Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Oct 2013 (Monday) 11:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I can't appreciate B&W photos

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,785 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Oct 29, 2013 07:13 |  #46

It should never be one VS the other. It should be about vision and the way a photographer sees. Some photographs are meant to be color and should be because color is a very important visual element. Some images should be B&W because color would either not help the image or it actually hurts the visual statement by confusing the issue. Color and B&W are just tools to be used to help a photographer to help them express their vision.

Heres a few of my images that color would only confuse the issue. Don't ask to see the color version because there isn't one.

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/L1016211_zps3ada3e30.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/L1010299_zps764b8223.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/L1015804_zps4430c30e.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/RetiredNurse.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/L1015326_zps9c74bdb0.jpg

And now for a few that I think only work in color because color was the reason I took them. Color is a very important element. These are from a window and doors series.
IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/doors%20and%20windows/151seahorsedoorsKeys06.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/doors%20and%20windows/104DooronCanyonRdSantaFe06.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/doors%20and%20windows/IMG_61732.jpg

The only time one is better than the other is for each situation and each picture. I have been seeing in B&W for the last several years now so it was a no brainer for me to buy a camera that only shoots in B&W.

sponsored links
onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 29, 2013 08:45 |  #47

tonylong wrote in post #16407604 (external link)
After all, it's not supposed to be about B&W vs color, but about the photographer, right?

I'd say it's about the photograph, period. No versus anything - an image should stand on its own.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

Yno
863 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 29, 2013 09:13 as a reply to  @ onona's post |  #48

Thank goodness we all have our own preferences, or all photography would look too similar. I shot a lot of black and white film and did all my own darkroom work, and while I certainly have seen some fine black and white photography, it just isn't my favorite at the moment. I like landscapes, and that is what I mostly shoot, and the vast majority work best in color. There are a few that do work very well in black and white, and I appreciate the fact that it is actually harder to get a great print in black and white than in color.

Back to the original poster's comment: "I usually take a cursory look at them and leave." When I go to a gallery, whether photography or paintings, I feel this way about some genres while others fascinate me. I just fall back on the old saying that I don't know much about art, but I know what I like.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

CanonVsNikon
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 29, 2013 09:52 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

Yno wrote in post #16408026 (external link)
Back to the original poster's comment: "I usually take a cursory look at them and leave." When I go to a gallery, whether photography or paintings, I feel this way about some genres while others fascinate me. I just fall back on the old saying that I don't know much about art, but I know what I like.

That's my take also

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,935 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Oct 29, 2013 11:26 |  #50

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16407805 (external link)
It should never be one VS the other. It should be about vision and the way a photographer sees. Some photographs are meant to be color and should be because color is a very important visual element. Some images should be B&W because color would either not help the image or it actually hurts the visual statement by confusing the issue. Color and B&W are just tools to be used to help a photographer to help them express their vision.

And now for a few that I think only work in color because color was the reason I took them. Color is a very important element. These are from a window and doors series.

The only time one is better than the other is for each situation and each picture. I have been seeing in B&W for the last several years now so it was a no brainer for me to buy a camera that only shoots in B&W.

Allen,

I really appreciate your balanced approach to this issue. I don't think anyone could sum it up better than you did in the above comments. And, I must say, I was surprised (and pleased) to see some color work from you!

And by the way, that first color example is stunning . . . when I scrolled down and saw it, I just stared at my screen for several minutes . . . and that rarely happens. I have a real appreciation for the artist/craftsman who created those seahorse door details. Do you know anything of their age and/or history?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

airfrogusmc
36,785 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 29, 2013 11:53 |  #51

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16408319 (external link)
Allen,

I really appreciate your balanced approach to this issue. I don't think anyone could sum it up better than you did in the above comments. And, I must say, I was surprised (and pleased) to see some color work from you!

And by the way, that first color example is stunning . . . when I scrolled down and saw it, I just stared at my screen for several minutes . . . and that rarely happens. I have a real appreciation for the artist/craftsman who created those seahorse door details. Do you know anything of their age and/or history?

