Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 09:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I never use Shutter Priority (Tv). Am I weird?

facedodge
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 30, 2013 09:07 |  #1

I use Aperture Priority most of the time. If I'm not using Av, I'm using Manual.

From looking at some of the older film cameras like the shutter priority came before aperture priority. The Canon AE1 came out before the AE1 Program right? I know a lot of people use it, but I don't understand why.

To me, the choice between f/4 & 1/125 or f/2.8 and 1/250 comes down to f/4 or f/2.8.

Even when shooting action, I use Av. I set it to 2.8 and adjust the ISO until I know the shutter speed will stay at or over 1/1000. Is this backwards? Say I use Tv and set it to 1/1000 and ISO 800 is giving me f/2.8 when I point it at the field. If the sun creeps down, won't I get underexposed shots? I'd rather shoot at 1/500 than have the shot a stop under. If the sun creeps out, it might go to f/4 and I would have rather had f/2.8 and 1/2000 for subject isolation.

If I'm shooting a wedding and I want to drag the shutter, I'm probably in manual mode.

Who shoots Tv? Please explain to me why I should reconsider. I feel like I am not taking advantage of a resource my camera is offering me.

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 30, 2013 09:11 |  #2

i just typed this in for the "semi beginner" thread.

The most important thing is to get the shot. After that, the rest is up to you.

I use manual most often, followed by manual with auto ISO.

Av mode is next because i'm often interested in separating the subject from the background and/or achieving just enough DOF to capture the subject. This mode works best when there is enough light to assure your shutter speed stays up.

I use Tv when photographing moving objects in varying light conditions. For instance sports or kids playing. You can dial in the right SS to stop action or give just enough blur to convey movement in the shot.

Although there are options to limit how much the camera changes the settins, I don't like having more than one variable left to the camera at one time.

your method of bumping the ISO might unnecessarily, have a negative impact on image quality

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

TTUShooter
378 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 30, 2013 09:13 |  #3

I rarely use shutter priority mode either. But I generally never shoot action/sports. I can see the Usefulness of it in that scenario.

Cameras: EOS 7d mark II, Fuji X100F, Leica M8, Leica M2-R,
Lenses: A Whole mess of them.
My flickr (external link)

Bonbridge
Goldmember
1,263 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 30, 2013 09:18 |  #4

I never use it too just like AUTO ISO. And I think if I where a sports shooter I still didn't use it much.

I always use AV except when I use flashes, or do long exposures.

AV: 75%
M: 22%
B: 3%

5DII + 6D | 16-35/4.0L IS | Σ35/1.4A | 40/2.8 | Σ85/1.4A | 85/1.2L II | 70-200/2.8L IS II
iMac Retina 5k | i7 | 24Gb RAM | 512GB Flash | 4GB M295X

Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

facedodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 30, 2013 09:22 |  #5

I probably should be using manual mode more often. I used to use it exclusively until I read some post here about chasing the needle. I usually don't think about it often enough. I'm equally comfortable with both modes.

I'm sure there would be just as many half stop over/under exposed shots here and there using both modes, just for different reasons.

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 30, 2013 09:38 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

facedodge wrote in post #16410630 (external link)
I use Aperture Priority most of the time. If I'm not using Av, I'm using Manual.

From looking at some of the older film cameras like the shutter priority came before aperture priority. The Canon AE1 came out before the AE1 Program right? I know a lot of people use it, but I don't understand why.

To me, the choice between f/4 & 1/125 or f/2.8 and 1/250 comes down to f/4 or f/2.8.

Even when shooting action, I use Av. I set it to 2.8 and adjust the ISO until I know the shutter speed will stay at or over 1/1000. Is this backwards? Say I use Tv and set it to 1/1000 and ISO 800 is giving me f/2.8 when I point it at the field. If the sun creeps down, won't I get underexposed shots? I'd rather shoot at 1/500 than have the shot a stop under. If the sun creeps out, it might go to f/4 and I would have rather had f/2.8 and 1/2000 for subject isolation.

