Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Oct 2013 (Monday) 11:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buff Beauty Dish Tilt Range

Louis ­ solomon
68 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 28, 2013 11:45 |  #1

After advice from you guys and extensive research on the Buff BD vs. Kacey BD comparison, I’ve decided to go with the Buff product. It better fits my budget and will suffice for the limited usage I plan for it. However, there is one function I don’t quite understand.
I read somewhere that the rear flat surface of the Buff BD limits its range of motion when mounted on a standard light stand. I want to be able to tilt the dish to at least a 45 degree angle. Will I be able to accomplish this? I have the AB800.
Thanks.

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,120 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 28, 2013 11:59 |  #2

The beauty dish tilt is limited with a stand. But Buff has an accessory for this very problem.

http://www.paulcbuff.c​om/mba.php (external link)

Louis ­ solomon
THREAD ­ STARTER
68 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 28, 2013 12:08 |  #3

Thanks gonzogolf. In reviewing the link, the "Features" tab does in fact mention that the mini boom arm will resolve the problem but the "Compatibility/Recomme​nded Accessories" tab has a special note that this arm will not accomplish my requirement with an Alien Bee (I have the AB800).

Can you recommend a third party solution?

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 28, 2013 12:11 |  #4

gonzogolf wrote in post #16405565 (external link)
The beauty dish tilt is limited with a stand. But Buff has an accessory for this very problem.

It's hilarious how they used those pictures with the dish pointed the wrong way to demonstrated the mini boom arm. Whoever set that up must not have known how to use the arm with a dish, huh? :)

...Leo

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,120 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 28, 2013 12:15 |  #5

Louis solomon wrote in post #16405589 (external link)
Thanks gonzogolf. In reviewing the link, the "Features" tab does in fact mention that the mini boom arm will resolve the problem but the "Compatibility/Recomme​nded Accessories" tab has a special note that this arm will not accomplish my requirement with an Alien Bee (I have the AB800).

Can you recommend a third party solution?

The other option would be to get a boom arm, or perhaps a boom stand. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …and_Reflector_H​older.html (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,069 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 28, 2013 12:29 |  #6

PacAce wrote in post #16405597 (external link)
It's hilarious how they used those pictures with the dish pointed the wrong way to demonstrated the mini boom arm. Whoever set that up must not have known how to use the arm with a dish, huh? :)

Leo,
For whatever reason they are illustrating the mini boom with the focusing reflector not a beauty dish.

I have 6 or 7 Mini booms. In addition to adding tilt-ability for beauty dishes. They are great for adding tilt-ability with umbrella frame soft boxes such as Westcott Apollo.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 28, 2013 12:37 |  #7

dmward wrote in post #16405635 (external link)
Leo,
For whatever reason they are illustrating the mini boom with the focusing reflector not a beauty dish.

I have 6 or 7 Mini booms. In addition to adding tilt-ability for beauty dishes. They are great for adding tilt-ability with umbrella frame soft boxes such as Westcott Apollo.

But it's still pointed the "wrong way", no?

The mini boom arm look like it does a great job of giving you that downward angle you need to point a BD downward so I wasn't commenting against it. I just found their demo picture to be funny. ;)

...Leo

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 28, 2013 13:00 |  #8

gonzogolf wrote in post #16405565 (external link)

Just as an FYI, the following is noted in teh Compatibility/Recomman​ded Accessories tab on that web page:

Note on AlienBees™ and Beauty Dishes: With the location of the mounting block on AlienBees™ flash units and the flat rear surface of the 22HOBD and 22HOBD-W beauty dishes, there is not any additional range of motion gained when using these two products together.

So it looks like the mini boom arm will NOT work with an B800 and the Buff BD, no?

...Leo

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,120 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 28, 2013 13:47 |  #9

PacAce wrote in post #16405719 (external link)
Just as an FYI, the following is noted in teh Compatibility/Recomman​ded Accessories tab on that web page:

So it looks like the mini boom arm will NOT work with an B800 and the Buff BD, no?

I guess the bend in the arm prohibits the dish from tilting.

ramair455
119 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 28, 2013 14:06 |  #10

PacAce wrote in post #16405663 (external link)
But it's still pointed the "wrong way", no?

The mini boom arm look like it does a great job of giving you that downward angle you need to point a BD downward so I wasn't commenting against it. I just found their demo picture to be funny. ;)

That isnt a BD that is shown, but PB laser reflector...that has special powers :)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,069 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 28, 2013 22:05 |  #11

gonzogolf wrote in post #16405849 (external link)
I guess the bend in the arm prohibits the dish from tilting.

The note on the Buff site says "no additional benefit". The light and modifier will tilt sufficiently without the mini apparently.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

cabinajm
812 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 30, 2013 12:22 |  #12

The boom arm works fine with the BD and AB strobes. don't know what they are talking about. I've got them and use it regularly.

-Chris
A couple Canons, a flash, a bunch of lenses and LIGHTS!
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

SamFrench
870 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 30, 2013 21:28 |  #13

PacAce wrote in post #16405597 (external link)

Actually it's not hilarious - since the photo is not a beauty dish on the mini boom arm. The photo does correctly show how the reflector in the photo is used. It is a cool modifier.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 30, 2013 21:39 |  #14

SamFrench wrote in post #16412287 (external link)
Actually it's not hilarious - since the photo is not a beauty dish on the mini boom arm. The photo does correctly show how the reflector in the photo is used. It is a cool modifier.

Really? I would have thought that the reflector would normally be used the way it is shown below and NOT with the silver part of it pointed upward.

http://www.paulcbuff.c​om …a/mba_retrolase​r_0111.php (external link)

If the reflector is correctly used pointed upward, then what are you lighting with it? :confused:

...Leo

ramair455
119 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 31, 2013 00:20 |  #15

PacAce wrote in post #16412311 (external link)
Really? I would have thought that the reflector would normally be used the way it is shown below and NOT with the silver part of it pointed upward.

http://www.paulcbuff.c​om …a/mba_retrolase​r_0111.php (external link)

If the reflector is correctly used pointed upward, then what are you lighting with it? :confused:

it's bounced light dish reflector...use like an umbrella

sponsored links

4,589 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buff Beauty Dish Tilt Range
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.