Well i fine tuned a lot of my gear over the last month and while the moon was waxing unfortunately I managed this shot, or shot(s) I should say.
I figured out from my first few nights of tracking that DSS COULD pull data back from ISO 800 images as dark as they were. I found that 1 minute exposures on a 400mm worked the best and so suffice to say, that will be my NEXT image. This one is ISO 1600 images. My fist image from a bit back was ISO 3200 images and a couple of ISO 1600 images that probably didn't help the image. I stacked several images from the last night before the moon got too high at ISO 1600 images, roughly 140 of them. I shot another 100 bias frames and another 50 or so dark frames. Around 300 I'd guess, although DSS simply merges down to one Master Dark frame so I'd guess this is a stack of around 250. I honestly don't see the need to shoot bias frames as I can say they helped the image. Maybe it will mater when I get a modded camera on my rig. I'm in the process of getting a 60d modded by Hap Griffin.
So, between this and the image I stacked with 40 frames of light, 20 bias, and 10 darks there is almost no difference save for a SMALL amount of noise. Dust lanes remain intact in both. I supposed it will matter when I print this on metal at 20x60, but for now I'm going to focus on less exposures and better drift aligning.
The next one will be 100 exposures total. ISO 800 here I come! November, when the moon is down. I'll be up!
Just reporting on progress!
|IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!|
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR