Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 31 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 19:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Did you buy a Nexus 5 today?

Joe.Kelley
322 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 31, 2013 19:16 |  #1

I did... I have been very impressed with my new nexus 7 and love the DSLR app so when this came out today I grabbed one :cool:

Fuji X100s | Sony RX100 II | 5D MKIII (SOLD)| 35L (SOLD) | 70-200 L IS MKII (SOLD)| GoPro Hero3 Black
2 Einsteins | CyberSync System | Vagabond Mini

sponsored links
jhartley
110 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 02, 2013 01:47 |  #2

the wife and myself currently have the Nexus 4, I will be trading mine in for the nexus 5 once T-Mobile has it available through them. I'll be making use of their Jump program. I'm also waiting for them to get the Nexus 7 2013 in stock to buy that too.

70D 18-135 STM, 10-22mm, 24mm STM, 40mm STM, 55-250 STM, 270EX II

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,649 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 02, 2013 01:51 |  #3

If I could break contract with Verizon* the Nexus 5 would be on my short list, the other option I'd consider is the Note 3 (I have the Note 2 right now).

I'm tired of Verizon's obnoxious policies and I'd like to be able to activate a Nexus 7 on their network without playing tricks.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 02, 2013 11:28 |  #4

I am not entirely happy with Nexus 7, got for over a year now, was excited at first but the thing gets progressively slower with time. A big part of it was the Android 4.3 update. I did roll back and if fixed some of the speed issues but I re-updated to get the latest security patches. It also seems there,may be an issue with flash memory degradation over time.

. Also the screen is not that hot, especially for photos. Mine is kind of dull and with slight yellow cast when watching photos. Not that bad really but compared to the awesome calibrated iPad retina screen, night and day. And unlike iPad, very scratch prone.

It's an honest working tablet, but it's cheaply built and doesn't hold the same level of performance in the long run (and yes I did factory reset many times). I use it mainly for work so it works for now.

So I am holding off on all things Google, hardware wise, for now. I hate iOS or I'd buy Mini. Perhaps Galaxy could be the right tablet.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 02, 2013 11:53 |  #5

No I didnt

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,649 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 02, 2013 11:55 |  #6

Amamba wrote in post #16418531 (external link)
I am not entirely happy with Nexus 7, got for over a year now, was excited at first but the thing gets progressively slower with time. A big part of it was the Android 4.3 update. I did roll back and if fixed some of the speed issues but I re-updated to get the latest security patches. It also seems there,may be an issue with flash memory degradation over time.

. Also the screen is not that hot, especially for photos. Mine is kind of dull and with slight yellow cast when watching photos. Not that bad really but compared to the awesome calibrated iPad retina screen, night and day. And unlike iPad, very scratch prone.

It's an honest working tablet, but it's cheaply built and doesn't hold the same level of performance in the long run (and yes I did factory reset many times). I use it mainly for work so it works for now.

So I am holding off on all things Google, hardware wise, for now. I hate iOS or I'd buy Mini. Perhaps Galaxy could be the right tablet.

Known issue with the Tegra 3 really, I doubt the 2013 Nexus 7 will have many of the same issues (unless they screw up a firmware update, but that should be a fixable bug, rather than hardware performance).

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

jhartley
110 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 02, 2013 20:15 |  #7

Amamba wrote in post #16418531 (external link)

It's possible that KitKat will fix some of your performance issues since it is designed to run on lower end devices. I debated for a while between the Nexus 7 2013 and the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and I would much rather get Android updates when they come out then wait and see if Samsung or another manufacture will release them. Or deal with custom ROMS that often don't have everything working on them.

maddog83
61 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 03, 2013 19:08 |  #8

Wish I could. Need to contact Verizon about my Galaxy s4. Downloaded the new 4.3 update and my phone has been having problems staying connected to 3G/4G

jhartley
110 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 04, 2013 05:44 |  #9

maddog83 wrote in post #16421950 (external link)
Wish I could. Need to contact Verizon about my Galaxy s4. Downloaded the new 4.3 update and my phone has been having problems staying connected to 3G/4G

Did you do a factory reset after the update? If not that will probably be the first thing they tell you to do. Always best to do a reset after upgrading the OS.

maddog83
61 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 09, 2013 22:43 |  #10

jhartley wrote in post #16422881 (external link)
Did you do a factory reset after the update? If not that will probably be the first thing they tell you to do. Always best to do a reset after upgrading the OS.

No. Everything seems to have smoothed out. Maybe it was a problem with Verizon

sponsored links

1,369 views & 0 likes for this thread
Did you buy a Nexus 5 today?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.