Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 01 Nov 2013 (Friday) 08:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoshop vs. Photoshop Elements

dhwachs
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 01, 2013 08:25 |  #1

I am at best an "advanced beginner" in photography. I ma already using Lightroom 5 for my post-processing. Is there any benefit to my getting Photoshop as well? If so, do I need "full blown" Photoshop or is Photoshop Elements enough? What are the main differences (other than $550) between the two? Are there other software alternatives?

sponsored links
nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 01, 2013 09:00 |  #2

for the main differnce between pse and photoshop CS6 see http://forums.adobe.co​m/message/4568487#4568​487 (external link)
it takes time to get good grip on any post processing software (at least one year) whether it is CS6 or pse or anyother software
so if you go for pse you still can do a lot once you get good grip of the postprocessing then switching to CS4 or cs5 or cs6 will be
straightforward. but you can start with cs6 as well straight away.

how big difference is depends on your postprocessing skills. when postprocessing skills are elementry you will wonder why is huge
price difference between the two .once your postprocessing skill improve you will know why cs6 cost $550. if you are serius in
photography go for either pse or cs5 or 6 . there are thousands of free tutorials on the web for pse and cs6. but only few for any
other software this is one huge benefit of using pse or cs5 or cs6 over other brand.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,882 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 01, 2013 09:34 |  #3

Depends on your needs of course. What is it that LR is not doing for you? I'd guess by your post that Elements would suit you just fine. Download the trial version and check it out.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

dhwachs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 01, 2013 10:02 |  #4

Thanks for you input Dennis. I haven't really had a huge need to do anything to my pictures that Lightroom doesn't already do for me. I do know that Photoshop does things like allowing you to pull things from one pic into another and combine pictures for a better end result. I assume that those basic features will be available in Elements without having to go to Photoshop

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 01, 2013 10:04 |  #5

D Thompson wrote in post #16415876 (external link)
Depends on your needs of course. What is it that LR is not doing for you? I'd guess by your post that Elements would suit you just fine. Download the trial version and check it out.

I agree. I'm still using PS7 along with a RAW converter & it does everything I need. Any program that has Layers, Adjustment Layers, & Blend Modes should keep you busy & happy for a long time.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,024 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 01, 2013 10:31 |  #6

PSE now pretty much has all the things that a photographer would need. They have finally fully implemented layers, 16 bit support is not great and the version of ACR included is very crippled compared to the full version. As you already have LR then you have the full functionality of ACR within that. The Elements version of ACR will still render images to Elements with full functionality so not a problem there. Also if you do all of the necessary colour correction within LR then you are not so limited by the lack of 16 bit support in Elements either. You used to need to use a pixel editor like Elements more with older versions of LR as the cloning tools were really basic, only allowing you to do circular spots of various size. The new tool in LR5 is apparently much better so even less need for a pixel editor. If I were purchasing now, already had LR5 then the latest version of Elements would be how I would spend my money.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

dhwachs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 01, 2013 10:49 |  #7

Thanks Alan! That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Looks like I'm getting PSE

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 01, 2013 14:09 |  #8

Lightroom is great, since I have it, I almost never touch photoshop.

Gimp is free and very good, there's some bugs now and then, but it does everything you need as a photographer.
PSE basically does the same things as Gimp, but it looks nicer and more professional.
PS is the real deal if you want to do crazy photo-manipulations, it has loads of advanced stuff like adjustment layers, that you probably won't use as a hobby photographer.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

lance60031x
ISO composure
264 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Nov 01, 2013 15:12 |  #9

dhwachs wrote in post #16416034 (external link)
Thanks Alan! That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Looks like I'm getting PSE

I would have to agree with Big Al. PSE is a solid package now for the photographer and it seems a tad easier to learn. I have tried a few times to spend time with PS and have gotten frustrated. My workflow is LR5 and for some "artistic" work at times PSE12.

7d mii, 5d miii, 70-200 f2.8 ii, 17-40 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 24-105 f4, 100 macro L, 300 f4 canon 50 1.4, canon 85 1.8, siggy 35 f1.4 siggy 50 1.4 A

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 01, 2013 16:58 |  #10

Back before Lightroom came out, going from Elements to the "full" version of Photoshop was to me a no-brainer. But once Lightroom came out and was "stabilized", I found less and less of a want/need to do stuff in Photoshop, and newer versions of Lightroom have significantly brought great new improvements.

Today, if I had to choose, I'd go with Elements! And, as has been said, there are plenty of online resources to help you get underway!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,730 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop vs. Photoshop Elements
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.