Thanks Tom and I don't know much about it. It was the door on an old long gone seafood restaurant in Key West. It is now something else and has been cleaned up and doesn't look anything like this now. The glass is still there but it has none of this look. I think the glass was replaced with clear glass? Maybe someone from Key West could chime in?

sjones
Goldmember
2,244 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 29, 2013 12:08 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #52

While black & white is core to my photography (as mentioned earlier), I'm finding it difficult to really expand on this topic, because so much of it is simply preference.

I can't appreciate broccoli; I can't appreciate the color green; I can't appreciate T. Swift; and so on.

How to really respond beyond, "OK, different drummers, and all."

So I'll just note why I appreciate black and white. Tonality, illumination, contrast, shadow, light, and form.

Even with color paintings, I'm typically more drawn to watercolor and woodblock (ukiyo-e) prints because of the subtle tonal gradations produced...and this attraction occurred well before I was into photography.

In photography, Meyerowitz's Cape Cod series exemplifies the use of muted colors to retain the graceful tonal transitions that I admire.

Actually, when I started this hobby seriously, I figured about an 80-20 split between color and monochrome, respectively.

Yet, within three months, I decided no more color; and I haven't changed since.

For one thing, I enjoy working with B&W more than with color, but more over, it just fits my direction.

I don't go out looking for what would be better in color, what would be better in B&W. I just go out looking for visual situations that compel me to press the shutter.

No regrets for my "limitations."

To be sure, many times, it is not a matter of B&W or color, as for decades, there really wasn't much choice, and even US newspapers kept it monochrome until, I believe, USA Today shook some stuff up.

And again, I can appreciate color, and for those serious about it, I would definitely explore the works of Ernst Haas, Alex Webb, Saul Leiter, Martin Parr, Eggleston, and Meyerowitz. Not every one of their photos is a revelation, of course, but you can discern useful patterns and application.

Anyway, the majority of my favorite photographers mostly shoot black & white, and if I was denied the option for my own shooting, I would bail out of photography altogether.

July 2019-July 2020 (external link)
Just glad not to be blinded by myopic pedantry.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,984 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 29, 2013 13:57 |  #53

something I shot Friday: https://photography-on-the.net …p=16407599&post​count=5858

everything in moderation....

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Gallery: 2123 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 29, 2013 18:16 |  #54

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16407805 (external link)

Heres a few of my images that color would only confuse the issue. Don't ask to see the color version because there isn't one.
QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Love every image...............es​pecially the nurse...............if that wasn't solely made for B&W, nothing was

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

airfrogusmc
36,785 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 29, 2013 18:48 |  #55

Thank you!!!!!

lilkngster
727 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 29, 2013 19:11 |  #56

bidkev wrote in post #16409324 (external link)
Love every image...............es​pecially the nurse...............if that wasn't solely made for B&W, nothing was

Me too, I keep going back to that one!

6dII/1dIII|Bronica Sq-Ai/EOS 3/A1

airfrogusmc
36,785 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 29, 2013 22:10 |  #57

Thanks guys....

smallpotatoes
883 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 30, 2013 00:22 |  #58

Wilt wrote in post #16407195 (external link)
He's small potatoes, so no point in giving him a fat head. ;)

Wait a minute. If he's small potatoes, then who am I?  :p

Jaci

Canon 90D, 100mm f/2.8 macro, 55-250 IS, 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, 430EX, Raynox DCR 150

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
5,152 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 30, 2013 00:42 |  #59

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #16405530 (external link)
Whenever someone posts a B&W vs color version of same photo I always prefer the color one. It's just me.

Same here. I've seen great B&W photos but they just don't resonate with me.
I especially don't like wedding photos in B&W. They seem so lifeless.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 30, 2013 01:18 |  #60

I usually only do B&W if I flub the white balance and for whatever reason can't correct it or I'm simply bored.

Beyond that, I see in color so I shoot and process in color.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links

13,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
I can't appreciate B&W photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.