Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 23 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 07:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New OS for Mac....have you updated?

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 26, 2013 20:56 |  #46

to chime in again, worked fine on my 2007 MacBook Pro, though the first time it seemed to do the upgrade but didn't for some reason. 2nd time it ran through and told me my HD was broken and not fixable w/o much options so I clicked install again and it worked just fine. took 30-45 min, but everything works. My Epson Artisan printer had a short hickup, I printed a photo and while it printed happily away the mac told me the printer software was installed wrong and if I want to fix it, fixed some permissions (while printing my photo...) and works fine since. LR 5.2, Photoshop CS6, OnOne photo suite works too, everything seems fine. No idea what new features I got, besides that there's now a maps module on the bottome. I use google maps, so I don't really care.

The 6 year old laptop is getting too old for my 5D3 files though, gonna get a mac mini this or next week, should be set for an other long run then.

Do backup first though! Not only with time machine, I'd recommend making a bootable backup, I use SuperDuper, other options are out there. If something goes wrong you can just boot from the external drive and restore everything to where it was.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

sponsored links
Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,059 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 26, 2013 23:38 |  #47

Tony-S wrote in post #16396948 (external link)
I still have a Color Computer 3. It's been heavily modified, though. Repacked in a small tower with a SCSI interface and 80 MB (yeah, MB) hard drive, and a PC keyboard adapter connected to the serial port. I also replaced the 68B09E with a 63C09E microprocessor. It runs at a screaming fast 3 mHZ!

What's remarkable is that it can be run under emulation with MESS and it is so fast you cannot control it, so the developers provided a governor to slow it down.

I have a Mac Plus with a Radius Accelerator, external floppy and all. 12MHz, 1MB RAM.

I think I have the OS (6.0?) on one 800K floppy, and Microsoft Word on another.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,662 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 27, 2013 17:44 |  #48

Hen3Ry wrote in post #16402072 (external link)
I have a Mac Plus with a Radius Accelerator, external floppy and all. 12MHz, 1MB RAM.

I think I have the OS (6.0?) on one 800K floppy, and Microsoft Word on another.

I still have a fleet of apple IIe's plugging along just fine. Oregon Trail FTW. :)

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

BG ­ Ed
216 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 27, 2013 17:51 |  #49

I updated to Mavericks, and I notice that when looking at RAW files in the Finder (I often use this to take a quick look at images), it takes MUCH longer to show the image as compared to Mountain Lion. Specifically, if I highlight a RAW image file name in the Finder and press the space bar to see a large preview of it, this is when it takes approximately three to six seconds for it to appear. I can't imagine that it is my laptop, because I am using a relatively new Macbook Pro with a 2.6ghz quad core processor and 16GB of RAM (seems like plenty of power). Anyone else notice a slowdown like this?

R1200GS
377 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 27, 2013 17:58 |  #50

My R1900 talks to Marericks so things are good there.

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 27, 2013 19:37 as a reply to  @ R1200GS's post |  #51

To be honest. I haven't noticed any major or critical issues since I've upgraded. But as I've mentioned earlier I've decided to offline my two WD drives for now.

Please DO share any anomalities that you have encountered.

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

amoergosum
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 28, 2013 03:11 |  #52

BG Ed wrote in post #16403744 (external link)
I updated to Mavericks, and I notice that when looking at RAW files in the Finder (I often use this to take a quick look at images), it takes MUCH longer to show the image as compared to Mountain Lion. Specifically, if I highlight a RAW image file name in the Finder and press the space bar to see a large preview of it, this is when it takes approximately three to six seconds for it to appear. I can't imagine that it is my laptop, because I am using a relatively new Macbook Pro with a 2.6ghz quad core processor and 16GB of RAM (seems like plenty of power). Anyone else notice a slowdown like this?

I can confirm this (Mac Pro 2009 & Macbook Pro 2011) .

doubledragon
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 28, 2013 17:03 |  #53

I was having trouble with one of my Lacie quadra RAID drives, and after reading a bit more on the subject, there seems to be an issue with firewire 800 connected drives. Apparently, they aren't spinning down and going to sleep like they should.

Philadelphia Wedding Photography (external link)
gear list

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 28, 2013 18:06 |  #54

doubledragon wrote in post #16406384 (external link)
I was having trouble with one of my Lacie quadra RAID drives, and after reading a bit more on the subject, there seems to be an issue with firewire 800 connected drives. Apparently, they aren't spinning down and going to sleep like they should.

Didnt notice until i read this but mine aren't shutting down either.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

Pumba
193 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 30, 2013 16:58 |  #55

doubledragon wrote in post #16406384 (external link)

Best check my G-Drive as that's connected via fw800.

Not so much hardware issues, but I'm having problems with a few websites on safari since updating,

6d, 70d, 70-300L, [COLOR="Black"]100L Macro, 40mm 2.8 STM, 580exii, 430ex and still NO idea

R1200GS
377 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 02, 2013 20:24 |  #56

V500 scanner driver for 10.9 is up on the Epson site. Link: http://www.epson.com …ted=yes&platfor​m=OSF_M_X9 (external link)

sponsored links

5,910 views & 0 likes for this thread
New OS for Mac....have you updated?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.