Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 26 Oct 2013 (Saturday) 10:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mavericks corrupts external hard drives!

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,164 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 30, 2013 23:22 |  #16

SethWilliams wrote in post #16401614 (external link)
I haven't had any problems with my Seagate containing all of my Time Machine backups.

My Seagate (connected to the Time Capsule) will not mount. Downloaded the newest Seagate software and will try to figure it out soon.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
amoergosum
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 31, 2013 01:31 as a reply to  @ FarmerTed1971's post |  #17

So WD sent out an email to their registered customers. Of course this message can't be found as an official warning on the front page of their website >>>

"Dear WD Registered Customer,

As a valued WD customer we want to make you aware of new reports of Western Digital and other external HDD products experiencing data loss when updating to Apple's OS X Mavericks (10.9). WD is urgently investigating these reports and the possible connection to the WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager and WD SmartWare software applications. Until the issue is understood and the cause identified, WD strongly urges our customers to uninstall these software applications before updating to OS X Mavericks (10.9), or delay upgrading. If you have already upgraded to Mavericks, WD recommends that you remove these applications and restart your computer.

The WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager, and WD SmartWare software applications are not new and have been available from WD for many years, however solely as a precaution WD has removed these applications from our website as we investigate this issue."

Sincerely,
Western Digital"

There's only this post from a "WD community manager" on the WD forum >>>

"There are reports of Western Digital and other external HDD products experiencing data loss when updating to Apple's OS X Mavericks (10.9). Western Digital is urgently investigating these reports and the possible connection to the WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager and WD SmartWare software applications.
Until the issue is understood and the cause identified, WD strongly urges our customers to uninstall these software applications on their systems before updating to OS X Mavericks (10.9), or delay upgrading. If you have already upgraded to Mavericks, WD recommends that you remove these applications and restart your computer. WD has removed these software applications from our web site solely as a precaution as we investigate this issue."

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 31, 2013 07:55 |  #18

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #16412515 (external link)
My Seagate (connected to the Time Capsule) will not mount. Downloaded the newest Seagate software and will try to figure it out soon.

This is a USB drive connected to the new (tower) or old (flat square) Time Capsule? Had it been working before? I have found Time Machine to be rather unreliable since Snow Leopard.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,164 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 31, 2013 09:17 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #19

Old flat square Time Capsule. Had to reset it and now it works fine. Hooked the external Seagate up to the computer directly and it works fine. Have yet to hook the Seagate back up to the TC and see if I can access it over Wifi though. Perhaps tonight.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

swoffa
452 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 31, 2013 21:00 |  #20

For those of you with issues still I just came across this article (external link)and thought I'd share. Maybe it may help(maybe not).
I do not have Mavericks installed so cannot verify if it works, or if it will help with the WD software issue. But if this can help anyone I figure it's worth sharing.

"One easy fix involves changing a little bit of text in your server connection URL. Here's how it works: In the Finder, choose the "Go" menu and select "Connect to Server..." (command-K). Type "cifs://yourservername​" and hit Return; the server should mount.

CIFS (Common Internet File System) is just another name for the SMB protocol, but using it in the server URL forces the Finder to use the older (not broken) SMB1 implementation, rather than the buggy SMB2. It worked for me with both my NAS and my Windows PC, so there's a good chance it will work for you."

bencao
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 01, 2013 00:45 |  #21

Will this affect WD Passport drives when connected to the new late 2013 RMBPs too which comes shipped with Mavericks?

Canon 6D, 600D
EF-S 18-135mm | Sigma 35 f/1.4 | EF 50mm f/1.8 |EF 24-105L f/4 | 600EX-RT

amoergosum
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 02, 2013 03:58 |  #22

Dear WD Registered Customer,

UPDATE: November 1st, 2013

As a valued WD customer we want to make you aware of new reports of Western Digital and other external HDD products experiencing data loss when updating to Apple's OS X Mavericks (10.9). WD is urgently investigating these reports and the possible connection to the WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager and WD SmartWare software applications. Until the issue is understood and the cause identified, WD strongly urges our customers to uninstall these software applications before updating to OS X Mavericks (10.9), or delay upgrading. If you have already upgraded to Mavericks, WD recommends that you remove these applications and restart your computer. If you have already upgraded to Mavericks and are experiencing difficulty in accessing your external hard drive, please do not save anything to the drive, disconnect the drive from your computer, and contact Western Digital Customer Service at http://support.wd.com/​country/ (external link) for further assistance.

The WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager, and WD SmartWare software applications are not new and have been available from WD for many years. However, solely as a precaution WD has removed these applications from our website as we investigate this issue.

