Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 19 Oct 2013 (Saturday) 13:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another Andromeda shot

ScenicCityPhoto
285 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 19, 2013 13:20 |  #1

Well i fine tuned a lot of my gear over the last month and while the moon was waxing unfortunately I managed this shot, or shot(s) I should say.

I figured out from my first few nights of tracking that DSS COULD pull data back from ISO 800 images as dark as they were. I found that 1 minute exposures on a 400mm worked the best and so suffice to say, that will be my NEXT image. This one is ISO 1600 images. :( My fist image from a bit back was ISO 3200 images and a couple of ISO 1600 images that probably didn't help the image. I stacked several images from the last night before the moon got too high at ISO 1600 images, roughly 140 of them. I shot another 100 bias frames and another 50 or so dark frames. Around 300 I'd guess, although DSS simply merges down to one Master Dark frame so I'd guess this is a stack of around 250. I honestly don't see the need to shoot bias frames as I can say they helped the image. Maybe it will mater when I get a modded camera on my rig. I'm in the process of getting a 60d modded by Hap Griffin.

So, between this and the image I stacked with 40 frames of light, 20 bias, and 10 darks there is almost no difference save for a SMALL amount of noise. Dust lanes remain intact in both. I supposed it will matter when I print this on metal at 20x60, but for now I'm going to focus on less exposures and better drift aligning.

The next one will be 100 exposures total. ISO 800 here I come! November, when the moon is down. I'll be up!

Just reporting on progress!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Feedback #1
Feedback #2

sponsored links
Toxic ­ Coolaid
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 19, 2013 14:31 |  #2

If you don't know already DSS want all the subs to be the same ISO. IF you shoot different ISO's and want stack in DSS, each ISO need it's own Flats/Dark Flats/BIAS. I would recommend you vary the exposure length not the iso. You have to shoot Darks for each exposure length anyway, but not separate Flats/Dark Flats/BIAS if you have not changed the ISO setting. It looks like you have some good data. You may want to back off on the noise filtering, you are losing most of the details and just blurring the galaxy. Also it looks like you clipped the black point a bit. That will also make you lose some details. I've found it best to to have 1 set of lights for the galaxy and a 2nd set for the core. Then use mask layers in PS to merge them. Keep up the good work. Here is a link to maks in photoshop.

http://mophopix.smugmu​g.com …p#!i=2369435257​&k=rS8MwvG (external link)

ScenicCityPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 19, 2013 14:47 |  #3

OMG Toxic Coolaid, that is EXACTLY what I needed to see. I spent a couple of hours in PS over the last two months messing with layers and just couldn't get it to where I liked it. I can honestly say I feel very proficient in PS, but with Astrophotography it's a new ball game. Now I see I need two sets of data which never occurred to me!

And I did discover the problems with different ISOs last month. Unfortunately there were only about three days of optimal view last month. Hoping for more coming up!

Thanks again. :)

Feedback #1
Feedback #2

Toxic ­ Coolaid
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 19, 2013 18:34 |  #4

No problem. I still refer to the tutorials I have up there. It's been a bad summer for astro work, but this fall has already had several good nights to image. Been dusting the cob webs off. :)

here is a full tutorial for M31 that is very good also:
http://www.myastronomy​journal.com …AIP/C002-M31-Walkthrough/ (external link)

My latest M31:
http://astrob.in/55461​/C/ (external link)

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 19, 2013 20:53 as a reply to  @ Toxic Coolaid's post |  #5

Blurry or not that's still an amazing shot to me. The color, wow!

TC -- hey, thanks for sharing the masking link. :D

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 28, 2013 15:23 |  #6

Great shot! I'm assuming this was taken through a telescope?

I use a Kodak Brownie

ScenicCityPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 29, 2013 00:29 |  #7

Nope. It wasn't John. Just a canon 5Diii, a 400mm lens and an astrotrac on a sturdy tripod. :)

I am about to sell the astrotrac and buy a telescope though! HA! It's a gateway drug!!!

Feedback #1
Feedback #2

Miki ­ G
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 30, 2013 13:01 |  #8

Brilliant shot.

bizzmeister
35 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 01, 2013 15:54 |  #9

Amazing shot!

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,296 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 01, 2013 16:00 |  #10

ScenicCityPhoto wrote in post #16407434 (external link)
Nope. It wasn't John. Just a canon 5Diii, a 400mm lens and an astrotrac on a sturdy tripod. :)

I am about to sell the astrotrac and buy a telescope though! HA! It's a gateway drug!!!

How much does the astrotrac cost? I'm thinking of getting one.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

ScenicCityPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 02, 2013 19:49 |  #11

You can find them around $550-650 used or $750 new I believe.

I'll be selling mine in about two weeks. ;) I've got a telescope coming. :0

Feedback #1
Feedback #2

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,296 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 02, 2013 20:23 |  #12

What telescopes are you getting? I have two - a Celestron CPC1100 and a Televue TV-85 apo refractor. The Celestron is on an alt-az mount unfortunately and the Televue is on a tripod. Sometimes I wonder if I should just get an EQ mount for the TV-85 and use that delicious apo goodness with the camera at prime focus.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

ScenicCityPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 02, 2013 21:01 |  #13

I'm doing the latter of what you mentioned. I have a Sky Watcher APO 100mm Espirt & I'm ordering a Atlas AQ/EZ Pro mount probably later next week.

Was really tempted to go with the CGEM-DX but have decided with the 8/3 and cogging issue (even thought the cogging isa supposedly fixed with firmware) I would be better off with the Atlas.

Feedback #1
Feedback #2

sponsored links

2,129 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another Andromeda shot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.