Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Oct 2013 (Saturday) 05:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you use for portable lighting

willie45
51 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 26, 2013 05:08 |  #1

Hi

I have a kit of Elinchrom lights I use for events but now I'm planning to photograph families in their own homes. I don't fancy lugging the einchroms around and trying to use them in confined spaces.

I'd like to know what sort of kit any of you who do this sort of thing use?

I'm guessing my best options would be a few speedlites, with a small softox.

I have 2 x 600 EX RT and a 430 EX II with a couple of modifiers.

What do you reckon?

sponsored links
lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 26, 2013 06:39 |  #2

I have a toolbox that contains my portable kit.

4x YN-460 II's
3x 6' "nano" stands
2x superclamps
6x umbrella adapters
Tri-flash adapter
gaff tape and marking tape
4x rf-602's
2x westcott collapsible 43" soft silver
2x westcott collapsible 43" convertible
a few 44" wide fabric samples for backgrounds
Bungee ball cords
and I plan to add a foldable 24 or 30" softbox to the mix soon for flexibility

If it doesn't fit in a single box that I can easily grab and run with, it isn't "portable" by my definition.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

willie45
THREAD ­ STARTER
51 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 26, 2013 11:10 |  #3

That's an interesting kit you have. I notice that at the moment you're using mainly umbrellas as modifiers. I find these are great for groups and larger rooms but I can't control the light very easily in smaller rooms, especially with light coloured walls and low ceilings. Presumably that's the reason for the softbox coming along.

I agree with your idea of portability and that's what I'm after. The Elinchroms are portable to some extent but obviously a lot more bulky than Speedlites or similar

Thanks for sharing :)

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 26, 2013 11:27 |  #4

For small rooms or such I bounce my Vivitar 283's (2)up into the ceiling/wall behind me and light up the entire room, most of the time a single 283 will do the job and I use a light meter to meter the light. Sometimes I'll use ettl and bounce my 580exII in the same fashion with camera set on manual and that works good also. For larger rooms I use my novatron kit and umbrellas.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 26, 2013 11:37 |  #5

The answer, to some extent, will depend on the camera. If you have a 5DIII or similar ISO 800 files can easily be used for prints up to 24x36 or larger. That means your 600EX-RTs will probably be enough.

If you have Eli modifiers you like, then a quadra with two heads is worth consideration.

I am a big fan of umbrella frame modifiers and use them with Cheetah Light 360s and 180s. That's enough light for any situation. I have the modifiers and stands in a grip bag and can use them with either the Cheetah Lights or 600EX-RTs depending on situation.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 26, 2013 14:59 |  #6

lazer-jock wrote in post #16400282 (external link)
I have a toolbox that contains my portable kit.

4x YN-460 II's
3x 6' "nano" stands
2x superclamps
6x umbrella adapters
Tri-flash adapter
gaff tape and marking tape
4x rf-602's
2x westcott collapsible 43" soft silver
2x westcott collapsible 43" convertible
a few 44" wide fabric samples for backgrounds
Bungee ball cords
and I plan to add a foldable 24 or 30" softbox to the mix soon for flexibility

If it doesn't fit in a single box that I can easily grab and run with, it isn't "portable" by my definition.

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of this setup in the tool box would you? :)

I'm looking at either a ladder dolly http://www.amazon.com …1-3&keywords=ladder+doll​y (external link)
or a golf bag cart https://photography-on-the.net …?p=8053972&post​count=1194
for more portability when carrying stuff, especially light stands and the camera bag (Ape case medium usually).

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 26, 2013 15:44 |  #7

In my ThinkTank Streetwalker HD I have 2 580 EXII's which go with me everywhere.

I have a Pelican 1564 with 2 Cheetah's (a 360 and a 180) and all of their related hardware. I bring this with me whenever I know for certain I'll need OCF. Even though I'll have the 580's with me already, since they're in my main camera bag, I prefer to use the Cheetah's and especially their remote power control capabilities. The 580's are sort of for "just in case" or if I need on-camera TTL.

And finally I carry a few stands, Creative Light 43" brolly's, and Photek 60" umbrella (which I LOVE), in this case: http://www.adorama.com​/TPCSD45.html (external link)

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

willie45
THREAD ­ STARTER
51 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 26, 2013 16:13 |  #8

I did wonder if it might be better to look at something like the Ranger Quadra kit but it's a bit pricey for me at the moment. Maybe if I was starting from scratch I'd go for it but as I already have few speedlites probably not.

