Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 12 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 10:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D users, friends and their random OT B.S. (II)

this thread is locked
Strontium
Durr?
7,415 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 03, 2013 08:50 |  #6031

MakisM1 wrote in post #16420576 (external link)
That's the trouble, you are worried about precision, not accuracy...

Well, if you wish to get technical (I am a scientist, after all), then sure...

The 3 and 5 look about the same in terms of oof-ness. However, it's subjective due to two things: The paper bleed and the CA... Take your pick as to which is going to screw up your judgement more.

Also, I'm on the fence about using something so high-contrast, as this. It's going to introduce CA in just about most lenses that are not of L quality. I'm leaning toward the battery test, in this instance.

Either spend the $2 for a pre-printed chart or print one out on a laser writer.

Not sure how precision comes into this. It's one shot. Precision has to do with repeatability. Humans are bad, at that.

Edit: However, without precision the test is worthless. If the shot is going to vary, from shot to shot... That's why it is important for the subject to be precise. If the CA is different from one shot, to the next, your subjective measurement of it will also likely be imprecise. Your measurement is only as good as the tools used... And, the chart is a tool.

I am I

sponsored links
Strontium
Durr?
7,415 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 03, 2013 08:50 |  #6032

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3715/10647025115_653cfab96a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/str0ntium/10647​025115/  (external link)
IMG_6700 (external link) by Str0ntium (external link), on Flickr

I am I

pauly916
Goldmember
1,523 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 03, 2013 09:25 |  #6033

Stro I love that shot, abstract and great light so very very cool ;)

Gear- who cares?
Facebook (external link)

Strontium
Durr?
7,415 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 03, 2013 09:35 |  #6034

pauly916 wrote in post #16420666 (external link)
Stro I love that shot, abstract and great light so very very cool ;)

Thanks, Pauly :) Was a whim shot.

I am I

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,626 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 03, 2013 09:38 |  #6035

Str0ntium wrote in post #16420620 (external link)
Well, if you wish to get technical (I am a scientist, after all), then sure...

The 3 and 5 look about the same in terms of oof-ness. However, it's subjective due to two things: The paper bleed and the CA... Take your pick as to which is going to screw up your judgement more.

Also, I'm on the fence about using something so high-contrast, as this. It's going to introduce CA in just about most lenses that are not of L quality. I'm leaning toward the battery test, in this instance.

Either spend the $2 for a pre-printed chart or print one out on a laser writer.

Not sure how precision comes into this. It's one shot. Precision has to do with repeatability. Humans are bad, at that.

Edit: However, without precision the test is worthless. If the shot is going to vary, from shot to shot... That's why it is important for the subject to be precise. If the CA is different from one shot, to the next, your subjective measurement of it will also likely be imprecise. Your measurement is only as good as the tools used... And, the chart is a tool.

I am an engineer and I have spent most of my career in research. I see often people preoccupied with the precision at 2σ, 3σ and not the accuracy of the mean.

I can see the CA and the bleeding, but this does not stop me from judging (roughly) where the OOF starts in either side (back or front). Then, the point of focus is somewhere in the middle between the two. + a millimiter or two in the perceived 4.5 cm backfocusing does not alter the result.

On the other hand, if the lens was focusing at 0+1 or 2 mm, I wouldn't care less.

By the way, this shot (and a couple of hundred others) came from the tests I did for my first copy of the EF 24-70L and were good enough to confirm that this lens was a fail and got returned.

The second copy was spot on...

Learn to use critical judgment and not expect everything to be handed on a plate... See, you got me to sound like an old fart now... :D

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,067 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 03, 2013 09:48 |  #6036

hhhahaha you guys so technical. i don't know anything what ur talking about. i just know how to click the shutter. hahahah.

i think like Adrian Monk, it's a gift and a curse sometimes. hihihi just keep shooting:)

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

Meanderer
312 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 03, 2013 13:28 |  #6037

vinmunoz wrote in post #16420713 (external link)
i think like Andrian Monk, it's a gift and a curse sometimes. hihihi just keep shooting:)

bw!

Rick.
G'day! I'm an Aussie with Permanent Residency in Canada. 60D | Canon 18-55mm IS | Canon 55-250mm IS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 |Σ 70-200 EX DG OS |Σ 24-105 f4| Yongnuo 685 Flash | Yongnuo 560iii Flash | Yongnuo YN622C-TX Controller | pair Yongnuo RF-603C remote triggers
"It doesn't take me all day to do a day's work!"

