Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Dec 2006 (Sunday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightsphere III ?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 24, 2013 08:57 as a reply to  @ post 16395246 |  #61

definitely back.

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=16163449#po​st16163449

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 24, 2013 09:22 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #62

Thats great. He is really excellent with the light.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 25, 2013 15:46 |  #63

I have learned to follow (as much as possible) to "foof" as Denis Reggie and Joe Buissink do. I do not have the fast lenses they do but foofing is a lot better I think than the LSII or any modifier when it can be done.

pictureman62
439 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 25, 2013 19:53 |  #64

Hey TMR, "NO MORE SOUP FOR YOU!!" lmbo

Capture today, for everyone to enjoy tomorrow!:D
5D mkiii / 6D / 7D / (4) 600ex-rt, / Canon 135 F2 L /Canon 200 2.8L / Canon 24-105 4L / Canon 24-70 2.8 L / Canon 70-200 4 L / Canon 85 1.8 /Canon 50 1.8 STM / Canon ef-s 17-55 2.8 and plenty of smiles!:D

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,899 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 26, 2013 09:11 |  #65

pictureman62 wrote in post #16399432 (external link)
Hey TMR, "NO MORE SOUP FOR YOU!!" lmbo

I tried to convince Robert to go into production, and I'd do the sales for him. No success. So I decided to build my own...
Like Robert's Soupsphere (and Fong's Lightsphere) my Fetasphere is a relatively small source.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Equipment/IMG_1732.jpg

So I came out with Icecreamsphere to get reasonable softness even from direct light (not relying upon ceiling bounce for softness, like when there is no ceiling... outside)
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Equipment/Flashmod-3_zpsace8a246.jpg
Then I made it collapsible, for better compact travel from one place to another.
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Equipment/IceCream-2_zps26e19771.jpg

And no MSG is involved in the production

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
41,899 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 26, 2013 09:21 |  #66

umphotography wrote in post #16395242 (external link)
OK a serious Question......Robert didnt get banned for this did he ??

Robert is one of the true lighting gurus we have here on the canon forums.

Robert was banned for a prolonged period of time, for having two accounts on POTN (one created somewhat unintentionally in the distant past, and generally unused by him).
With his permission, I tried to petition the powers that be that the ban be lifted, but I was not successful. Then Robert later petitioned in his own behalf, and the powers eventually relented and let him back. Unfortunately, Robert has generally 'moved on' and does not participate with nearly as much involvement as in the past.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 27, 2013 08:29 |  #67

Wilt wrote in post #16400492 (external link)
Robert was banned for a prolonged period of time, for having two accounts on POTN (one created somewhat unintentionally in the distant past, and generally unused by him).
With his permission, I tried to petition the powers that be that the ban be lifted, but I was not successful. Then Robert later petitioned in his own behalf, and the powers eventually relented and let him back. Unfortunately, Robert has generally 'moved on' and does not participate with nearly as much involvement as in the past.

Thats too bad. Robert, Curtis, and many others have put out a ton a valuable information on POTN.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Luigi123
75 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 12, 2017 01:17 |  #68

Obviously I would not use topper-wear at a wedding.
Also, I cannot use the white pull out card with vertical photos... this is the main reason I like the sphere , it lets me switch from horizontal to vertical in an instant and get the same results a bare flash cannot deliver. Is there a way to overcome that without the gary Fong?

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 12, 2017 07:11 |  #69

Luigi123 wrote in post #18352527 (external link)
Obviously I would not use topper-wear at a wedding.
Also, I cannot use the white pull out card with vertical photos... this is the main reason I like the sphere , it lets me switch from horizontal to vertical in an instant and get the same results a bare flash cannot deliver. Is there a way to overcome that without the gary Fong?

First off, you can use a flash bracket for when you want to change the orientation of the camera and keep the flash above and centered.

Secondly, to anyone who knows what you are doing and why, you really do look just as ridiculous with a Gary Fong (and related) garbage on your camera/flash. Quite possibly, even more ridiculous. At least the Orange Sherbet bowl didn't cost the user $50.

Anything you can do with any of those 'tupperware' attachments can be done with a rubber band and a 3x5 white card or two, and do it for less money, while wasting less battery power. Some people have made snide comments about my 'attachments'. Don't give a FFA. I am usually the only shooter sporting a DSLR, which means I already stand out in the crowd. When I am on an outing with my camera(s), I am after results, not trying to win a popularity contest.

Luigi123
75 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 12, 2017 09:39 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #70

????
Oh goodness.

When did I say I am trying to win a popularity contest???? LOL
What the hell do popularity contests have to do with me wanting to get the same effect vertical or horizontally without having to rely on a white card that cannot be used when shooting vertically as it can when shooting horizontally? I want the same results.
What the hell do popularity contests have to do with me wanting to use something that is not actually a topper-wear as a professional photographer at an event..... Because I don't want to seem getto does not mean I want popularity, for all I care I wish I was invisible.

Gary Fong probably got the idea from a topper-wear and after putting it on his flash noticing what he can do he realized "I should make a topper wear-like product that is actually designed to fit on a lens properly and someone can use at events without people saying "hey, I have the same topper-wear at home!" Inventions don't always have to be different from everything that already exists, why re-invent the wheel when it can serve other purposes too?

