Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Setting Aspect Ratios in 350D

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 02, 2013 05:09 |  #31

Benedictine wrote in post #16413398 (external link)
I really find this confusing as basically I can not tell whether or not all of the photograph will be printed that I order! This has happened to me quite often and I wish there was some way of knowing before ordering prints. The latest example was a group photo where the people on both left and right were completely cut off although as far as could see there was no reason for them to be. I have now had to order a larger print than I wanted—comes expensive when ordering 8 copies!:(

Think about the ratio (aka the proportions) of the two sides of your standard image out of the camera. If you want to get a print you either need to specify those rather unusual sizes or you will need to crop the image in post processing. Your solution of ordering larger prints then trimming them top and bottom is one answer to the problem.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links
pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 02, 2013 05:28 |  #32

Lowner wrote in post #16418030 (external link)
Think about the ratio (aka the proportions) of the two sides of your standard image out of the camera. If you want to get a print you either need to specify those rather unusual sizes or you will need to crop the image in post processing. Your solution of ordering larger prints then trimming them top and bottom is one answer to the problem.

Ordering larger prints doesn't solve the issue if the print shop doesn't allow the user to specify that the print must not be cropped.

He might just get a larger print spanning the full height of the larger paper but with the sides of the photo losy.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 02, 2013 08:33 |  #33

pwm2 wrote in post #16418036 (external link)
Ordering larger prints doesn't solve the issue if the print shop doesn't allow the user to specify that the print must not be cropped.

He might just get a larger print spanning the full height of the larger paper but with the sides of the photo losy.

The answer is as always, talk to the printer, explain what's wanted.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 02, 2013 08:54 |  #34

Lowner wrote in post #16418238 (external link)
The answer is as always, talk to the printer, explain what's wanted.

Already covered.
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=16413455&po​stcount=15

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 02, 2013 09:44 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

I'm on the opposite spectrum. I try to crop for viewing on my HDTV so usually 16x9 ratio if possible

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 02, 2013 09:58 |  #36

BigAl007 wrote in post #16417482 (external link)
As you are in the UK I recommend DS Colour Labs. The 16"×12" prints that I have had from them have been great, and only £1.10 each! need to do a few though as if you want next day delivery it's £9.00! Normal, post is only £4.50 so not quite so bad. Here is a link to their FAQ page dealing with cropping and your options. (external link)

Alan

Another recommendation for DSCL from me. They are the main printers for most of the camera club members I know (and I am in 3 camera clubs). The prints are excellent quality, suitable for competition entries, and very economically priced.

I usually order around 10-12 prints at a time, 15"x10", and that works out at around £14 - £15 an order (90p a print plus postage).

Alan, you don't need to pay £9,00 for next day delivery (unless it is vitally important). I always pay the basic £4.50 and have always had the prints the next day anyway, so long as I uploaded my order before 1.00

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,899 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 02, 2013 11:22 |  #37

Benedictine wrote in post #16413354 (external link)
Thanks for this. So am I right in saying that what I ought to do is when shooting, for example, a group photography to allow plenty of extra space either side of the group? Sorry if this is a bit dumb but I do not want to make the same mistake again.

EXACTLY!
Unfortunately you never know if someone wants to order any specific shot as ...
4x6", which is 2:3 aspect ratio (1:1.5), or
5x7", which is 5:7 aspect ratio (1:1.4), or
8x10, which is 4:5 aspect ratio (1:1.25), or
11x14", which is 11:14 aspect ratio (1:1.27), or
13x19", whieh is 13:19 aspect ratio (1:1.46)

...or some combination of all of the above sizes, for various purposes like giving away to grandma as a wall portrait and to great grandma as a framed shot for her bookshelf. So simply maximize the number of pixels in both directions, to permit you to crop any specific shot to a specific aspect ratio at the time you create a JPG file -- to send to a printer for ONE specific aspect ratio print, while providing a different JPG file for a different aspect ratio print -- so as to eliminate the unpredictability of how the printer would crop a shot to make it fit the paper size!

Most commercial printers 'stretch' one direction of the image and crop off the other direction of the image, so as to not have any white space on the final print. If you do NOT want that, you have to give specific instructions to the printer to fit one direction without cropping off the other direction. I had to do precisely that when ordering a very large print from MPix many years ago, because they originally cropped off the long direction of the image in order to fill the short direction on the print...called them up to tell them they did it wrong the first time, and I did not mind the white space and that I would trim the final print so the entire image is preserved!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

3,878 views & 0 likes for this thread
Setting Aspect Ratios in 350D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.