Meanderer
312 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 03, 2013 14:30 |  #6038

Keeping up with this thread is a challenge at times. My photography 'hobby has had to take a back seat for the past few months. I had some periods exceeding a week at a time, where I didn't get the opportunity to even read posts. Boy they accumulate quickly, and like Adrian Monk, I have to catch up and read every one, whether it is topical for me or not! LoL. Posting has been difficult because I'd be so far behind and out of date. But let me say, there were so many images I'd like to have praised & acknowledge, and respond to various comments and questions.
Hopefully I can get back to contributing .... especially as a Permanent 60D owner. :D
I'm excited with the new 24" Dell U2412M I purchased a couple of weeks ago. I had to wait until this week to get the USB adaptor to connect it to my 17" Acer Laptop and be able to have it run at its native resolution. Amazing how much better range the colours are compared to the Acer screen!!! I'm sure I've been over enhancing in Post Prod to get images to look correct when it was the Laptops screen that was letting me down. Web pages are just so much more 'alive' with this new monitor!!
I'm looking forward to next Friday when my new Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB100 Tripod/ Ball Head / Carry Bag arrive from Amazon.ca. I've had to make do with my old Nord pod that has a quick release plate but doesn't have a removable pan head. :/ . Nor did the legs splay independently or to multiple angles. I'll keep it for a light/flash stand!!!

Rick.
G'day! I'm an Aussie with Permanent Residency in Canada. 60D | Canon 18-55mm IS | Canon 55-250mm IS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 |Σ 70-200 EX DG OS |Σ 24-105 f4| Yongnuo 685 Flash | Yongnuo 560iii Flash | Yongnuo YN622C-TX Controller | pair Yongnuo RF-603C remote triggers
"It doesn't take me all day to do a day's work!"

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 03, 2013 14:36 |  #6039

Congrats Rick.

On the tripod, I bought the same one some time ago at a Fry's Electronics sale. It is a great tripod for the price and highly recommend it.

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

Strontium
Durr?
7,415 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 03, 2013 15:03 |  #6040

MakisM1 wrote in post #16420693 (external link)
I am an engineer and I have spent most of my career in research. I see often people preoccupied with the precision at 2σ, 3σ and not the accuracy of the mean.

I can see the CA and the bleeding, but this does not stop me from judging (roughly) where the OOF starts in either side (back or front). Then, the point of focus is somewhere in the middle between the two. + a millimiter or two in the perceived 4.5 cm backfocusing does not alter the result.

On the other hand, if the lens was focusing at 0+1 or 2 mm, I wouldn't care less.

By the way, this shot (and a couple of hundred others) came from the tests I did for my first copy of the EF 24-70L and were good enough to confirm that this lens was a fail and got returned.

The second copy was spot on...

Learn to use critical judgment and not expect everything to be handed on a plate... See, you got me to sound like an old fart now... :D

Critical judgement is fine and dandy...for scientists. We're speaking with mostly non-technical people, here. My point wasn't meant to sound "picky". My point was simple. Unrepeatable results are useless.

Obviously, for this use, it's not as critical. Mainly, I was being facetious...

You don't sound like an old fart, you sound like a nerd :lol:

I am I

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 03, 2013 16:35 |  #6041

Random post:

If you are selling gear and you have not had any bites here, I'd definitely recommend Amazon.

I've sold a good amount of stuff (books, camera gear, other electronics, etc.) on Amazon. Fees are pretty minimal and it's a definitely a place that creates a lot of traffic.

I had my 50mm 1.8 II listed for $85 + $4.99 shipping (Amazon has standard shipping prices depending on the product).

Keep in mind I listed this last night. Sold about an hour ago. I get just under $82 in return.

With current eBay/PayPal fees, Amazon is a good 'last resort.'

Lastly, if you are selling it for the lowest price in the MarketPlace, you're guaranteed to be the first hit when people are searching.

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,067 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 03, 2013 16:50 |  #6042

thanks CJ. I will try that. My 50mm and Grip has no inquiries yet.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 03, 2013 16:55 |  #6043

vinmunoz wrote in post #16421627 (external link)
thanks CJ. I will try that. My 50mm and Grip has no inquiries yet.

Oh and one more thing -- since I do most of my shopping online, I keep my boxes and packaging for a good amount of time. Saves costs on shipping since you have the materials already.

Chad or CJ

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,067 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 03, 2013 17:03 |  #6044

yah i keep the boxes too. you know, i do buy and sell :)

The truth is.... if i have $$$$, i'm buying only and not selling. now i end up with lenses that i only need for what i shoot most. the addtition of rokinon 14mm will cover my wide needs. perhaps in the future, a 2x extender for my 70-200, that's it.

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,067 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 03, 2013 18:43 |  #6045

NSFW warning.

i just wanna share one shot from the sigma 35 at f1.4
http://farm6.staticfli​ckr.com …59433835_b12d34​8b9e_b.jpg (external link)

sponsored links

651,200 views & 0 likes for this thread
60D users, friends and their random OT B.S. (II)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.