Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Oct 2013 (Saturday) 07:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Crazy Lines...

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 26, 2013 07:18 |  #1

I am getting some crazy lines in my LR5 processing. Actually, I got them when I had LR2 and hoped that the upgrade would fix it. For some reason I am thinking it is my card reader. When I look at the image on the back of my camera it shows up perfect but after I upload it to LR I get this... Can anyone let me know what is going on???

Thanks...

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

sponsored links
The ­ Freeman
196 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 26, 2013 07:21 |  #2

You may be spot on. Are you using an external card reader? If not, then buy one and try it. They are very inexpensive. Do you have another memory card you can try out?

pixeljunkieeffigy (external link)

Atl-Fotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 26, 2013 07:25 as a reply to  @ The Freeman's post |  #3

Yeah, this card reader is internal, I will try plugging in an external reader. thanks....

Ron

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,483 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 26, 2013 10:54 |  #4

Could also be the card itself. The fact that the embedded review jpg is ok doesn't preclude the Raw data being corrupted by bad sectors on the card.

Elie / אלי

Atl-Fotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 26, 2013 11:44 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #5

A bad sector was actually my first thought. I will have my computer take a look at the card and see what it can come up with.

Thanks...

Ron

The ­ Freeman
196 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 27, 2013 09:38 |  #6

What was the verdict?

Atl-Fotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 31, 2013 05:24 |  #7

Nope... Not a bad sector on the card... Shucks....

I went out and bought a new card reader and figuring that was what was happening and wrong again. I was able to load images on my laptop and everything looked great but when I put them on my desktop I got the same issue with some of the images... This is driving me nucking futs......

Ron

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 31, 2013 06:40 |  #8

What are you using to view the images on the laptop? Most simple image viewers will, by default, show the embedded jpeg, not the full raw data. As Elie says that embedded image could easily be unaffected while the raw data is corrupted.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 31, 2013 17:48 |  #9

Hmm, troubleshooting is fun! You have to test and eliminate every variable! You say the trouble shows up in Lightroom, so I'd suggest you install the Canon Raw processing software Digital Photo Professional (DPP) and then open a troubled Raw file (in both the Preview window and then the Edit window) and see if this shows up!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

The ­ Freeman
196 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 31, 2013 21:09 |  #10

Atl-Fotos wrote in post #16412836 (external link)
Nope... Not a bad sector on the card... Shucks....

I was able to load images on my laptop and everything looked great but when I put them on my desktop I got the same issue with some of the images...

Well this brings light on the subject!

Do ALL images load good on the laptop? You mentioned that "some" of the images have an issue on your desktop.
Are those images loading fine on the laptop?
IF YES - load the "bad" images on your laptop, load them onto a program ie: photoshop and save as to a folder. Then transfer the saved image on the desktop and see what happens.

OR

You could always load the broken images on your desktop as is and load them in photoshop or lightroom and see what happens.

Sounds like software on your desktop needs a reload.

Let us know what happens.

Atl-Fotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 02, 2013 09:58 as a reply to  @ The Freeman's post |  #11

I like this challenge. And let my start off by saying thank you for your time and effort trying to help me pin down this issue.

To answer the question about all of the image looking good on the laptop... Yes, they all look correct.

To answer the question how am I viewing the images on my laptop...
Directly on the laptop screen.

Here is what I have done so far. I have replaced the internal card reader and connecting cable and I still got some (maybe 20 put of 500) image that had those crazy lines again. Now I have plugged in my external card reader (it is so slow....) and that seems to do the trick. I am in the process of uploading a wedding so I will see if that does the trick.

Ron

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 02, 2013 10:23 |  #12

Atl-Fotos wrote in post #16418384 (external link)
To answer the question how am I viewing the images on my laptop...
Directly on the laptop screen.

The question should have been - What software are you using to view the images on the laptop?

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Atl-Fotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 02, 2013 10:56 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #13

oops...

Lightroom

Ron

The ­ Freeman
196 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 02, 2013 10:58 |  #14

Atl-Fotos wrote in post #16418384 (external link)
Now I have plugged in my external card reader (it is so slow....) and that seems to do the trick. I am in the process of uploading a wedding so I will see if that does the trick.

So the External card reader is working! Great! Keep us updated on the upload of your photos.

Atl-Fotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 02, 2013 11:01 |  #15

So far I have uploaded over 300 images and no lines....

Ron

sponsored links

1,555 views & 0 likes for this thread
Crazy Lines...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.