Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
Thread started 31 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 07:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

which lens to bring??

turmoil
144 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 31, 2013 07:32 |  #1

I'm planning to photograph some bands this coming weekend at a small local venue, but there usually isn't much lighting and it's not dynamic. They typically set the lights to a certain level/setting for an entire set and leave it alone for the most part.

I'm going to be shooting with a 6d, but i'm not sure which lens I should bring because I only want to have 1 on me. I have a 17-40 f4L and a 24-70 2.8L and I won't have a flash.

It's a small venue, so I shouldn't have too much of a problem getting close, so I wouldn't mind having the wider lens and I figured I can make up for the additional stop by bumping the ISO a bit. However, there might definitely be some situations where the extra bit of zoom may come in handy...

Which would you bring and why?

Thanks!

sponsored links
onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 31, 2013 08:14 |  #2

I'd use the 24-70. The f2.8 is a godsend in small venues - in my own opinion, having lower ISO is better than having a wider lens. I do totally understand your desire to shoot with a wide lens (I tend to shoot with a wide lens at smaller venues myself), but I think that, at the end of the day, you may well end up frustrated with the f4.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

turmoil
THREAD ­ STARTER
144 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 31, 2013 08:25 |  #3

Yeah, i've been thinking the same thing as well. thanks for the input!

TheAnt
Goldmember
1,386 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 31, 2013 18:54 |  #4

Why not both? It's better to have it and not use it than to not have it.

6D EF 24-70 MkI - Σ 50 mm 1.4 - Σ 15mm 2.8 Fishie - 430EX II - AlienBees -
Website (external link) | Insta (external link) | 500px (external link)

turmoil
THREAD ­ STARTER
144 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 01, 2013 07:56 |  #5

TheAnt wrote in post #16414689 (external link)
Why not both? It's better to have it and not use it than to not have it.

Maybe it's just the worrier in me, but it feels like less of a risk taking the bare minimum amount of gear with me when going into the city. This concert will end late and the neighborhood isn't the best.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 01, 2013 09:21 |  #6

My theory for a small venue is as follows

Grab the fastest lens I have.

Typically smaller venues have minimal lighting and every last bit of lens speed helps, both when focusing and when trying to freeze a guitarist who is jumping round like a squirrel on speed.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

90c4
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 01, 2013 09:52 |  #7

I'd bring both. If your body does well with high ISO, and especially if it's a crop, the 17-40 could be handy. I almost never use my 24-70 in a venue of smaller than 1000 people, and that's on full-frame.

www.facebook.com/stage​shooter (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooter (external link)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 01, 2013 12:33 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

turmoil wrote in post #16412958 (external link)
I'm planning to photograph some bands this coming weekend at a small local venue, but there usually isn't much lighting and it's not dynamic. They typically set the lights to a certain level/setting for an entire set and leave it alone for the most part.

I'm going to be shooting with a 6d, but i'm not sure which lens I should bring because I only want to have 1 on me. I have a 17-40 f4L and a 24-70 2.8L and I won't have a flash.

It's a small venue, so I shouldn't have too much of a problem getting close, so I wouldn't mind having the wider lens and I figured I can make up for the additional stop by bumping the ISO a bit. However, there might definitely be some situations where the extra bit of zoom may come in handy...

Which would you bring and why?

Thanks!

Always bring the most that you have, always research the place if you haven't done much concert shoot before. If it's a big venue the 17-40 lens is going to be good for those shots where you want to photograph the whole band in one go as long as they're not that too spaced out

The 24-70mm is good, but for minute venues, you might struggle unless you just want to shoot one musician at a time

I tend to bring my 16-35mm along with my 24-70mm for small venues, I tend to leave the 70-200mm at home due to weight issues and un-necessary focal lengths (as it's already covered by the 24-70mm)

turmoil
THREAD ­ STARTER
144 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 01, 2013 12:39 |  #9

90c4 wrote in post #16415921 (external link)
I'd bring both. If your body does well with high ISO, and especially if it's a crop, the 17-40 could be handy. I almost never use my 24-70 in a venue of smaller than 1000 people, and that's on full-frame.

