Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Oct 2013 (Saturday) 18:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Runway fashion show: to flash or not to flash?

D ­ 550D
404 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 26, 2013 18:07 |  #1

Hello!

I've just returned from my very first runway fashion shoot.
At the beginning of the show I was using my 430EX II pointed directly ahead with a stofen omni bounce kind of diffusor on it.
Because of this I was able to stop down to f4 and ISO 1600 which alowed for sharp shots with not a lot of noise.

However after a while another photog told me to turn the flash off since it was bothering the videographers. I did as I was told since I didn't want to be a jerk.

The no flash photos came out fine, but not nearly as good as the flash lit ones since the models' eyes were almost like black holes and I had to pump the iso to 3200.

What is the usual practice in such situations. Do you use flashes or not?

The main problem was the lightning that was coming only from above. In the bigger fasion showes there are lights coming from other directions and eliminate the dark holes in place of eyes.

http://domenulbl.blogs​pot.com/ (external link)
550D|Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art|Sigma EX 70-200 OS|Nifty Fifty|Samyang 85 1.4|430 EX II|

sponsored links
-AP-
Goldmember
2,293 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 27, 2013 14:23 |  #2

I would like to know as well... I'm attending a show tonight as a guest in the press box.. I plan in taking 580ex and some other trinkets..

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

D ­ 550D
THREAD ­ STARTER
404 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 27, 2013 15:36 |  #3

-AP- wrote in post #16403343 (external link)
I would like to know as well... I'm attending a show tonight as a guest in the press box.. I plan in taking 580ex and some other trinkets..

I did a few google searches and I think nobody uses flash at this sort of events because it bothers the subjects.

http://domenulbl.blogs​pot.com/ (external link)
550D|Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art|Sigma EX 70-200 OS|Nifty Fifty|Samyang 85 1.4|430 EX II|

-AP-
Goldmember
2,293 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 27, 2013 15:46 as a reply to  @ D 550D's post |  #4

Thanks... That does make sense...

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

doyle
21 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 28, 2013 13:28 |  #5

I've seen events where flashes were used consistently and others where not. I say it depends on the crowd and the sense through the ranks, that said, I am not a huge fan of sacrificing your quality for the sake of someone elses.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 28, 2013 19:53 |  #6

I am pretty sure flashing the models will get you arrested...

Oh...wait...

Actually, I would think in many cases flash would be discouraged, and it is up to the setup crew to make sure there is proper lighting to illuminate the models and their faces correctly, this seems like a failure of the crew to get it right if their faces were lit too strongly just from the top.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

-AP-
Goldmember
2,293 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 28, 2013 20:16 |  #7

Keyan wrote in post #16406808 (external link)
I am pretty sure flashing the models will get you arrested...

Oh...wait...

Actually, I would think in many cases flash would be discouraged, and it is up to the setup crew to make sure there is proper lighting to illuminate the models and their faces correctly, this seems like a failure of the crew to get it right if their faces were lit too strongly just from the top.

So I did the shoot and used the flash maybe on 10% of the shots. The lighting was absolutely miserable... The spot light was not bright at all and it was not even on the face of the models. It covered the body but did not hit the face. You could see the variance in my shots. I had to shoot at iso 6400 to get a ss of 500 to avoid any blurring. Overall it was not a great experience..

NYC2BGI
846 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 29, 2013 13:09 |  #8

I have done these events and it depends on the setup. Most allow for flash to be used and encourage it because they want great pictures. Only once was flash not allowed but they had set up lights.

Canon 5D3, 5D2, 40D
EF 50mm f1.4, EF 85mm f1.8,
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
http://www.facebook.co​m/HightechPix (external link)

sponsored links

2,180 views & 0 likes for this thread
Runway fashion show: to flash or not to flash?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.