If I'm shooting a wedding and I want to drag the shutter, I'm probably in manual mode.

Who shoots Tv? Please explain to me why I should reconsider. I feel like I am not taking advantage of a resource my camera is offering me.

It's not weird, it's probably not conducive towards your photography

I've used all of the modes (apart from the "creative" modes), that is M, Bulb, Av, Tv and P

My current mode is M, but use Bulb for firework photography

steelbluesleepr
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 30, 2013 10:11 as a reply to  @ RichSoansPhotos's post |  #7

I never use shutter priority either; I'm always in Aperture Priority or Manual.

-Jayson- my flickr (external link)
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 30, 2013 10:33 |  #8

hes gone wrote in post #16410639 (external link)
=he's gone;16410639]i just typed this in for the "semi beginner" thread.

your method of bumping the ISO might unnecessarily, have a negative impact on image quality

The problem with this is that in sports you want to isolate the player (thus shooting at the widest aperture you can). Shooting in TV will vary that aperture making your backgrounds unpredictable.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 30, 2013 13:22 |  #9

xchangx wrote in post #16410800 (external link)
The problem with this is that in sports you want to isolate the player (thus shooting at the widest aperture you can). Shooting in TV will vary that aperture making your backgrounds unpredictable.

while all of this is debatable, i started off the comment by saying that the most important thing is to get the shot. Too much concern over DOF or noise or motion blur is going to do nothing but make you miss the shot.

I just flipped through SI's 100 greatest sports photos

http://sportsillustrat​ed.cnn.com …otos-of-all-time-final/1/ (external link)

many of the shots show large DOF, many of the shots are not even on the field of play. Most of the wide basketball shots under the net show HUGE DOF. You're also not going to isolate anyone in a pile of linemen with thin DOF.

Subject isolation can also be done without thin DOF. For instance, with anticipating the shot and great framing, or with contrast between tones or hues of the main subject and the rest of the shot.

even in Tv mode you should set your ISO to a point that gives you a +/- 1 stop range of aperture that you want to achieve. but again, it's all subjective.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

ejenner
Goldmember
3,806 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 30, 2013 17:25 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #10

I never use Tv either and do the same thing for sports in mixed lighting - use Av and make sure my ISO is high enough. If I need that much control over the SS I use M. If I'm at ISO 3200 or 6400, chances are I'm close to maxing out, so I'm likely to be in M.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 30, 2013 19:28 |  #11

There are pretty much two ways to shoot anything. Manual and some kind of auto metered mode.

I use manual exposure most of the time. When the light levels are changing I will use an auto metered mode. Then you think....which one?

Biggest problem with Canon is that they seem to think we still have film cameras. This is kind of stupid, but nevertheless we actually have three variables to control the exposure. So there should be (kind of are) three auto metered modes.
Av - you pick the aperture and ISO, camera picks the shutter speed.
Tv - you pick the shutter and ISO, camera picks the aperture.
M + auto ISO - you pick aperture and shutter, camera picks the ISO.

For the vast majority of what I expect most people shoot, aperture and shutter speed are more important to the final image than the ISO. So M + auto ISO is the best auto metered mode. It just kind of sucks that Canon doesn't give us exposure compensation or functionality with flash in this mode.

I can also show you that if your goal is to achieve the lowest possible ISO for every shot in changing light, then M + auto ISO is the best approach.

Personally.....I pretty much never use Av or Tv, and I certainly never use P. I use M mode, and if the light is changing then I enable auto ISO as the auto exposure mode of choice. I can hardly think of scenarios where Av or Tv are better.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

PMGphotog
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 30, 2013 19:46 |  #12

When I do street photography I use Aperture priority and set my ISO to 400 or 800 depending ( even in the Summer in Glasgow..) on what the day looks like. I allows me to think of the composition and what I'm trying to make as a photograph instead of other stuff.

