Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 06 Oct 2013 (Sunday) 11:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Glowing Bride

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 02, 2013 11:52 |  #151

The bride responded a few posts ago and backed up the photographer. Shouldn't that have ended this entire thread?

sponsored links
RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 02, 2013 12:10 |  #152

flashpoint99 wrote in post #16418567 (external link)
The bride responded a few posts ago and backed up the photographer. Shouldn't that have ended this entire thread?

I guess we are all guilty as you are by adding to it when we have something to say.

What the bride had to say may have ended it as far as the photographer was concerned since she said what the photographer wanted. But just the fact that the bride came here to post reflects upon photographers manipulation of the situation between the bridesmaid and the bride. The photographer did not appreciate her work being criticized so she felt the need to clear her name by turning the bridesmaid into a liar and the brought the bride here to praise the quality of work.

So if you are here for the soap opera of the glowing bride, then yes, it should have ended there. But some have stayed in disagreement of other statements made.

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 02, 2013 16:53 |  #153

RandyMN wrote in post #16418503 (external link)
I think stressing the fact of being amateur and not professional is just and excuse to allow mistakes. We are all learning regardless of how amateur or professional we have become.

this.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 02, 2013 16:55 |  #154

How do we know the bride was really the bride? It's the internet...

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

fontanka
242 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 02, 2013 23:59 |  #155

Doesn't even matter who was real or not. The fact that it got escalated to this degree is shocking.
No matter what happened and who said what shoul photographer get into personal relationship between client and a member of a wedding. Unbelievable.
One first post here was more than enough from the photographer. All the email exchange on a subject between her and the bride is a huge mistake.

www.AnnaMuhhinaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/AnnaM​uhhinaPhotography (external link)

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,976 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 03, 2013 13:06 as a reply to  @ post 16418503 |  #156

Sibil wrote in post #16418538 (external link)
Some time ago I read some place that if your total income is 51 percent and higher, from photography, then you are considered a professional photographer. Quality of work and level of experience is irrelavant.

Well, you heard wrong. Simple fact, if you're selling a service - you can't call yourself an amateur. Because amateur simply means you don't get paid, it doesn't in any way mean you're no good.

SwiftClickPhotography wrote in post #16418294 (external link)
I don't advertise as a professional. I feel like my work is still amateur-lots to learn yet. When I think of 'professional' photographers, I think of those shooting for magazines, etc. I have insurance, contracts, a backup camera and pay taxes - but still don't consider myself a professional. And actually, yes, I do tell my clients I am not a professional, as they sign a clause line in my contracts that state I am an amateur photographer.

You'd still be wrong I'm afraid - amateurs don't get paid. How experienced or talented you are has no bearing on the fact that you're charging money, your customers aren't hiring an amateur (that's an oxymoron). No matter what you see as the distinction, it has no basis in law, and if you tried to use it as a defence (why else would you have it in your contract?) the law would soon bite you on the butt.

The reason the handle 'professional' gets attached to photographer is obvious if you think about it. We do something for money that a lot of people do for fun, so we have to make a distinction.

If someone does enough mechanical engineering to call themselves a mechanic, it's almost certain they're getting paid for it. So there's no need for the 'badge'.

Whereas musicians, artists, photographers, sportsmen and women have to make the distinction because it's something a lot of people do 'for pleasure'.
So whilst every member of this site is a 'photographer' those that charge for their services may sometimes have to add the 'professional' badge to convey that fact.

A 'pilot' might describe himself as being amateur, is not so likely to use 'professional' but will almost certainly use a subtle description like 'airline pilot' or 'fighter pilot'. Most pro photographers don't use the 'professional' badge but use something more subtle too; 'wedding' 'sports' 'fashion' 'editorial'.

Now professionalism is a whole other thing entirely ;)

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 03, 2013 13:12 |  #157

fontanka wrote in post #16419986 (external link)
Doesn't even matter who was real or not.

Pot needed stirred.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 03, 2013 13:19 |  #158

Amateur/Pro really is another debate altogether.

am·a·teur [am-uh-choor, -cher, -ter, am-uh-tur] Show IPA
noun
a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons. Compare professional.
an athlete who has never competed for payment or for a monetary prize.
a person inexperienced or unskilled in a particular activity: Hunting lions is not for amateurs.
a person who admires something; devotee; fan: an amateur of the cinema.
adjective
characteristic of or engaged in by an amateur; nonprofessional: an amateur painter; amateur tennis.

sponsored links

11,474 views & 0 likes for this thread
Glowing Bride
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.