Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 16:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Physical Portfolio

mkrogemann
138 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 24, 2013 16:32 |  #1

Is anyone still using a legitimate physical portfolio? ... and if you're in the Seattle area I would love to get together and discuss face-to-face.

I ask not because I think digital portfolios are not useful, rather I have an assignment for my portfolio exploration class to examine the physical portfolio of a working pro (or at least be able to walk into a photographers studio and discuss the aspects of a printed portfolio.

I would love any feedback and thoughts you all have on the relevance of a physical portfolio, especially in the retail market (seniors, weddings, families, etc...) I understand commercial photography is different ballpark and client interaction/expectatio​n is and should be very different.

5D MkIII (Grip) - 7D - 5D Classic (Gripped) 35L:24-70L:135L -- 85 1.8 -- 50 1.4 and a Partridge in a Pear Tree
FACEBOOK (external link)

sponsored links
Cuechick
42 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 24, 2013 16:56 |  #2

I am a commercial photographer and yes I still use a physical book, though far less than I use too...
I have one and my rep has two. I use blurb books and when I meet in person with a creative, I supplement it with my iPad.
This works very well and the creatives I think really appreciate the seeing work printed.

Here is a post I did for my blog on the subject that may be helpful: http://www.piewacketbl​og.com …/2011/6/15/evol​ution.html (external link)

brianodom
672 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 24, 2013 17:06 as a reply to  @ Cuechick's post |  #3

I do especially for weddings and senior sessions

Canon EOS 5DsR - 6D - 70D|Canon 17-40L|Σ 35mm 1.4|Tammy 24-70 |Σ 70-200 2.8 and 35mm Art
YONGNUO YN 568 Speedlight X3|
Portfolio: web: www.mattodomphotograph​y.com + Instagram:www.instagra​m.com/mattodomphoto/ + FB: Matt Odom Photography

mkrogemann
THREAD ­ STARTER
138 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 25, 2013 02:19 |  #4

Cuechick wrote in post #16396429 (external link)
I am a commercial photographer and yes I still use a physical book, though far less than I use too...
I have one and my rep has two. I use blurb books and when I meet in person with a creative, I supplement it with my iPad.
This works very well and the creatives I think really appreciate the seeing work printed.

Here is a post I did for my blog on the subject that may be helpful: http://www.piewacketbl​og.com …/2011/6/15/evol​ution.html (external link)

For commercial that is about what I would expect. I like the blurb books. Very good idea to supplement with the iPad. I'm deciding on whether to go with an iPad Air or the new Mini w/retina this year for both as a portfolio tool, and as a mobile CC machine as well (with square)

brianodom wrote in post #16396450 (external link)
I do especially for weddings and senior sessions

What type of printed portfolio do you use? Big/Small/modern?Leath​er bound?

5D MkIII (Grip) - 7D - 5D Classic (Gripped) 35L:24-70L:135L -- 85 1.8 -- 50 1.4 and a Partridge in a Pear Tree
FACEBOOK (external link)

1000WordsPhotography
518 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 25, 2013 08:38 |  #5

I just printed a physical book for weddings and couples work. I was swayed by Zack Arias book to do so.

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 25, 2013 12:37 as a reply to  @ 1000WordsPhotography's post |  #6

Still using a 'physical' book here, in addition to a pdf and ipad portfolio. Very few calls these days for the physical book to be sent...but it does happen. I use Pinhole Press and print a hardcover book with a leather binding, a few times a year as I add new images. 20 or so pages, reasonably priced and printed quickly. I will also print on occasion a very specific targeted book to send off to someone in advance of my rep calling on them.

It's so much easier imo than the 'old days' of lab printing images, or cutting mattes for transparencies...and like others here have gone through dozens of different types of presentation styles over the years.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,928 posts
Gallery: 168 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Oct 25, 2013 13:18 |  #7

I do commercial advertising (no wedding or family portraits) and still use a physical book though I haven't had to show it in a couple of years and only had to bid on two jobs all of this past year. Usually it's just a call or e-mail to see if I'm available and a lot of the times if I'm not they arrange around my schedule.

I will also customize and e-mail a sample tailored or print and mail something like this.

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/ads/Promo_zps74a71eac.jpg

mkrogemann
THREAD ­ STARTER
138 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 25, 2013 13:45 |  #8

1000WordsPhotography wrote in post #16397862 (external link)
I just printed a physical book for weddings and couples work. I was swayed by Zack Arias book to do so.

What were you using prior to the physical book? Digital gallery only?

Foodguy wrote in post #16398447 (external link)
Still using a 'physical' book here, in addition to a pdf and ipad portfolio. Very few calls these days for the physical book to be sent...but it does happen. I use Pinhole Press and print a hardcover book with a leather binding, a few times a year as I add new images. 20 or so pages, reasonably priced and printed quickly. I will also print on occasion a very specific targeted book to send off to someone in advance of my rep calling on them.

It's so much easier imo than the 'old days' of lab printing images, or cutting mattes for transparencies...and like others here have gone through dozens of different types of presentation styles over the years.

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16398543 (external link)
I do commercial advertising (no wedding or family portraits) and still use a physical book though I haven't had to show it in a couple of years and only had to bid on two jobs all of this past year. Usually it's just a call or e-mail to see if I'm available and a lot of the times if I'm not they arrange around my schedule.

I will also customize and e-mail a sample tailored or print and mail something like this.
QUOTED IMAGE

Thank you both for the insight on the commercial side of things. Although that is not where my business plan lies right now, it is an avenue that I would like to explore in the future.

FACEBOOK (external link)

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 28, 2013 20:25 |  #9

Yes. For wedding consults I print 11x14 images on card. Normally from last three weddings. I show te client. There is a lot more to my meeting but I know k am the only local photog that does this. I have booked every meeting in person but one time. People still love to see prints.

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 29, 2013 21:31 |  #10

I still have my physical books. They are rather dusty, a few cobwebs, etc. Like film, in the commercial world they are quickly becoming a thing of the past. I would look forward, and see what creative ways you can showcase your work digitally.

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

sponsored links

2,404 views & 0 likes for this thread
Physical Portfolio
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.