Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Oct 2013 (Monday) 11:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I can't appreciate B&W photos

CanonVsNikon
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 28, 2013 15:19 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

iamascientist wrote in post #16406030 (external link)
If you don't appreciate BW as in you don't appreciate any of it period, well there's still nothing wrong with you, but I'd be almost 100% certain you have hardly any appreciation for art and no training of any kind, like the large majority of photographers.

Could be. B&W just doesn't wow me. I don't think to myself "wow, this would look great in B&W".

I guess I just can't "see" it

sponsored links
onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 28, 2013 15:21 |  #17

iamascientist wrote in post #16406030 (external link)
If you don't prefer to shoot black and white, no, there's nothing wrong with that, there's nothing wrong with you, its your decision.

If you don't appreciate BW as in you don't appreciate any of it period, well there's still nothing wrong with you, but I'd be almost 100% certain you have hardly any appreciation for art and no training of any kind, like the large majority of photographers.

I agree.

I think there is also an extraordinary amount of crap black and white photography around. A lot of people think that desaturating a photo makes it "arty", so they do it without giving any thought as to what purpose a mono conversion would serve. Not all subjects lend themselves to mono.

Personally I love black and white images. But then, I love art, and have as much appreciation for lines, perspective, form and chiaroscuro as I do for compelling subjects. In fact, for me, they often become the subject.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,755 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Oct 28, 2013 15:29 |  #18

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #16406102 (external link)
Could be. B&W just doesn't wow me. I don't think to myself "wow, this would look great in B&W".

I guess I just can't "see" it

We all have preferences and thats what makes this all so cool. I don't think that there is anything more beautiful that a wonderfully printed silver gelatin print. Well maybe a platinum print but there is something magic about the way silver reflects light back to your eye. I enjoy good color work. Elliot Porter, Meyerowitz's Cape Light, Eggelstons color work and so many more. I have been shooting strictly B&W for the past year for my personal work because it's the way I have been seeing.

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,885 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Oct 28, 2013 17:53 |  #19

I really appreciate good black and white work. However, almost all of the B&W images I like fall far outside of my genre, which is wildlife photography.

Shooting effective black & white images of wild animals in their natural surroundings is especially difficult for one primary reason: most animals and birds are colored so as to blend in to the surrounding habitat. So, for most wildlife, I could not rely on contrast between the subject's natural tone and that of it's surroundings, because the two are usually very similar. So, to make effective B&W images of my subjects, I would have to look for - and wait for - anomalies of light. This can be done, and can result in some fantastic imagery, but several days might pass by before such an anomaly occurs (with a cooperative, nearby subject). I'm not saying that this can't be done, but it would be hard to shoot prolifically if one is only doing B&W with wild subjects.

So, I'll stick to my color work for my own shooting, but I will certainly spend time online viewing and appreciating excellent B&W work, especially that which is in genres which I do not shoot, such as still life, street, and landscape photography.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 28, 2013 20:53 |  #20

^i'm going through 2 photography books right now and all the pictures are B&W, wildlife, travel and landscape
Sebastiao Salgado - Genesis
https://www.google.ca …kQ_AUoAQ&biw=11​85&bih=581 (external link)
Nick Brandt - Across the Ravaged Land
https://www.google.ca …kQ_AUoAQ&biw=11​85&bih=581 (external link)

some of the animal pictures looks staged and/or not in their natural environment, but still past the colors you can see the details on the animals, ie the lion's mane, wrinkles on an elephant and my favorite of all, their eyes
http://3.bp.blogspot.c​om …98l7Il-1JNQ/s640/lion.jpg (external link)

color is one of the first thing we will notice, most beginner photographers think that just because they got some good colors that their shot is good, this is a problem that I see a lot on landscape photography
but likewise can be said on b&w, most people think that just by converting their shots to B&W that it is street photography already

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

airfrogusmc
36,755 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 28, 2013 21:09 |  #21

One of my all time favorite photographs of deer.
http://www.jacksonfine​art.com/images/private​/largest/19.jpg (external link)

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 28, 2013 21:13 |  #22

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16407003 (external link)

Is that IR?

