooting the first half of the session in AV and noticed the exposure issue, so I switched to manual mode, which is where I typically shoot and noticed an improvement. I'll definitely shoot tight vs. crop from here forward! Promise! ;)

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 25, 2013 11:12 |  #7

After viewing what seemed like a dozen pics I started to wonder if these people had eyes. They were lookng away in almost all the photos. I want to see there eyes.

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 25, 2013 22:19 |  #8

It looks like you didn't use a flash for these? That would have been a major improvement (especially if the flash was off-camera). There are a lot of 'available light only' purists out there but remember, no camera can see as many stops of light as the human eye. Using a flash isn't necessarily creating artificial light, it's making the image look more natural by making it look more like how our own eyes see things. I always shoot available light...since all my flashes are always available to me!

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 28, 2013 02:45 |  #9

Meh... there was plenty of great light there without a flash... you just need to learn to see where it is... i.e. see how the camera sees light.

Try this technique
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1331060

Ignore the eyes comment... the best e-shoots are when the couples are into each other more than anything else in my opinion. Yes you'll have some looking at the camera but after a while it gets boring if they are all like that.

Peter

rondiggity
62 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 28, 2013 09:54 |  #10

A little light on the beginning pics I'd say. Some would like your exposure but most nowadays like a nice bright look. Things like undershirts and small parts of dresses may get overexposed, you will find a balance.

1DX | 50 1.2 | 70-200 II | 600s | San Diego Wedding Photographer (external link) | Google+ (external link)

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 28, 2013 11:11 |  #11

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16404727 (external link)
Meh... there was plenty of great light there without a flash... you just need to learn to see where it is... i.e. see how the camera sees light.

Try this technique
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1331060

Ignore the eyes comment... the best e-shoots are when the couples are into each other more than anything else in my opinion. Yes you'll have some looking at the camera but after a while it gets boring if they are all like that.

As do when the couple is constanly looking away from the camera. A balance would be nice.

Alan ­ Rubio
837 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 28, 2013 18:47 |  #12

The shot through the leaves thing was kinda over done, your editing/pp was kinda different for every set of shots minus the shots with props. Well done on the swing shot that is my fav.

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -Howard Thurman

sponsored links

1,380 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for some constructive criticism on an e-session
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.