Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 06 Oct 2013 (Sunday) 11:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Glowing Bride

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 31, 2013 17:32 |  #136

:rolleyes: Here is a novel suggestion... photographer, bridesmaid and bride... go offline and have a discussion.

Peter

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 31, 2013 18:19 |  #137

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16414526 (external link)
:rolleyes: Here is a novel suggestion... photographer, bridesmaid and bride... go offline and have a discussion.

C'mon now. There'd be no Maury Povich, Jerry Springer, or Ricki Lake if people were RATIONAL...

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,093 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 31, 2013 18:28 |  #138

Here is another suggestion. Photographer, bridesmaid and bride . . . go to Maury Povich, Jerry Springer, or Ricki Lake and have a discussion.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 31, 2013 18:31 |  #139

OhLook wrote in post #16414644 (external link)
Here is another suggestion. Photographer, bridesmaid and bride . . . go to Maury Povich, Jerry Springer, or Ricki Lake and have a discussion.

That''s better!

Except I don't have cable. :(

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,093 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 31, 2013 21:01 |  #140

cdifoto wrote in post #16414648 (external link)
That''s better!

Except I don't have cable. :(

Are they on cable now? I wouldn't know. Anyway, not having cable might be considered a bonus.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 31, 2013 21:10 |  #141

OhLook wrote in post #16414910 (external link)
Are they on cable now? I wouldn't know. Anyway, not having cable might be considered a bonus.

I would assume so. All the garbage gets shoved to cable eventually. Cable is to Network TV as New Jersey is to NYC's trash.

I distinctly remember that one from my SATs...and I scored really high on those.

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 01, 2013 15:42 |  #142

SwiftClickPhotography wrote in post #16413165 (external link)
With all respect, it's a simple statement. I'm not hiding behind any 'banner' - just simply stating I am not a professional, I do not charge as such. To everyone reading these posts - I'm not angered someone is criticizing my work - really, like it, hate it - your decision. The part that is sad is half of the things MissSnapper is saying is incorrect. I will see if I have the brides permission to post her e-mails back to me, in which I will include screen shots, because the couple denies everything MissSnapper is saying. Not to add fuel to the fire, but they had a problem with her as a bridesmaid and apologized profusely of the problems she is causing with their photos. Yes, THEIR, photos, not hers. Just because she is a photographer doesn't mean she has the right to step on photos that were done for the bride and groom. Obviously if they felt her work was better, they would have hired her.

Well you're entitled to your opinion regarding which is saddest.

But if you're advertising your services, and you're charging, then you're a pro wedding photographer.

Yes I believe you're using the 'I'm not a pro' as a comfort blanket lest you be judged. But we have a phrase for that: 'Tough Sh i t'. If you don't want people to judge you as a pro, take down the pricelist and shoot for fun.

Do you think 'not being a pro' means it's OK if you screw up, or that you can get away without paying tax, or having insurance? It doesn't work like that. Frankly I don't care about the glowing dress, or your spat with a bridesmaid, but it worries me that a pro wedding photographer can get confused about their professional status :mad:.

Just for clarity - You're a pro wedding photographer ;)

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 01, 2013 17:25 |  #143

I would like to know where the bridesmaid is hiding out that started this whole thread. Tail tucked between her legs, or enjoying the show?

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 01, 2013 18:15 |  #144

Phil V wrote in post #16416769 (external link)
Well you're entitled to your opinion regarding which is saddest.

But if you're advertising your services, and you're charging, then you're a pro wedding photographer.

Yes I believe you're using the 'I'm not a pro' as a comfort blanket lest you be judged. But we have a phrase for that: 'Tough Sh i t'. If you don't want people to judge you as a pro, take down the pricelist and shoot for fun.

Do you think 'not being a pro' means it's OK if you screw up, or that you can get away without paying tax, or having insurance? It doesn't work like that. Frankly I don't care about the glowing dress, or your spat with a bridesmaid, but it worries me that a pro wedding photographer can get confused about their professional status :mad:.