What little sports stuff I've done Shutter speed was more important to stop the action so I used that.

For live bands I used to juggle between both, but now I tend to practice in Manual with the support acts and this helps when the main band come on. ( usually they have better lighting and I can adjust from shot to shot ) and then I have an idea how to expose in Manual when I need to get a certain shot.

I suppose everyone does it differently depending on what kind of photograph you are trying to make. The main thing for me is when I have some shots that require less fixing after the fact in Lightroom.

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/ (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 30, 2013 19:48 |  #13

I actually am an engineer that works a lot in the realm of controls theory. I think for a lot of photographers it is kind of hard to understand why you want the variable that you want to be the lowest to function as the dependent variable. Let's try an example.

Suppose you are shooting a soccer game with an f/5.6 telephoto zoom. You want to maintain 1/1000 as an absolute floor in order to freeze action. The day is highly variable for clouds, with exposures running from EV13 (ISO 400 at f/5.6 and 1/1000) to EV10 (ISO 3200 at f/5.6 and 1/1000).

You love ISO400, but you are not so keen on ISO 3200 because it is kind of noisy. How would we shoot this soccer game using Av, Tv or M+auto ISO?

Let's try Tv. We know 1/1000 is our floor so lets set that. Now, what do we pick for ISO. Can we pick ISO 400?

The answer is NO! If we select ISO 400 then everything is fine when the sun is out, but as soon as a cloud passes, the camera cannot open up the lens beyond f/5.6 and so it just starts underexposing. That is not better than using a higher ISO.

What we actually need to do is select ISO 3200....protecting for the worst case. Now the camera will shoot f/5.6, 1/1000 and ISO 3200 when cloudy and it will use f/16, 1/1000 and ISO 3200 when it is sunny. But that is stupid.....we do not want a tiny aperture and high ISO in good light.

How about Av? Not much better. We select f/5.6 but again we are stuck picking ISO 3200. If we select ISO 400 for the good light, then every time a cloud passes we are going to dip well below our 1/1000 shutter speed minimum.

The real lesson here is that in Av and Tv modes, you have to pick the ISO value that works for your worst case lighting. So every single shot will be taken at the ISO you need for the worst lighting, and you will throw away aperture or shutter speed when the light is better than the worst case.

M + auto ISO means you set the key variables to what you can live with and every shot gets the right (lowest possible) ISO for whatever the light is doing at that moment.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,945 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 30, 2013 19:51 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #14

TV is a great tool to use. I use it all the time. If your shooting sports you will use it a bunch especially in changing light. Lots of great things you can do with motorsports and shutter speeds. TV is your friend. Learn to use it to your advantage.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 30, 2013 20:17 |  #15

hes gone wrote in post #16411188 (external link)
=he's gone;16411188]while all of this is debatable, i started off the comment by saying that the most important thing is to get the shot. Too much concern over DOF or noise or motion blur is going to do nothing but make you miss the shot.

I just flipped through SI's 100 greatest sports photos

http://sportsillustrat​ed.cnn.com …otos-of-all-time-final/1/ (external link)

many of the shots show large DOF, many of the shots are not even on the field of play. Most of the wide basketball shots under the net show HUGE DOF. You're also not going to isolate anyone in a pile of linemen with thin DOF.

Subject isolation can also be done without thin DOF. For instance, with anticipating the shot and great framing, or with contrast between tones or hues of the main subject and the rest of the shot.

even in Tv mode you should set your ISO to a point that gives you a +/- 1 stop range of aperture that you want to achieve. but again, it's all subjective.

Yes, most wide shots will have a large DOF. That's the nature of wide angle. If I shoot remotes and have no control over AF, then I will set the camera to f4 and not 2.8, but in Manual.

As for narrow DOF, I've never had issues shooting at 2.8 with my 400 or f4 with a 600. Both I shoot wide open.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

sponsored links

2,970 views & 0 likes for this thread
I never use Shutter Priority (Tv). Am I weird?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.