The 6d does do pretty well with high ISO, which is why I was heavily debating just bringing the 17-40. It's also full frame as well, so I don't get that nice little 1.6 bump from the APS-C.

RichSoansPhotos wrote in post #16416249 (external link)
Always bring the most that you have, always research the place if you haven't done much concert shoot before. If it's a big venue the 17-40 lens is going to be good for those shots where you want to photograph the whole band in one go as long as they're not that too spaced out

The 24-70mm is good, but for minute venues, you might struggle unless you just want to shoot one musician at a time

I tend to bring my 16-35mm along with my 24-70mm for small venues, I tend to leave the 70-200mm at home due to weight issues and un-necessary focal lengths (as it's already covered by the 24-70mm)

I haven't done much concert shooting, but this venue is very small, which is why I figured the range on a 17-40 would be decent enough.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 01, 2013 13:01 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

turmoil wrote in post #16416268 (external link)
The 6d does do pretty well with high ISO, which is why I was heavily debating just bringing the 17-40. It's also full frame as well, so I don't get that nice little 1.6 bump from the APS-C.

I haven't done much concert shooting, but this venue is very small, which is why I figured the range on a 17-40 would be decent enough.

I would also bring the 24-70mm just in case you want a different variety of shots, don't go there and next day say, "erm, I should of brought my 24-70mm along", it is a good lens for photographing musicians on their own, but it's also wise to do some shots with all the group involved, so the 17-40mm is a good lens for that reason

turmoil
THREAD ­ STARTER
144 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 01, 2013 13:41 |  #11

RichSoansPhotos wrote in post #16416337 (external link)
I would also bring the 24-70mm just in case you want a different variety of shots, don't go there and next day say, "erm, I should of brought my 24-70mm along", it is a good lens for photographing musicians on their own, but it's also wise to do some shots with all the group involved, so the 17-40mm is a good lens for that reason

Hmm, maybe i will...

hopefully i'll have some photos up early next week.
thanks for your help guys!

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Nov 07, 2013 17:54 |  #12

onona wrote in post #16413029 (external link)
I'd use the 24-70. The f2.8 is a godsend in small venues - in my own opinion, having lower ISO is better than having a wider lens. I do totally understand your desire to shoot with a wide lens (I tend to shoot with a wide lens at smaller venues myself), but I think that, at the end of the day, you may well end up frustrated with the f4.

I agree. You can probably step to the back of the venue to get a whole band shot- the perspective of the whole band is better from there anyway.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

turmoil
THREAD ­ STARTER
144 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 12, 2013 07:35 |  #13

I'll have to post some pictures soon, but i'm not sure even my 2.8 was enough for this venue. It was so dark I had to ride my ISO near 12800 or beyond.
I'd definitely love some C&C as well. I thought some of the shots looked good, but in general there is just too much noise.

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 12, 2013 07:49 |  #14

Was there any particular reason why you couldn't use a flash? While I personally dislike using a flash, sometimes it's unavoidable. When used carefully, you can actually avoid typical flash type photos; the trick is to shoot in a way that's not annoying to the performers or punters.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

turmoil
THREAD ­ STARTER
144 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 12, 2013 09:59 |  #15

onona wrote in post #16444912 (external link)
Was there any particular reason why you couldn't use a flash? While I personally dislike using a flash, sometimes it's unavoidable. When used carefully, you can actually avoid typical flash type photos; the trick is to shoot in a way that's not annoying to the performers or punters.

Well, for starters...I don't have a flash yet :)
I may have been able to use one, I just don't know the venue's policy on flash. It was extremely crowded and it's very small, so i'm sure it would've been distracting to the people/performers.

sponsored links

5,785 views & 0 likes for this thread
which lens to bring??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.