Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Nov 2013 (Monday) 15:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I had the worst experience with Canon 5D.

TETRAGRAMATON
118 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 04, 2013 15:15 |  #1

Long story short, a two weeks ago I was photographing a wedding where after the first 40 minutes after I started the mirror of my Canon 5D fall down. I pick up my second, backup, body, which was also a 5D, and after another 30 minutes the mirror of my backup body also fall down.... it was the worst nightmare scenario that I could think of.
I was never aware of this so call falling mirror issue with the old Canon 5D's. Very disappointed with Canon ....
And I still can not belive how this happen to two cameras at the same day, and I had them for very long time.
Anyone else who experienced similar problem with this cameras ?

Professional Portrait and Headshot photographer in London (external link)

sponsored links
runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 04, 2013 15:26 |  #2

Did you have ther mirror fix done, way back when Canon announced the adhesive issue?

My Gear

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 04, 2013 15:29 |  #3

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …il&docId=0901e0​248004cd94 (external link)

My Gear

smmokan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 04, 2013 15:31 |  #4

You've been a member here for seven years, with two 5Ds, and you've never heard of this problem? I had a 5D (classic) for 3 months last summer and I always carried around a non-5D backup just in case it happened.

www.ChasingEpicMTB.com (external link)

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 04, 2013 15:33 |  #5

smmokan wrote in post #16424153 (external link)
You've been a member here for seven years, with two 5Ds, and you've never heard of this problem? I had a 5D (classic) for 3 months last summer and I always carried around a non-5D backup just in case it happened.

Not all long-time members hang out here like some of us. He only has 58 posts.

My Gear

Russo09
736 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 04, 2013 15:35 |  #6

That just seems like bad luck to me that they both happened in the same scenario. Canon addressed the issue, and personally if a camera has a known problem and can still last as long as it has (couple of years), I don't think it's anything to be disappointed in Canon about.

-Nick
Canon 5D Mark 3 | Sigma 85mm 1.4 | Canon 17-40mm f2L

lilkngster
727 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 04, 2013 15:46 |  #7

Twice in one day? Were the cameras exposed to high humidity or any temperature extremes that might cause the adhesive to fail?

The good news is that Canon will service your camera, fix the mirror, and do a CLA for free, as it is part of the service advisory. I dropped mine off last fri for a clean and check and they told me the mirror had not been fixed previously. I pick up today!

Edit: as a professional wedding photographer, shouldnt a routine check up be part of the routine? You cannot expect the camera to last forever and if you qualify for CPS, there is no reason not have your cameras looked at yearly.

6dII/1dIII|Bronica Sq-Ai/EOS 3/A1

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 04, 2013 15:48 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

If it were Nikon they would have never acknowledge a problem. Instead release a new model one year later (Yes I shoot Nikon)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,052 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 04, 2013 16:52 |  #9

The OP is based in London and Canon UK refuse to recognise or correct the 5D mirror fault. So no option to get the mirror dealt with beforehand and a charge to fix it if it does fail.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

mainbyte
332 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 04, 2013 17:05 |  #10

BigAl007 wrote in post #16424356 (external link)
The OP is based in London and Canon UK refuse to recognise or correct the 5D mirror fault. So no option to get the mirror dealt with beforehand and a charge to fix it if it does fail.

Alan

Isn't the UK in Europe :>;)

http://cpn.canon-europe.com …s/eos_5d_mirror​_repair.do (external link)

Ron

Canon 6D | Canon 7DII | 17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 70-300 4/5.6L |100mm f/2.8L macro | 50mm 1.4 | 580exII | 2 - 430exII |

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,994 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 04, 2013 18:17 |  #11

Yes, it will be fixed in the UK as well, not sure where Alan got his info. The only thing I remember being an issue is that people couldn't just proactively send in their camera for the purported fix, your camera has to actually fail.

http://www.secretmount​ain.co.uk …-of-my-canon-5d-fell-off/ (external link)
http://www.boards.ie …p?p=73958411&po​stcount=10 (external link)

One of the reasons both mirrors failed could be that it seems like the climate/weather has a big impact on the adhesive letting go. It is logical considering both failed on the same day, and when the problem first came about, it was determined to be the most likely issue.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,640 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 04, 2013 18:43 |  #12

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16424578 (external link)
Yes, it will be fixed in the UK as well, not sure where Alan got his info. The only thing I remember being an issue is that people couldn't just proactively send in their camera for the purported fix, your camera has to actually fail.

That is the indication at http://www.canon.co.uk …t&faqtcmuri=tcm​:14-623626 (external link) where it is clearly stated

Affected Products
EOS 5D Digital SLR cameras whose main mirror has detached.

"has" is past tense unfortunately but at least the OP should now have some recourse.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 04, 2013 19:16 |  #13

That is a bad string of luck.... :(

cputeq007
585 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 04, 2013 20:00 |  #14

TETRAGRAMATON wrote in post #16424113 (external link)
Long story short, a two weeks ago I was photographing a wedding where after the first 40 minutes after I started the mirror of my Canon 5D fall down. I pick up my second, backup, body, which was also a 5D, and after another 30 minutes the mirror of my backup body also fall down.... it was the worst nightmare scenario that I could think of.
I was never aware of this so call falling mirror issue with the old Canon 5D's. Very disappointed with Canon ....
And I still can not belive how this happen to two cameras at the same day, and I had them for very long time.
Anyone else who experienced similar problem with this cameras ?

Man that sucks. Murphy had it out for you!

Question - were you still able to recover and shoot the wedding?

Flickr (external link)
I own camera stuff

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 04, 2013 22:46 |  #15

As you found out, it's a common problem with the original 5D (a recall was done, plus it was remedied late in production and on subsequent models). It's pretty surprising for it to occur on two cameras within minutes of each other!

If you are shooting professionally with your Canon, you would be advised to register your gear with Canon, perhaps join CPS. Then you'd get announcements of issues such as the 5D mirror failure well in advance and when Canon is offering a fix under a recall (ended now, but they will still repair after a failure).

Also, most pros have their gear "tuned up" every year or two, depending upon how heavily they use them. The problem might well have been caught and fixed during one of those tune-ups, rather than failing on site at an important job.

I am not trying to cut Canon any slack... It was their screw-up with the 5D classic mirror, that it wasn't more securely and properly installed to begin with. But they have to be given credit for having gone to great lengths to notify people about the problem and fix it proactively. They issued a recall notice to owners who registered their gear, and publicized it a number of ways. The problem has been openly discussed widely on the Internet, including here on POTN and every other major online blog, magazines, professional trade associations.... a lot! IMO you'd almost have to be living in an alternate universe to not have heard about it!

I have to lay a little responsibility on anyone using an 8 year old camera for work, that they need to maintain their gear in a professional manner, too. It's simply part of "doing business" as a photographer. If OP has been getting their gear serviced regularly, I'd be looking around for a better service tech! Camera repair techs have their own networking and discuss common problems and fixes a lot among themselves. The 5D mirror issue is bound to have been discussed, especially considering how popular the camera has been among professionals, especially wedding photogs.

It does suck, to have two cameras fail at a wedding! Been there, done that. If there is any place that camera gear is most likely to fail, it's at a wedding. Maybe it's all the angst in the air.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links

4,572 views & 0 likes for this thread
I had the worst experience with Canon 5D.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.