For a moment, after noticing how many people on here were against Fongs I started to really wonder if they were truly useless, but now I feel a lot better after your post--- there are always silly people that are going to be outspoken about how a product is terrible, even if they don't make much sense.

Camera flash brackets are much more bulky and cumbersome and you cant stick it in your pocket when you don't need it. It adds a lot more weight and makes your whole system feel huge and bulky.

So tell me, how do you achieve the white card effect consistently when switching from vertical to horizontal while pointing the flash upwards? Without a heavy cumbersome bracket which I don't think would even allow that either, because your flash can't be pointing up to a ceiling while the white card is pointing forward unless the flash is standing up vertically.

Luigi123
75 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 12, 2017 09:55 |  #71

Bassat wrote in post #18352655 (external link)
First off, you can use a flash bracket for when you want to change the orientation of the camera and keep the flash above and centered.

Secondly, to anyone who knows what you are doing and why, you really do look just as ridiculous with a Gary Fong (and related) garbage on your camera/flash. Quite possibly, even more ridiculous. At least the Orange Sherbet bowl didn't cost the user $50.

Anything you can do with any of those 'tupperware' attachments can be done with a rubber band and a 3x5 white card or two, and do it for less money, while wasting less battery power. Some people have made snide comments about my 'attachments'. Don't give a FFA. I am usually the only shooter sporting a DSLR, which means I already stand out in the crowd. When I am on an outing with my camera(s), I am after results, not trying to win a popularity contest.

In addition to my first reply, when I see people using the dorky flash brackets (usually more oldschool photographers) the flash is always pointing at the subject (I rarely do this, I find it horrible for photos). And a flash bracket will add 2 pounds to your gear. If you are shooting 10 hour events, every pound counts. A topper-wear weighs a fraction of the weight of a huge metal bracket that takes up not just some space above the flash but a ton of space all around the camera making it feel (and seem) more cumbersome. I have the older Fong and I can take it on and off so easily and quickly when I need to. Again, you may not do enough events to use one, or just never really figured out how to use one.

Wilt
41,899 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (6 edits in all)

May 12, 2017 10:33 as a reply to  @ Luigi123's post |  #72

If you go back to the OP of this parody thread, in the very first photo you can see the homemade bounce device pointed upward to the ceiling while the camera is in Portrait orientation, thereby disproving your statement about reliance on an expensive and heavy (and in your terms, dorky) addition (rotating bracket) to work properly.

So a solution (albeit very tongue-in-cheek ones by Robert or myself) that does not cost $50 is available.
Lightspheres are not 'useless'...they have a time and place in which they work fine. The issue is that too many photographers fail to understand when they do nothing but hurt your flash power and battery flash capacity.
I used to complain about deceptive advertising, a decade ago...I have not seen such deceptions in advertising about the Lightsphere over the past half decade, to Gary Fong's credit.

BTW, this is a four year old thread, which you revived. Talk about the 'living dead'!

Luigi123
75 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 12, 2017 17:34 |  #73

Wilt wrote in post #18352834 (external link)
If you go back to the OP of this parody thread, in the very first photo you can see the homemade bounce device pointed upward to the ceiling while the camera is in Portrait orientation, thereby disproving your statement about reliance on an expensive and heavy (and in your terms, dorky) addition (rotating bracket) to work properly.

You're welcome for reviving the thread :) I lost my gary fong and was looking for possible alternatives but went ahead and bought another. I do mostly events, and like you said, in the right moments it makes a big enough difference for the kind of money a client is paying me. Do I use it all the time? Of course not, no tool is used all the time.

Regarding to what you say above, I think you misunderstood me. I have no problem with the DIY solution, it's just not going to be as reliable (ergonomically or very professional when you are suppose to look like a professional, not with an icecream tub on your flash). After-all the Fong is just a topperwear designed specifically to go on a flash, which may be minor, but important tweaks for anyone who does photography professionally. It pays itself on day one.

What I find silly is people saying they are useless, and to just use the bounce card, when the bounce card will never accomplish the same effect as something that looks totally different and is specifically designed to shoot light up, down, left right, and even back. Most importantly, in portrait orientation the bounce card won't produce the same results, which is not a good thing when you go from horizontal to vertical without even thinking. So in a lab, you may be able to set everything perfectly to produce the same lighting as the fong, but in the real world it makes all the difference.

Also, to people that say "get a bracket instead", I say, I thought you meant don't get a fong because it makes no difference and you're just adding something to your set up for no reason. (Needless to say, bracket doesn't produce the same effects)

This is a good article https://photography.tu​tsplus.com …-lightsphere--photo-14169 (external link)
This is a relevant quote from the article:
"but keep the hinge oriented so that you can go from horizontal to vertical quickly. You'll have consistent light quality no matter your camera's orientation."

Christopherm
305 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2011

May 12, 2017 18:12 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #74

Actually this a 10+ year old thread. The discussion 4 years ago was from the previous necro-bumper.

Gear: A lot more than I deserve and a lot less than I want!

sponsored links

12,070 views & 1 like for this thread
Lightsphere III ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.