Cheetah is a name that is coming up more and more. Unfortunately, I'm in the UK and can't really get these easily. Even if I took a punt and had them shipped the cost would be pretty big and then the problem of after sales support becomes an issue.

I reckon I might just add a couple of YN flashes ( or maybe even some 580 EX II used ) to the mix and go with the modifiers I have. This sounds reasonable does it not?

hbomb69
255 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 26, 2013 16:19 |  #9

willie45 wrote in post #16401331 (external link)
I did wonder if it might be better to look at something like the Ranger Quadra kit but it's a bit pricey for me at the moment. Maybe if I was starting from scratch I'd go for it but as I already have few speedlites probably not.

Cheetah is a name that is coming up more and more. Unfortunately, I'm in the UK and can't really get these easily. Even if I took a punt and had them shipped the cost would be pretty big and then the problem of after sales support becomes an issue.

I reckon I might just add a couple of YN flashes ( or maybe even some 580 EX II used ) to the mix and go with the modifiers I have. This sounds reasonable does it not?

You can get the Cheetah/Godox AD-180 and 360 kits from Calumet UK and Lencarta UK, it works out cheaper than using Cheetah and you'll get the local UK warranty...BTW I got my 360 kit from Cheetah before I knew of the UK sellers!!! doh!

CANON 5D MKIII x 2 / CANON 50D / CANON 550D
http://www.michaelhard​castle.co.uk (external link)
Facebook.com/michaelha​rdcastlephotography

willie45
THREAD ­ STARTER
51 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 26, 2013 16:43 |  #10

Hi Michael thanks for that. I will check out their prices but TBH I looked for them before I spent all that cash on the 600 EX RTs and if I had known they were in the UK then I'd probably have gone with them.

As it is,I can't really afford to jettison my speedlites having just bought them a few months ago. I will probably stick with the speedlites and add to them. I just don't see the point in making them redundant so soon.

I'm actually inclined to buy a couple of Nissin D866 which would cost around £400 and I believe I could use these in manual mode fired by the flashes I already have in optical trigger mode. Also there's no learning curve to speak of and I don't need to buy any more accessories and light modifiers.

If this is wrong can someone please tell me.

Thanks

I'm wondering now

DDL
452 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 26, 2013 17:40 as a reply to  @ willie45's post |  #11

Lencarta
http://www.lencarta.co​m …m-barebulb-portable-flash (external link)

Calumet (Genesis)
http://www.calumetphot​o.com …ess-trigger-kit/CF0182K1/ (external link)

DDL

GearList

tongki
439 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 26, 2013 23:14 as a reply to  @ DDL's post |  #12

I use Quantum for that assignment, works great

EOS 70D x 2 units + EOS 7D mark II x3 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x4,EF 24-70mm f/2.8 x2, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 x2
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x5
Propac PB960 head x12, PB960 battery x10
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

willie45
THREAD ­ STARTER
51 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 07, 2013 07:21 |  #13

A quick update. I purchased an Atom 360 from Lencarta and very very early impressions are very positive. The trigger I got from them won't do HSS though and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile looking for one that does.

Hbomb69 if you're still looking at this thread, ( or anyone else using godox type flashes ) do you use HSS at all and if so what triggers do you use?

NYC2BGI
846 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 07, 2013 10:53 |  #14

3 Yongnuo 565EXs, 1 Canon 580EX II, an Apollo Orb, several Yongnuo 622C triggers and lightstands. I bounce off of the ceiling and walls when inside.

Canon 5D3, 5D2, 40D
EF 50mm f1.4, EF 85mm f1.8,
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
http://www.facebook.co​m/HightechPix (external link)

mike1812
337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 07, 2013 11:07 |  #15

I see you just got an Atom, but will add that if you can wait a bit and want to expand your flash lineup, Yongnuo is coming out with their version of the Canon 600EX RT's which will work WITH the Canon system, along with their version of the ST-E3-RT. That would allow you to expand your flash system at a lower price point (though pricing not yet announced). There's a thread on these here:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1332862

EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | ST-E3-RT | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony A7RIII Gripped | Sony 16-35GM | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 100-400GM | Sony 1.4x | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | Flashpoint Xplor AD600 | Flashpoint AD200 (2)| Flashpoint AD360 | plus too many doodads to list

sponsored links

6,205 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you use for portable lighting
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.