Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Oct 2013 (Saturday) 13:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Filenames on 5D3

davem01
91 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 26, 2013 13:39 |  #1

I have a trivial but very annoying problem with my 5D3
I set the filename from the default 2P7A to 5D3_ and it worked fine up to file 5D3_0999 but when it went over the 1000 exposures the filename now writes as _D3_1234. If i go back to the default numbering system it still drops the first digit and replaces it with an underscore (_P7A_1234)
Has anyone else got this issue or knows a fix - i can rename in DPP but shouldn't need too
its always the simple things that drive you crazy!

My Gear: 5D mk iv, EF 24-105L, 70-300L, 100L IS Macro, 17-40L, 100-400L mkii

sponsored links
Jim_T
Goldmember
3,304 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Oct 26, 2013 13:44 |  #2

The leading underscore appears in file names when you've selected the Adobe RGB color space.. It's there to let you know that the image is not using the standard RGB color space.. Did you change to Adobe RGB recently? If not, I'd do a complete reset...

davem01
THREAD ­ STARTER
91 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 26, 2013 13:49 as a reply to  @ Jim_T's post |  #3

that'll be it - i read that adobe RGB is better for printing and sRGB for web so changed - its been driving me crazy as it happened as i went over the 999 shot
is there any way round it other than going back to sRGB - has anyone actually noticed any difference between sRGB and RGB

My Gear: 5D mk iv, EF 24-105L, 70-300L, 100L IS Macro, 17-40L, 100-400L mkii

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,448 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 26, 2013 14:09 |  #4

I only shoot in sRGB and calibrate my monitors and printers as well this way. It's more widely used. Save yourself the hassle. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 26, 2013 14:49 |  #5

davem01 wrote in post #16401090 (external link)
that'll be it - i read that adobe RGB is better for printing and sRGB for web so changed - its been driving me crazy as it happened as i went over the 999 shot
is there any way round it other than going back to sRGB - has anyone actually noticed any difference between sRGB and RGB

I shoot pretty much everything Adobe RGB and then convert finished files to sRGB whenever necessary (which I'll grant is most of the time).

Adobe RGB captures a wider gamut. You can always reduce a copy of a file to sRGB, leaving the original file untouched.

However, although you can convert an sRGB to Adobe RGB, there wasn't as much data in the original sRGB capture and you can't add back in what wasn't there to begin with. So you can never go from an sRGB file to a truly full gamut Adobe RGB file.

I figure it's a bit of future proofing to simply capture the widest gamut possible. Sooner or later monitors and printers will be probably able to make full use of the wider gamut. Heck, if it were possible, I'd shoot one of the other color spaces that are even wider gamut than Adobe RGB. But most cameras are limited to no wider than Adobe RGB.

Also, my intent is always to sell my images for commercial purposes and Adobe RGB is prefered for CMYK printing methods that are used for many types of commercial printing methods.

But sRGB is the current standard for Internet display, non-commercial inkjet printing, and general purpose.

As to your file naming conventions... No... Sorry, but with Canon cameras there is no way to keep Adobe RGB files from using that underscore as the first character.

That doesn't bother me at all because I rename every file anyway. I use a simple date/sequence format for files and date/keyword format for folders. I could care less what file numbers my cameras come up with. More important to me, because I shoot with multiple cameras frequently, I keep them carefully time/date synced so that images can be sorted precisely in the order they were taken, no matter which camera was used.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 26, 2013 14:59 |  #6

davem01 wrote in post #16401090 (external link)

Are you shooting in jpeg only?

The colour space you assign will only affect the jpeg, if you are shooting raw it is raw, it doesn't have a colour space, so it doesn't matter which the camera is set to. You just select the colour space you want when outputting from your raw processor, and that can be adobe rgb if you are printing or srgb if for the web, just pick what you want, when you want.

However, the normal advice I see is that you should only use adobe rgb if you know exactly why you are using it, for a specific end product, otherwise stick to srgb. Most commercial printing labs want the images in srgb, and produce excellent results from such files.

sponsored links

696 views & 0 likes for this thread
Filenames on 5D3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.