Sincerely,
Western Digital

Source:
https://discussions.ap​ple.com …475136?start=16​5&tstart=0 (external link)

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 02, 2013 08:18 as a reply to  @ amoergosum's post |  #23

I feel like an ostrich buried my head in the sand. I have 3TB WD myBook drives that I've already unplugged since I've become aware of the problem. Now I am hearing that Seagate are also affected? My Time Machine and some data files are on a 2TB goFlex. aaargh makes me shivers.

Although I have not experience what everyone has reported. Should I be so careless and keep on using it ?

It's a shame that very little is coming from Apple to help us identify where the issue is coming from. But then again I hear this is normal with Apple when it comes to bug fixes ;)
At least we're getting something from WD now. Here's hoping for the best.

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

killwilly
866 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 02, 2013 09:32 as a reply to  @ Canajun's post |  #24

I use a Seagate Free Agent GoFlex external hard drive and backed up my laptop yesterday following the Mavericks upgrade last Saturday. No problems encountered so far, although, it did take about 45 minutes to do a full backup.

I decided to leave it a week in case I encountered any bugs/issues after the Mavericks download.

My broadband speed is quite slow at 3.65mbs, but I managed the download of Mavericks in just under 3 hours and then 40 minutes to install on my 15" Macbook Pro Retina. I bought the laptop new on 12th August last, so still quite new.

Alan. flickr (external link)
---------------
Canon 7D. Canon 15-85 EF-S Lens. Canon 55-250 EF-S Lens. Speedlite 430ex 11.
Canon EOS-M. Canon 18-55 EF-M Lens. Speedlite 90EX.
Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM.

speedync
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

Nov 02, 2013 17:45 as a reply to  @ killwilly's post |  #25

So why all the anger at WD, when clearly it is an Apple issue?

sansational
Reverse Psychologist
2,384 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 02, 2013 18:05 |  #26

My anger/annoyance is directed at both.

Andrew
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

CallumRD1
426 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 02, 2013 20:03 |  #27

speedync wrote in post #16419223 (external link)
So why all the anger at WD, when clearly it is an Apple issue?

Because the problem is not with WD drives, but the supplied software with them. The developer previews of Mavericks has been out for months. WD should have found the flaw in their software and released an update before the public release of Mavericks. Apple shouldn't be responsible for third party software not being fully comparable. This is exactly why Apple releases developer previews before the public release.

Canon EOS R | EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM • RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro • RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

amoergosum
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 04, 2013 01:15 |  #28

CallumRD1 wrote in post #16419494 (external link)
Because the problem is not with WD drives, but the supplied software with them. The developer previews of Mavericks has been out for months. WD should have found the flaw in their software and released an update before the public release of Mavericks. Apple shouldn't be responsible for third party software not being fully comparable. This is exactly why Apple releases developer previews before the public release.

Some quotes from the Apple forum >>>

I reported it via radar on June 25 (14256955). Happened right after I installed an early Mavericks prerelease. Rebooted, and my Time Machine drive (MyBook connected via FW800) was wiped.

I was able to reproduce the data loss using both FW800 and USB connections, by the way.

I responded to a few requests for more info from Apple, and provided the WD software to Apple. I don't know where the ball was dropped. I was hoping Apple would notify WD, but it doesn't appear that WD has done much of anything, so who knows when they heard about it.

Incidentally, in June I removed the WD software, made peace with my loss of data, and have been running the same disk drive without problems ever since, on Mavericks.

I first reported this issue to Western Digital on 13th September (yes black friday) while using Mavericks Developer Preview 7.

There is an earlier report in the developer forums on Developer Preview 6 titled DP6 Partition/Data loss Promise Technology Pegasus R4 Thunderbolt RAID.

That report was filed with Apple as radar #15076993.

https://devforums.appl​e.com/message/875652 (external link) (developer access required)

"Mavericks is also to blame as it allowed such a destructive process to execute annonomously."

The Western Digital software was probably given those permissions when it was installed, so that it can do its low-level disk access that it needs to do to serve its actual purpose.

Source:
https://discussions.ap​ple.com …475136?start=21​0&tstart=0 (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 13, 2013 14:31 |  #29

Good grief! If folks have years of data on a hard drive I would think Computer 101 would be to make sure it was backed up. And then to make sure it was recently backed up before doing an OS upgrade.

It sounds like technology has exceeded our ability (willingness?) to deal with it.

That said, I have a WD MyBook attached via USB as my TimeMachine drive - no issues.
I also have a Hitachi 1 TB attached via fire wire and a NewTech dock with no problems. This drive contains my images from many years back and is backed up locally and off-site via BackBlaze - $5/month insurance policy protecting all my images.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

sponsored links

7,215 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mavericks corrupts external hard drives!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.