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,885 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Oct 28, 2013 21:29 |  #23

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16407003 (external link)

Yeah, that is a really special image. An all-white subject against a dark evergreen forest - that certainly has the makings for a great B&W wildlife image!

I have never seen a white deer in nature . . . none of the deer native to North America are white, except for the freak individual here & there. I wonder if the deer in that photo are a wild herd, or if they were specially bred in captivity to exploit a recessive gene?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

airfrogusmc
36,755 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 28, 2013 21:31 |  #24

No, just straight B&W of white deer running (Ireland IIRC and late 1960s?) with a very dark background

airfrogusmc
36,755 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 28, 2013 21:35 |  #25

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16407058 (external link)
Yeah, that is a really special image. An all-white subject against a dark evergreen forest - that certainly has the makings for a great B&W wildlife image!

I have never seen a white deer in nature . . . none of the deer native to North America are white, except for the freak individual here & there. I wonder if the deer in that photo are a wild herd, or if they were specially bred in captivity to exploit a recessive gene?

Theres a herd near Argonne National Laboratory Water Fall Glen Illinois. I don't know if they are native.

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 28, 2013 21:38 |  #26

Wow! Off topic here but Airfrogusmc, you have what I think is the highest post count of anyone I have ever seen in this forum. Never even paid much attention to that before.

Okay, back on topic... Sorry!

Edit!!!
I just did a search and see that your count is actually small compared to the top posters.

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,885 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 28, 2013 21:39 |  #27

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16407080 (external link)
Theres a herd near Argonne National Laboratory Water Fall Glen Illinois. I don't know if they are native.

I'm going to have to Google that. If they are native, and free-ranging (not fenced in), that would be worth the 4,000+ mile round trip! Even moreso if there is the possibility of photographing a mature, antlered buck.

EDIT: Whoops! They are not native deer. They are Fallow Deer, an exotic species brought in from North Africa and/or Eurasia. They are free-ranging and they could make for some wonderful B&W imagery, for anyone who enjoys photographing our non-native mammals. This sounds like an opportunity that could have some real potential. Thanks for the tip, Allen!

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 28, 2013 22:02 |  #28

I prefer color but I do like some B&W photos though if I had to choose one or the other I would choose color. One of my favorite pictures I ever took was a B&W of a girl sitting in a car at night with no lighting other than the dome light. I long ago lost the negative and the print I made but I still remember the picture. B&W and color both have their place but I still like color better.

I went to a showing of some Ansel Adams photos a few years ago and I was disappointed. There were a few really good photos but for the most part the rest just didn't do anything for me. I do appreciate how hard he had to work to get the detail and contrast in those pictures, and technically they were great, but for most of them I kept thinking "I wonder what that would look like in color".

Joe
5DIII

airfrogusmc
36,755 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 28, 2013 22:07 |  #29

RandyMN wrote in post #16407086 (external link)
Wow! Off topic here but Airfrogusmc, you have what I think is the highest post count of anyone I have ever seen in this forum. Never even paid much attention to that before.

Okay, back on topic... Sorry!

Edit!!!
I just did a search and see that your count is actually small compared to the top posters.

I spend WAY to much time here :lol::lol: Thanks for reminding me...

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 28, 2013 22:08 |  #30

Sparky98 wrote in post #16407141 (external link)
I prefer color but I do like some B&W photos though if I had to choose one or the other I would choose color. One of my favorite pictures I ever took was a B&W of a girl sitting in a car at night with no lighting other than the dome light. I long ago lost the negative and the print I made but I still remember the picture. B&W and color both have their place but I still like color better.

I went to a showing of some Ansel Adams photos a few years ago and I was disappointed. There were a few really good photos but for the most part the rest just didn't do anything for me. I do appreciate how hard he had to work to get the detail and contrast in those pictures, and technically they were great, but for most of them I kept thinking "I wonder what that would look like in color".

Oh my! I have looked at Ansel Adams prints and could not even care what they'd look like in color. Looking at his prints amazes me still, even in this day of easily made digital shots. I could never recreate what he did with film and with today's digital capabilities I would still have a difficult time. Attempting what he did with color is not relevant since his subjects made for great B&W photography.

sponsored links

13,941 views & 0 likes for this thread
I can't appreciate B&W photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.