Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lenses for 6D?

chrism_scotland
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 30, 2013 10:19 |  #1

Folks I'm looking for a little advice, I've just sold a Nikon D600 as I was fed up with the dust issues and I'm not willing to fork out the extra for a "fixed" D610... I've had a play with a friends 6D and especially due to the current offers on this in the UK I'm looking to replace my D600 with this.

However I'm looking for some lens advice, ideally I'm looking for a 24mm and 35mm prime and probably a zoom.

On the zoom front I'd probably look for a used 24-105 L but on the 24 and 35 front I wonder if the older non IS lenses were good? They seem a lot cheaper than the newer IS equipped lenses.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 30, 2013 13:05 |  #2

Hi and welcome to POTN.

You will probably be able to find the 6D in kit with a 24-105/4L. That's a good way to buy because effectively the lens is nicely discounted.

However, just so you know, there's an even cheaper alternative. The Canon EF 28-135 IS has been sold a lot in kit with various models for a number of years, so there are a ton of them around on the used market at steep discounts. The image quality, IS, close focusing ability and focus speed (both are USM) are all virtually the same as the 24-105. The 28-135 is slightly soft racked all the way out at 135 (stop it down to f8 to sharpen it up), but of course the 24-105 doesn't go that long at all. The 24-105 has more vignetting at the wide end, but of course the 28-135 doesn't go quite as wide.

Besides the slight difference in the focal lengths, the main differences are that the 28-135 is a variable aperture lens (f3.5-5.6) and the L-series lens is better built and better sealed. But since it's often possible to find at 1/4 or even 1/5 the price, takes every bit as good images and performs just as well, IMO the 28-135 is one of the better bargains out there. Especially if you plan to get some prime lenses to complement the "walkaround" zoom with, anyway.

That said, the older 24/2.8 and 35/2 are not USM lenses. They both have decent image quality, but they use older micro motor focus drive which is a little noisier, slower and less accurate than the USM of the newer IS versions, which also offer improved IQ. Now, on wider lenses like these the micro motor isn't too big a deal, since they only need to move their focusing group a short distance to achieve focus. But USM also allows for "Full Time Manual" (FTM) focus override. With the micro motor lenses, you must turn off AF at the switch, before manually focusing them. Failing to do so, you'll break the AF mechanism. USM lenses, on the other hand, can be manually overridden at any time, without turing off the AF. The skinny focusing rings of the older 24/2.8 and 35/2 don't encourage manual focus, either. Plus the build quality of those older primes, while a couple notches above that of the most entry level lenses like the 50/1.8 II, isn't quite as good as the USM lenses. For example, the older 24/2.8 and 35/2 both have metal bayonet mounts and distance scales, while the 50/1.8 II lacks a scale and uses a plastic bayonet mount. All four lenses are a bit plasticky in construction (isn't everything these days?), but if you compare them side by side you'll find the newer IS versions simply "feel" a bit better built, particularly the 35/2 IS.

So, in other words, there's a lot more to the newer, IS versions than just the stabilization. They are all around better built, better IQ, better focusing lenses... plus the IS (which personally I feel is less-than-necessary on a lens in these focal lengths). Of course, they cost more. And so do their accessories. I'm not sure about Nikon (all my Nikkors are vintage), but many Canon lenses don't include the lens hood. Only L-series include it. The 24/2.8 IS and 35/2. IS are not L-series, and their separately sold matching lens hoods are rather pricey at $54 each, the last I looked. There are considerably cheaper, but just as effective third party clones of the hood for the 24/2.8 IS available (eBay). But they haven't yet begun offering one for the more recently introduced 35/2 IS. I'm sure one will be offered soon, though.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

thepilgrimsdream
100 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 30, 2013 18:11 |  #3

The 24 1.4 II is fantastic lens, the sigma 35 1.4 is great too.

You can watch the forums here for a 24-105L too.

A 85 1.8 is the bargain portrait lens of the canon lens

6d, 5d Mark 2, 135L, 85L II, 17-40L, 85 1.8
http://www.danielfaehl​photo.com/ (external link)
Philadelphia / Bucks County Photography - Willing to Travel

chrism_scotland
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 31, 2013 03:11 |  #4

Thanks for the advice folks, the 24-105 L looks cracking but I can get the body only 6D for £1175 with either a free battery grip or 50mm f1.8 II & 32GB SD Card which seems a bargain v the £1575 body only for a Nikon D610.

With the 24-105 L kit I'm looking at paying an extra £800 when I know I can get the lens for around £500 used.

I've only got 1 Nikon lens left (24mm f2.8 D) which is why I'm not willing to fork out the extra for a "fixed" D600 in the form of the D610.

Lens wise I'd love the 24 f1.4 and the Sigma 35 1.4 (love this lens on my NIkon!) but I can't afford all of them at present! Thats why I've been looking at the older non USM/IS lenses as they're a lot lot cheaper for now, I need to decide between picking up the 24-105 or spending that £500 on a better prime (35 F2 USM or Sigma f1.4 likely)

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 31, 2013 10:59 |  #5

chrism_scotland wrote in post #16412742 (external link)
I've only got 1 Nikon lens left (24mm f2.8 D) which is why I'm not willing to fork out the extra for a "fixed" D600 in the form of the D610.

Lens wise I'd love the 24 f1.4 and the Sigma 35 1.4 (love this lens on my NIkon!) but I can't afford all of them at present! Thats why I've been looking at the older non USM/IS lenses as they're a lot lot cheaper for now, I need to decide between picking up the 24-105 or spending that £500 on a better prime (35 F2 USM or Sigma f1.4 likely)

If you like your 24/2.8D, why not just get a cheap Nikon to Canon adapter and use that lens?

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,309 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lenses for 6D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.