Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 16 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 01:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony's full-frame Alpha 7 and 7R

my ­ name ­ is ­ always ­ taken
450 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 27, 2013 02:22 |  #76

OK I was reading from this: http://www.dpreview.co​m/previews/sony-alpha-7-7r/2 (external link)
I clicked on the link above and read it there, now to start saving...

https://smithersphotog​raphy.com.au/ (external link)
clintsmithers.me (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/CSmithersPhotograph​y/ (external link)
Google+

sponsored links
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 27, 2013 05:08 |  #77

my name is always taken wrote in post #16402206 (external link)
Don't mean to be rude but where does it say bulb?
Thanks

You go into manual and set shutter speed below 30s, it turns into a B.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 27, 2013 10:30 |  #78

Has anyone figured out how to do continuous 30sec. exposures for star trails? With my Canon, I set the camera to 30 sec., continuous shooting mode and lock the shutter using the remote. How would one do this with a Sony A7????

peteg1
Goldmember
1,424 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 27, 2013 12:24 |  #79

5Dmaniac wrote in post #16402834 (external link)
Has anyone figured out how to do continuous 30sec. exposures for star trails? With my Canon, I set the camera to 30 sec., continuous shooting mode and lock the shutter using the remote. How would one do this with a Sony A7????

I believe you would lock the shutter on the remote under Bulb mode.

Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

peteg1
Goldmember
1,424 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 27, 2013 12:31 |  #80

peteg1 wrote in post #16403131 (external link)
I believe you would lock the shutter on the remote under Bulb mode.

This is not the A7/A7r but it will give you an idea how Sony does it.

http://m.youtube.com …2Fwatch%3Fv%3Du​SvEbwRvp7E (external link)

Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 27, 2013 13:10 |  #81

It actually doesn't answer the question. I know how Bulb mode works but what about continuous shooting with a locked shutter? There is no wired control for the Sony A7, the wireless control can only fire the shutter once. There is no continuous shooting available with Sony's wireless remote.

Leaving the shutter open for three hours at a time in Bulb mode increases the noise to a point that it renders the picture useless - the only solution is 30sec exposures in continuous mode.

For me this would be a showstopper for this camera, as I really like those star trail shots:-)

peteg1
Goldmember
1,424 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 27, 2013 13:33 |  #82

5Dmaniac wrote in post #16403235 (external link)
It actually doesn't answer the question. I know how Bulb mode works but what about continuous shooting with a locked shutter? There is no wired control for the Sony A7, the wireless control can only fire the shutter once. There is no continuous shooting available with Sony's wireless remote.

Leaving the shutter open for three hours at a time in Bulb mode increases the noise to a point that it renders the picture useless - the only solution is 30sec exposures in continuous mode.

For me this would be a showstopper for this camera, as I really like those star trail shots:-)

Yeah sorry about that, misunderstood what you were asking. I have no knowledge of Sony's remotes but with wireless 3rd party remotes coming you never know.

Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 27, 2013 13:55 |  #83

No reason to apologize - I appreciate you jumping in and trying to help out. I would think that with a professional camera like the A7r Sony would offer that type of remote operation - how else would you take these type of shots?

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 27, 2013 13:59 |  #84

5Dmaniac wrote in post #16403305 (external link)
No reason to apologize - I appreciate you jumping in and trying to help out. I would think that with a professional camera like the A7r Sony would offer that type of remote operation - how else would you take these type of shots?

The camera should have this capability. The best thing to do is wait till the camera releases. I want this camera too but, until I get confirmation that my 17 TS-E and 24 TS-E II will work then all I can do is play the waiting game. :)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 28, 2013 00:06 |  #85

For those of you interested. I figured out how to shoot star trails with a NEX camera. See my posts above about my dilemma.

You need to install the "Play Memories" app from the Sony store. Then you buy the Time Lapse app which will allow you to create a custom sequence - eg. 30 sec. exposure at f/5.6 , ISO 400 and then you can specify the number of shots you want to take.

The app itself costs $9.99

It'll also allow you to do time lapse videos and some other fancy stuff.

my ­ name ­ is ­ always ­ taken
450 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 28, 2013 00:38 as a reply to  @ 5Dmaniac's post |  #86

Saying to the last post about time laps, I have the app DSLR Controller and I know with my 1d mk3 I can do time laps. Works the same way you have described above.
I would like to know now if DSLR Controller s going to support this camera. I would like to hope so coz this is an app I would be using tethered or thru its WiFi/pairing function..

Does anyone have more sample pics?

https://smithersphotog​raphy.com.au/ (external link)
clintsmithers.me (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/CSmithersPhotograph​y/ (external link)
Google+

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
21,724 posts
Gallery: 1956 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 28, 2013 00:44 |  #87

Let's hope the timelapse app has been improved. I've been using on a Nex-6 for quite some time now. It is ok IF the exposure does not change during the entirety of the timelapse shoot. Why? Because the version I have sets exposure on the first shot and all consequent shots (think 300 to 400) are set the same....so no bulb ramping here and thus sun ups and sun downs always end up with a blown our portion of that 300-400 pictutes.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 28, 2013 05:44 |  #88

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #16404598 (external link)
Let's hope the timelapse app has been improved. I've been using on a Nex-6 for quite some time now. It is ok IF the exposure does not change during the entirety of the timelapse shoot. Why? Because the version I have sets exposure on the first shot and all consequent shots (think 300 to 400) are set the same....so no bulb ramping here and thus sun ups and sun downs always end up with a blown our portion of that 300-400 pictutes.

I agree, the app is VERY rudimentary and does not really offer the right tools for a photographer who knows what he/she is doing. But right now it is the ONLY way I see to do time lapse and star trail photography.

Mark0159
THREAD ­ STARTER
I say stupid things all the time
12,932 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Nov 03, 2013 01:08 |  #89

SteveHuffPhoto.com gives his views on the cameras
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=uAg3kVjv7q0#t​=798 (external link)

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

peter_n
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 03, 2013 10:52 |  #90

I was at the PhotoPlus Expo in NYC last weekend and used the A7R and was quite impressed with it. It's not that much bigger than my NEX-7 (see comparison pic A7 with a NEX-7 below) and handles really well. I'm a long-time Leica M user but I've never bought a digital Leica M because I just can't deal with the glitches and the defect rate. I've found the NEX-7 to be as bulletproof as my mechanical Leica M bodies so while I'm not an early adopter I will get an A7R and maybe the Zeiss 35/2.8 AF next year.

My use of color is mainly for family snaps and suchlike as I'm really a B&W film shooter, however this FF Sony could well make a difference. I use my Leica M lenses with a Novoflex adapter on the NEX-7 and the results are pretty incredible from an IQ perspective. What they will be like with this 36MP body is difficult to imagine.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~Peter

sponsored links

141,762 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony's full-frame Alpha 7 and 7R
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.