Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 25 Oct 2013 (Friday) 20:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kaktovik Polar Bears

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 27, 2013 13:38 |  #16

Ok Drew were you on the ground ????

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
J.Litton
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 27, 2013 14:08 |  #17

Great job! Another thing bookmarked to do!

7D MK II.17-40L.100-400L.500L
www.jlitton.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/jlitt​on.nature.photography (external link)

drewhh
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 28, 2013 22:13 |  #18

Tracey Harmon wrote in post #16399780 (external link)
Hey Drew,

Nice photos of Polar Bears. I gotta' hop on a plane and do that! BTW, I enjoyed my all too-short visit with you and the bears at Mc Neil (if I failed to say thank you before).

Tracey

Hey, Tracey, you need to get up there. Right now it has a really 'homegrown' feel to it. I'd recommend going before it gets big. There are only 3 USCG licensed operators right now. We went with Keitil Reitan. If you are a mushing fan you might recognize his name. He was great.
You were out at McNeil during the hottest of the hot stretch. It will got down in history as an actual summer. HA.

switched to olympus

drewhh
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 28, 2013 22:15 |  #19

Pondrader wrote in post #16403285 (external link)
Ok Drew were you on the ground ????

Nope, on a boat. It was interesting that the bears pretty much ignored the boats but when a 4 wheeler fired up in town they all looked up to check it out. That's what they are doing in the pic where all their heads are up. We we only 1/2 mile from town so it was easy to hear.

switched to olympus

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
18,879 posts
Gallery: 1848 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 29, 2013 00:07 |  #20

Must have just missed you...we were in Kaktovik in the same time period:

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5503/10419939174_bf7a13ff06_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …icineman4040/10​419939174/  (external link)
Bears (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

drewhh
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 29, 2013 01:32 |  #21

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #16407389 (external link)
Must have just missed you...we were in Kaktovik in the same time period:
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …icineman4040/10​419939174/  (external link)
Bears (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

Great shot. Were you there for the first snow? There was about 4" when we got there.

switched to olympus

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
18,879 posts
Gallery: 1848 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 29, 2013 01:45 |  #22

thanks drewhh (and me incredibly jealous that you live in Alaska!!)
Yes a good snow on the ground and a little blizzard for the first morning shots. I would not have liked shooting them on dirt :)
The polar bear patrol had dispatched a juvenile the morning we flew in from Deadhorse, got video of the carcass and skull, if you're ever bored out of your mind medicineman4040 on youtube with lots of vids of the whole trip and one specifically of the bears-I used a new 70D and compared to a Sony A77. No surprise but sony is still winning the video department, though the 70D is no slouch.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

Grizz1
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 30, 2013 21:46 |  #23

Superb, very enjoyable viewing your photos.BTW, love visiting your state, the scenery and wildlife are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

Mybludog
273 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 02, 2013 20:35 |  #24

Hello All,

I'm new here and pretty green when it comes to photography. Just joined the forum as i'm off to Churchill, Manitoba in a couple of weeks to view some Polar Bears.
I've got a 5D Mk3 and i'm wondering what sort of settings I should be using.
Don't want to just go Auto with everything as that's one of the reasons I bought the 5D. I've done a bit in the past with my daughters 40D but she got up me for changing the settings.....lol
I won't get a chance to experiment to much before I go and obviously conditions here are about as opposite as i'll get to Churchill.

So i'm wondering if i'll have any trouble with overexposure or should I be playing with the White Balance seeing as most everything is white (or i'm guessing it will be when I get there)

Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated.

thanx Russell

Just like a dung beetle......flickr (external link)

Jewel
233 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Nov 03, 2013 16:05 |  #25

OMG, amazing. Do you ever get to see / photograph the aurora borialas? Would love to see some shots of that.

drewhh
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 03, 2013 17:12 |  #26

Unfortunately I don't have any site specific advice for Churchill. I've never ben there.

What I can offer up is that my polar bear shots were all shot in either AV mode (for aperture control) or M (full manual mode).
Set your ISO as low as you can to keep your shutter speed fast enough to stop whatever action there might be. That shutter speed is going to be somewhere over the reciprocal value of the focal length of your lens (a 400 mm lens means you want to shoot at least 1/400). I don't imaging these polar bears moving all that fast unless they are playing so you might be able to get away with some lower shutter speed in an artistic set up. This is how you see blurred fur and water on shots of bears shaking off (usually a classic brown bear shot).

Since you are not going to have time to play around with your camera I would advise you not to be scared of the AUTO setting. Especially in the brightest part of the day with the flash turned off (consult your manual on how to do this before you start taking shots and your flash keeps popping up and distracting you from shooting). It would be a shame to go all the way to Churchill and miss a bunch of good shots because you are messing around with your camera. You bought a VERY smart camera and it will take awesome shots on it's own.

Ask your guide and party members for advice. If your guide is good they should at least be able to set you up with the basics of the camera. Don't be afraid to ask what settings other people are shooting. Just don't interrupt of they are actively shooting.

Just use some test shots to figure out your white balance but don't sweat it too much. While it is always best to do it right the first time it is easy enough to change in post processing.

Have fun in Churchill,
Drew
If your guide is Justin G tell him I said "what's up?"

Mybludog wrote in post #16419576 (external link)
Hello All,

I'm new here and pretty green when it comes to photography. Just joined the forum as i'm off to Churchill, Manitoba in a couple of weeks to view some Polar Bears.
I've got a 5D Mk3 and i'm wondering what sort of settings I should be using.
Don't want to just go Auto with everything as that's one of the reasons I bought the 5D. I've done a bit in the past with my daughters 40D but she got up me for changing the settings.....lol
I won't get a chance to experiment to much before I go and obviously conditions here are about as opposite as i'll get to Churchill.

So i'm wondering if i'll have any trouble with overexposure or should I be playing with the White Balance seeing as most everything is white (or i'm guessing it will be when I get there)

Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated.

thanx Russell

switched to olympus

drewhh
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 03, 2013 17:13 |  #27

I haven't seen the auroras in a while. I have trouble staying up that late at night.

Jewel wrote in post #16421507 (external link)
OMG, amazing. Do you ever get to see / photograph the aurora borialas? Would love to see some shots of that.

switched to olympus

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 03, 2013 17:25 |  #28

Great series and even better shots. Thanks for sharing.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,170 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 06, 2013 12:19 |  #29

Great shots. Photographing polar bears in the wild is on my bucket list. It is one of the few native North American large mammals I have yet to see and photograph.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

tomholman
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 06, 2013 12:30 |  #30

You got some really nice shots!

Tom
My Home (external link)
http://www.nthelight.c​om/ (external link)

sponsored links

8,514 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kaktovik Polar Bears
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.