Just for clarity - You're a pro wedding photographer ;)

This. x1000

"Well, you get what you pay for, you should have hired a real pro," is something we tell people who are disappointed with their photos but decided to cheap out. But, on the other side, as the wedding photographer, do you really want that to be your motto?

SwiftClickPhotography
26 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 02, 2013 09:10 |  #145

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16413710 (external link)
Do you tell your clients that you're not a professional photographer ? Because judging by your website you seem to be presenting yourself as a professional--even if it is part time. Does not being a 'professional' mean that you don't have to have insurance or contracts or have backup camera bodies or pay taxes ? I'm unclear about what advantages you think you have by hiding under the 'non-professional' banner.

I don't advertise as a professional. I feel like my work is still amateur-lots to learn yet. When I think of 'professional' photographers, I think of those shooting for magazines, etc. I have insurance, contracts, a backup camera and pay taxes - but still don't consider myself a professional. And actually, yes, I do tell my clients I am not a professional, as they sign a clause line in my contracts that state I am an amateur photographer.

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 02, 2013 09:50 |  #146

Kronie wrote in post #16417029 (external link)
I would like to know where the bridesmaid is hiding out that started this whole thread. Tail tucked between her legs, or enjoying the show?

She was wise enough to remove her statements and step out of this circus.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 02, 2013 10:25 |  #147

SwiftClickPhotography wrote in post #16418294 (external link)
I don't advertise as a professional. I feel like my work is still amateur-lots to learn yet. When I think of 'professional' photographers, I think of those shooting for magazines, etc. I have insurance, contracts, a backup camera and pay taxes - but still don't consider myself a professional. And actually, yes, I do tell my clients I am not a professional, as they sign a clause line in my contracts that state I am an amateur photographer.

Aside from you not understanding what the term professional means. What do you think having them sign a clause in the contract to say you are an amateur achieves?

You are selling a product and the clients as a business and the clients are entitled to all the relevant consumer laws by way of protection. Your clause is 1) pointless and 2) incorrect and 3) daft. It serves no purpose what so ever.

Peter

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 02, 2013 11:10 |  #148

Way too much importance being stated about amateur as compared to professional. I think stressing the fact of being amateur and not professional is just and excuse to allow mistakes. We are all learning regardless of how amateur or professional we have become.

I would never call myself a professional photographer because I work as a professional elsewhere. Likewise I would never call myself an amateur because I have been shooting weddings and other types of photography for over thirty years now and I'd like to think my results can be professional quality without making the amateur mistakes of twenty or thirty years back.

My niece thought she was getting an amateur because I was her uncle and giving her a freebie. She was shocked when she got her photo's and made a comment that even a professionally paid photographer could have given her what I did for free.

Is a airplane pilot just a pilot or would they be a professional pilot? Perhaps an amateur professional. What about a driver? Would they be a professional driver, amateur or amateur professional? I spent twenty years as a full time driver before I moved on to IT. That makes me an experienced driver but no longer a professional since I no longer get paid for it. Certainly not an amateur.

Photography is no different... being amateur can take on several meanings.
1. Someone who does this for pleasure rather than financial benefit. If you charge then I think this definition is invalid.
2. Inexperienced or unskilled in an activity. This seems to be the definition that allows for mistakes.

A professional also acts the part by showing professionalism in both results and practice. Making screen shots of a bridesmaids statements and emailing them to the bride is hardly professional. And why does one have to define their work by how well the subject accepted it? I see one of my nieces take shots so amateur I'd consider her to be a Facebook type photographer, but the subjects love her work, praise her results and tell her she needs to be professional.

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 02, 2013 11:15 |  #149

I've gained a lot of respect for SwiftClickPhotography in this thread.

Thanks for clearing things up in such a professional way.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,567 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 02, 2013 11:31 as a reply to  @ mclaren777's post |  #150

Some time ago I read some place that if your total income is 51 percent and higher, from photography, then you are considered a professional photographer. Quality of work and level of experience is irrelavant.

sponsored links

12,058 views & 0 likes for this thread
Glowing Bride
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.