Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 23 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 07:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New OS for Mac....have you updated?

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 24, 2013 20:53 |  #31

Canajun wrote in post #16396535 (external link)
I'm not as old but I was already working when Radio Shack's color computer came out.:oops:

I still have a Color Computer 3. It's been heavily modified, though. Repacked in a small tower with a SCSI interface and 80 MB (yeah, MB) hard drive, and a PC keyboard adapter connected to the serial port. I also replaced the 68B09E with a 63C09E microprocessor. It runs at a screaming fast 3 mHZ!

What's remarkable is that it can be run under emulation with MESS and it is so fast you cannot control it, so the developers provided a governor to slow it down.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sponsored links
supaman
154 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 24, 2013 21:26 |  #32

gnome chompski wrote in post #16396512 (external link)
how does your computer run with Mavericks installed? I have a late 2009 iMac, still on snow leopard.

I have not even used it yet to be honest. I also hve a 2012 mbp that Inuse most of the time. Hopefully will get to use it some this weekend and i will report back.

5Diii:Tamron 24-70 f2.8:Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,997 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 24, 2013 22:19 |  #33

I installed Mavericks on my 2010 MBP and it works great, no problems at all.

Gear
Website (external link)

shazza
483 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 25, 2013 07:15 |  #34

So far Mavericks is running well (2012 13" non-Retina MacBook Pro). It actually seems a little snappier, and I see a faster start up time.

Note - I simply upgraded through the App store, and didn't do a clean install so my comparison may not really be apples to apples for Mavericks vs. Mountain Lion.

Sharon

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 25, 2013 15:27 |  #35

i did it. took 3 hours. it was my fault though. now that its on there it works great. i especially like that all of the tool bars show up on both monitors now.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 25, 2013 18:19 |  #36

Apparently, Pages is now crap. Took a lot of features out of it. I'm not going to be using it, that's for sure.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 25, 2013 18:44 |  #37

Tony-S wrote in post #16399281 (external link)
Apparently, Pages is now crap. Took a lot of features out of it. I'm not going to be using it, that's for sure.

I don't use Pages, but is it similar to iBooks? Maybe Apple is trying to lure more people into using iBooks.

BTW I noticed my start up boot seems longer.

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 25, 2013 19:18 |  #38

Canajun wrote in post #16399318 (external link)
I don't use Pages, but is it similar to iBooks? Maybe Apple is trying to lure more people into using iBooks.

Pages is a document-centric text editing program. I use it for preparing all my letters, manuscripts and NIH grants. But now it is useless for the latter two.

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 25, 2013 19:25 |  #39

Tony-S wrote in post #16399374 (external link)
Pages is a document-centric text editing program. I use it for preparing all my letters, manuscripts and NIH grants. But now it is useless for the latter two.

sucks. I feel bad for you. sorry man :(

My Photographic Gears.

Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 26, 2013 06:25 |  #40

Installed Mavericks yesterday -- without a bootable backup, just a Time Machine backup -- and it runs cleanly.
Haven't tried the new Pages, but I'm not too worries about the changes since I got InDesign with my CC suite. (Not to start that debate...)

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

amoergosum
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 26, 2013 06:31 as a reply to  @ Corbeau's post |  #41

I just read this...WTF!?! >>>

Mavericks corrupts external hard drives!
There's one thread over at Western digitals forum, and one thread at apple discussions. Beware, mavericks kills some external hard drives. Lots of people using WD mybook studio ll have had their drives reset and lost all data.

https://discussions.ap​ple.com/message/234993​57#23499357 (external link)
http://community.wd.co​m …ook-Studio-II/td-p/602387 (external link)

Source:
http://forums.macrumor​s.com/showthread.php?t​=1660392 (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,817 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 26, 2013 13:25 |  #42

Sounds like folks do not have backups. Never a good plan for any computer, especially when doing upgrades of OS or major apps.

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 26, 2013 18:05 |  #43

amoergosum wrote in post #16400274 (external link)
I just read this...WTF!?! >>>

Source:
http://forums.macrumor​s.com/showthread.php?t​=1660392 (external link)

wow that's pretty scary. I have two 3TB myBook myself. after reading some of the links. IMO it seems the issue is with either FireWire, WD software, or RAID. I'm glad none of it applies to my configuration.

on the other hand I've disconnected both WD's until someone from WD or Apple issues an update or acknowledge this problem.

too late to go back, probably cause more troublesthan what its worth.

My Photographic Gears.

SethWilliams
128 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 26, 2013 18:54 |  #44

Hen3Ry wrote in post #16395430 (external link)
Complained too soon. The iPad is fixed. Duh. But on another front, I really, really dislike the interface. I'm going to turn 70 on my next birthday, and whoever it was that told Apple's software engineers to change the display's text to tiny and white on a gray background ought to be fired.

I changed the text on my iPhone to "Bold" and I'm really glad I did. It seems a little weird at first but once you get used to it, everything is much more readable. I hated the colors until I changed that.

5D MK II x2 | 35L f1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 135L f2

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,059 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 26, 2013 20:36 as a reply to  @ SethWilliams's post |  #45

That was fun

I backed my Mac Air up to Time Machine first. Good thing I did. Then I started the download/install, and went out for a bit. When I came back it had booted into the recovery drive; never a good sign. So I rebooted, and saw a struck-circle icon for about five seconds, then it rebooted back into the recovery drive.

So I had it restore from TM, which it spent the next hour or so doing, to a successful restore. When I restarted, I saw a struck-circle icon for about five seconds, thena struck-circle icon for about five seconds, then it rebooted back into the recovery drive. rebooted back into the recovery drive.

Hmmmm.

So I had the Recovery Assistant + Disk Assistant to try to refomat the partition. But it failed because it couldn't dismount the disk; it was running from that drive, which is where the recovery assistant lives, on its own little secret partition. And it couldn't erase it, either.

After several different types of resets, and general screwing around including Erase, Partition, etc, etc, every restart still showed a struck-circle icon for about five seconds, then rebooted back into the recovery drive.

So I messed around with the ML installer downloaded from the App store, used it to create an installer DVD, booted from it, and installed a fresh version of ML. Skipping the Time Machine step of installing apps or users, I tried to reboot from it, and saw a struck-circle icon for about five seconds, then it rebooted back into the recovery drive.

So I called AppleCare. Over the next several hours, various levels of tech support folks convinced themselves (on multiple callbacks - I was rarely on hold) that all the stuff I had already tried would't work, so the guy finally gave me a recovery assistant key combination that ensured that I would get a specific firmware upgrade when I installed over the internet.

Bingo. Up and running, finally.

Weird flaw that probably didn't happen to anyone else, but great tech support.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

sponsored links

5,900 views & 0 likes for this thread
New OS for Mac....have you updated?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.