Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Oct 2013 (Tuesday) 13:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Rebel XS/1000D vs Nikon D80

jcwillia1
136 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 29, 2013 13:18 |  #1

My wife and I were in the Smoky Mountains this past weekend and my FIL was kind enough to let us borrow his Nikon D80 and 18-105 4.0 lens.

I looked up the stats of the camera and found that it wasn't that different from my Rebel XS and yet I was consistently disappointed with A-B comparisons between my Rebel XS w 18-55 kit lens and his Nikon. My images were frequently blurry, or not entirely in focus while the Nikon's images were almost always crystal sharp. My one beef with the Nikon is that is drastically overexposed face portrait pictures.

Am I crazy? Is something wrong with my camera? I know his lens is nicer than mine but I wouldn't expect that to have anything to do with focus or sharpness because that's a calculated value from the camera body.

I've been thinking of upgrading to a T4i but after this weekend, I'm questioning whether I should be using a Canon at all.

Newbie || Rebel XS || EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 29, 2013 13:35 |  #2

Not enough info/samples. There's nothing about the D80 that would inherently create better images, so it likely comes down to settings and usage.

Rebel XS has a very sharp sensor and the 18-55 is reasonably good, so it's probably something you are(or are not) doing.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

jcwillia1
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 29, 2013 14:38 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #3

I respect your informed opinions but running both on the landscape "auto" setting, the Nikon was just better shot for shot.

I'm sure that if I shot every single photograph manually and with a tripod I could get the results I want but for point and shoot type shots, the Canon is proving difficult to use.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 29, 2013 14:41 |  #4

jcwillia1 wrote in post #16408816 (external link)
....... but for point and shoot type shots, the Canon is proving difficult to use.

Based on this one single instance.

Taylor

jcwillia1
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 29, 2013 14:42 |  #5

I appreciate your expertise but I feel like your just arguing with my impressions.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 29, 2013 14:51 |  #6

jcwillia1 wrote in post #16408824 (external link)
I appreciate your expertise but I feel like your just arguing with my impressions.

How did you want the discussion to go? Nikon is definitely better, always?

Without samples and settings used, it's just one guys opinion of a single weekend.

Taylor

I ­ weston ­ I
334 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 29, 2013 14:59 |  #7

sounds like the main difference is the photographer

Nikon D7000, Nikon D3100 18-105mm VR, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 70-300mm VR

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,105 posts
Gallery: 2072 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 29, 2013 15:09 |  #8

I would have said - Different not better or worse just a different apperance from a nikon and a canon, im discovering this with my D200 the pics from it have a different look to my 30D - more clinical from my nikon and more treacle-ated from my old 30D(like a thicker color).

P.

Some stuff.

qdrummer21
121 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 29, 2013 16:10 |  #9

Were you shooting .jpg or .raw?

If .jpg did you have all of the in-camera post processing options enabled on both cameras? Without all of the details on how the cameras were setup its hard to say what the cause is. Is it possible that with all the same settings, with the types of photos you were taking, using in camera processing that the Nikon gives you photos that look better acording to your personal preferences... ..absolutely.

I'd be interested to see some examples of each. Generally when I hear someone outright say the photos are blurry, that usually is a dramatic problem and the result of something other than the quality of the camera model.

jcwillia1
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 30, 2013 07:56 |  #10

ok guys thanks for insulting me. I'll just go elsewhere. I've come to expect better from this community.

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,506 posts
Gallery: 665 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 30, 2013 10:02 as a reply to  @ jcwillia1's post |  #11

:rolleyes:

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 30, 2013 10:25 as a reply to  @ jcwillia1's post |  #12

[QUOTE=jcwillia1;16408​592].....

Am I crazy? Is something wrong with my camera? I know his lens is nicer than mine but I wouldn't expect that to have anything to do with focus or sharpness because that's a calculated value from the camera body.

jcwillia1 wrote in post #16408816 (external link)
I respect your informed opinions but running both on the landscape "auto" setting, the Nikon was just better shot for shot.

With respect to your first statement about the lens, I'm not sure what your trying to say but I'm pretty sure your wrong. ;) There is no "calculated value" in a camera body that determines the quality of your pictures.The quality of the lens plays a big role in the sharpness of the images. So a better lens on the Nikon than you have on your XS will probably result in sharper pictures.

I see you are using Landscape AUTO mode for emulating a point and shoot. There are three problems with expecting sharp, properly exposed shots using that mode:

1 - You are letting the camera choose how to expose the image and what to focus on.

2 - You are letting the camera software develop the image and choose the contrast, saturation etc settings for you.

3 - The camera is saving the results in a .jpg file which diminishes the amount you can tweak the image afterwards in post processing.

Hope this helps

Added later: The other point I wanted to make is that in making this comparison using AUTO modes your actually comparing the cameras developing process rather than its actual ability to take great pictures. The comparison would be better if you used RAW images for the comparison then you could apply exactly the same changes to each in post processing.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 30, 2013 10:46 as a reply to  @ WaltA's post |  #13

jcwillia1 wrote in post #16408592 (external link)
Added later: The other point I wanted to make is that in making this comparison using AUTO modes your actually comparing the cameras developing process rather than its actual ability to take great pictures. The comparison would be better if you used RAW images for the comparison then you could apply exactly the same changes to each in post processing.

This. In auto, you're basically letting the camera's pick some random settings.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 30, 2013 12:22 |  #14

jcwillia1 wrote in post #16410497 (external link)
ok guys thanks for insulting me. I'll just go elsewhere. I've come to expect better from this community.

Insult = asking for more information or actual comparison photos?

Taylor

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 30, 2013 15:42 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

My only conclusion is operator error or you have a bad XS

sponsored links

1,937 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Rebel XS/1000D vs Nikon D80
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.